Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Gay Pride Parade

Who here went to check it out? What did you think, and how did it compare to past editions?

I'm not gay, but since it has happening walking distance from home, and I had heard about what a big production itwis (geez, where have I been all this time???), I decided to go check it out. I guess it would be a good show for all, no matter who you are, and indeed it was.

I thought it would last only an hour or two, and I would be able to get some more rest after my 2 hours of sleep following LL and Exit... but it was 4 hours from the moment the first float (actually, the groups of bikers) passed by, to the last!

Seemed that pretty much every ethnicity, religion, activity had a gay organization, and they all represented - not surprising to me, but still interesting. Maybe there were some substantial delays in stopping to let cars go across 5th Ave.

I think Cyndi Lauper was the best-known figure in appearance. I heard her sing "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" (how many times did she have to do that throughout the day?) and "Disco Inferno".

Too bad Luke Perry (of 90210 fame) wasn't there when the Rocky Horror Picture Show float came by. smile.gif

For those who don't know, he's in the show until some time in July.

Other interesting (IMO) observations:

1. someone wearing that costume of a vagina

2. a guy wearing tighty whities who mooned the crowd

3. someone who walked barefoot - luckily for him, it was cloudy, so the sun wasn't beating down on the street!

4. I heard "Shackles" played by 3 different floats smile.gif

5. Cries of "Fuck Giuliani" from a handful of the floats

6. Some dragster who got uncomfortable with these (red) really high heels, that he had to take them off and walk in socks, at least for as far as I could see

7. The woman with the Cornell group who decided to march topless - maybe seemed strange to me since no other females did it, though there were some flashers.

Even a female in the audience (who I think was also gay) had quite a reaction to seeing that.

So for anyone who was able to make it to Junior's performance (and willing to pay the $60), or Calderone at Hammerstein (for $75), how did it go?

[This message has been edited by dw (edited 06-25-2001).]

I didn't see Cindi Lauper!!! Dammit!!! I did on the other hand see the guy in the tighty whities...oy vey.

This was my first paraded and I thought I'd feel weird being there since I'm not gay but they make everybody feel welcome, gays, lesbians, bisexuals, bicurious, straight, everybody. It was very cool. I'm definitely going back next year.

------------------

You're only young once

sa1328.jpg