Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Jazz Festival in New Orleans - anybody been?

Went two years in a row. Always a great time.

Go there and discover new acts. Wander around from stage to stage, you never know what you are going to hear. It's a great atmosphere, nice weather and soulful sounds.

(Ironically, there is less traditional jazz there than any other type of music)

Dont forget abou the food. Some of the best food I've had in New Orleans has come from those vendors. Since portions arent so big, you can sample many delightful dishes.

Get one of those portable chairs though, makes it much easier.

Have fun!

Originally posted by ReginaP:

Sure! smile.gif Let me know if you need any advice on restaurants or places to go at night too smile.gif

Great..its been awhile since I've been to New Orleans...so I will write to u about a week before.

smile.gif

s

------------------

Slowly..slowly..act like you know me...

omg...the best thing they sell at jazz fest...

the homemade lemonade!!!!! how good is that when it 98 degrees out... smile.gif

I am not going this year..I am going to detroit for the DEMF a few weeks later...that's my trip smile.gif

------------------

" I give in to sin ..Because you have to make this life liveable "-DM

Smoknjilly@aol.com

i haven't been since 1997, and before then, i went for five years in a row!!!

each time got consecutively better too. . . almost as good as BluesFest in Chicago. . .

you'll have a great time. . . cwm35.gif

------------------

no bullshit, no drama, just pimpin' since 1976. . .

4 years in a row... smile.gif It's excellent!!

But be prepared to be out in the VERY hot weather all day...bring very light clothing and lots of sunscreen...

All diff kinds of music...all diff kinds of people...many people make these interesting poles with flags etc flying on them...so their group can always find em in the crowd!!

-J

------------------

" I give in to sin ..Because you have to make this life liveable "-DM

Smoknjilly@aol.com

Hey Jilly...we've met before..Sneha..I don't know if u remember me..anyways my sis is there working right now, adn she got a fully furnished corporate apt in Canal and Bourbon...

I'm used to New Orleans weather, so the hot weather won't bother me, I grew up in Houston and the weather is the same...are you going this year???

s

------------------

Slowly..slowly..act like you know me...

I went a few years ago -- in fact, I sang with a group there in 1998. It's amazing -- you'll have an excellent time!!

- meli -

------------------

meli.jpg

"This is not political - it's just that I demand attention when I walk into the room..." -- Nelly Furtado

AIM: MeliChaCha

This is my senior year at Tulane, and I couldn't have said it any better than Jill. It's an excellent time, much better than mardi gras. There are some big names--Paul Simon, Mystikal, Dave Matthews Band--but for the most part its New Orleans jazz & funk. Everyone has a good time smile.gif

------------------

=)

reginadp121@aol.com

Like Jilly and ReginaP I also went to school in the Big Easy, so from ample experience, I tell ya you're gonna have a blast!

My fave thing about Jazz Fest- the food! There are tons of vendors selling all different varieties. God, I miss New Orleans cuisine!

------------------

I never try anything, I just do it... Wanna try me?

pussycat.jpg

yup, this year will be my fifth jazz fest. Lots of good food to be had there too.

2 tips:

1)don't drink during the day because you'll just got dehydrated and feel like shite. save the partying for the evening.

2)don't preoccupy yourself with the big name acts. check out the 'side' stages and the local talent. it's soooo much more interesting.

------------------

DM

foto_nova_lahev.jpg

but sometimes I'm in the mood for the mandarin orange tea. ;-) So, by the end of the day, I drink at least one of each.

Originally posted by Jilly:

omg...the best thing they sell at jazz fest...

the homemade lemonade!!!!! how good is that when it 98 degrees out... smile.gif

I am not going this year..I am going to detroit for the DEMF a few weeks later...that's my trip smile.gif

------------------

DM

foto_nova_lahev.jpg

NO is da shit...my rommaate in Austin was from there, so we used to drive up all the time...and Jazz Fest is da bomb..usually lasts 2 weeks...all kindsa music...and a wholelotta funk- rebirth, galactic, funky meteres are there every year...sometimes parliament, the roots...mysitcal, paul simon and ben harper and my absolute fav.- g-love and special sauce are a fixture..i actually saw gary (mr. g-love) @ the french quarters...and the food- mmm mmm mmm..hey look out for the comic/breakdancers @ the amphitheatre in jackson sq. -they're a trip...

have a good time, girl....i'm jealous