Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Junior reviews?

I'm surprised to not see any reviews of Junior at Roxy last Sunday... how was it? Worth the $60?

Also, did anyone go to the Hammerstein Ballroom for Victor Calderone and co.? How was that?

Originally posted by nitro449:

He probably wuz good but no party is worth $60. bucks

At least it's not a New Year's party or a political fundraiser. smile.gif

I thought it was a bit steep too, but if it's a special party, I guess it could be justified...

The thing at the Hammerstein (with VC) was $75, though had more acts.

I believe advanced tix for the Creamfields thing costs $55, though it has more DJ's and probably lasts longer.

*chop chop*

The orchestra played Nightmare and Relentless.

Oh and Jr was well worth $60.

Played: (in no particular oder)

So Get Up

Melody of Love

Step X Step

Reap 2001

Who Do U Love?

One by One

Sweet Mercy Me

Too Far

That Look

In the Dark We Live

Electric Avenue 2001

House Music

Systems of Silence

Absolutely Not

Brazen (Weep)

Survivor

One More Time

The Cure

Sum' Lovin'

Fine

All and All

Can't Help Myself

Big Love/Thinking of You

Hallelujah!

Buggin' on 101

Keep Control

Atom Bomb

Plastic Dreams

Love's On Time

Continuous Cool

Straight Up

It's Gonna Be a Lovely Day

Let's Go

Love Break

Pride/A Deeper Love 2000

The Pressure

What Hope Have I

Troubles Don't Last Always

Reach for Me

Feel This 2000

Dreamlover

Perculator

Thieves in the Temple

You Take My Breath Away

Feel Like Singin'

Heard It All Before

I'm Caught Up (in a One Night Love Affair)

Work it to the Bone

Can U Party

Get Ur Freak On

Your Child

Don't Tell Me

Music Xpress

Anyone care to add??? cwm38.gif

------------------

There's so many ways to do it, there's so many ways to see.

But the only way to do it, is to do it properly.

~Robert Clivilles & David Cole

This review is taken from another forum, you cant get a better review then this:

-----------------------------------------

Important Note: A BIG THANKS to Tup and Rahnee for assisting me in compiling this review. Couldn't have done it without ya! Have a safe trip back to DC Rahnee!

Well the night started off kind of serious to a degree with probably many phone chain messages going througout the city that security was not playing around and were doing extensive searching and for the most part, if found with ecoutrements, buh-bye - not comin' in. A few were arrested b/c the amounts they had apparently. If even a few within a group were found with stuff, the entire group might not have been welcomed in. It was the strictest security I've experienced in this city in a very long time. We're talkin' major here folks - investigating ALL areas of the body and some even having to remove their shoes. Metal detectors were setup as well. Roxy was crowded for the most part, but curious how many were not allowed access or decided not to come at all. Inside, security was standing guard with some flash light inspections and I saw two people look around the dancefloor, then film a certain areas over the early morning - not sure what this was all about. The energy b/c of all of this when getting in the club was kind of low and many just seemed to be milling about, probably wondering if some of their friends would make it in, etc. As the day progressed though, things settled down and the energy and party "really" picked up and Junior gave us a phenomenal day (imo)!

Junior's booth was huge. Built high up at the end of the dancefloor where the couches usually are with sound equipment behind it as well. You could get a 360 view of the booth walking around. Additions to the system were very prevalent with numerous bins along the dancefloor - same ones from Caligula the night before. Sound was great but bass was heavy at times. Additional intellibeams and discoball setup as well and Mike worked it all quite well!

Manny Lehman was in the usual dj booth and they didn't utilize the full system for him. Probably a tough night for him with how people's mindset was when entering the club. I only heard the last tracks of his set which were:

-DJ Dero - Mayday 2000

-TP2K mix Lady Marmalade

-Dive in the Pool

Junior started off with the Phazon system obviously being kicked into high hear with a "ocean wave sound" circulating all over the dancefloor in complete darkness which was really cool, then putting in the acc. of Razor's "Music" track into Electric Avenue 2001 remix that's a big UK hit as well - he played it later on in the day too. And then the day just got started and he really gave us a reason to "celebrate." Such a great mix of tracks old, new and recent. I think most of the posters/readers here in attendance were satisfied. For me, it was sooo much better than last year and at the end of the day, it was truly - a "party" and not just another big event for me and hopefully most.

Tracks that caused major reactions:

-Too Far! OH MY GOD! This appearance was truly shocking and so unexpected for anyone of us really wanting him to drop it and it not occuring for such a long time. He made sure that track pounded out of the system too pushing the levels up higher! Thank you soooo much!!!

-De'Lacy - That Look - Hani's Club Look - another incredible welcomed surprise!

-In The Dark We Live! - I *LOVE* my clanks and he seemed to be working two copies of the track for a bit....WERK!

-Sweet Mercy Me - Junior's Arena Anthem

-Melody of Love - posted that I hoped to hear this - glad I was served it

-Who Do You Love?

-One by One

-Step By Step - SO HAPPY TO HEAR THIS!

New Mixes:

-House Music - hearing it on a much better system than Disney's - love it!

-Systems of Silence - very upbeat and punchy beats - positive comments from others as well about this mix

-Barry Harris feat. Pepper Mashay - I've Got My Pride - seemed like a Jr. mix. Not really into this track all that much so was okay. Doesn't include the male "Pride" chant chorus part the original has of note.

-Niki Harris - Total Love - heard a chorus that seemed to include this line, but seemed like the vocal was underneath the music - have to hear it again to describe/remember elements of it.

-Deborah Cox -Absolutely Not - Jr uses some lyric repetitions in his, as compared to Hex's like "work..." (don't know the lyrics yet) throughout the mix. He then went into Hex' mix after his but cd started to skip so had to kind of cut that short - cd player seemed to have skipping issues a few times throughout the day.

-what sounded like something Junior would do - a new Kevin Aviance track to which Kevin performed too - anyone know what Kevin is working on currently?

Tracks throughout the day:

-USOL - So Get Up!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Brazen (Weep) - always a welcome appearance!

-Jr's mix of Survivor

-Jr's mix of Hide U

-Sum Luvin' - this mix had a lot of layering repititions of the vocal...(?? of mix or just heavily playing with sampling possibly)

-Fine

-All and All

-Can't Help Myself

-Big Love/Thinking of You

-Hallelujah

-Buggin' on 101

-Sono - Keep Control (Terry Lee Brown Jr.)

-Technotronic - Runaway Blues

-Sun People - Revelation - Earth Mix

-Pride & the Glory

-Atom Bomb -werk! great to hear this again

-Jaydee Plastic Dreams (think an acc. was over this...anyone?)

-Hard mix of "Love's On Time"

-Continuous Cool

-Straight Up

-the UK Luther Vandross track, which yes is truly the Straight Up instrumental with his acc.

-Magic Circle w/ "I just wanna dance acc."

-almost sure Tomba Vira's Drums Come Alive

-mix of S.O.U.L. System's "It's gonna be a lovely day" with this vocal sounding like it was being pitched down at each conclusion of the repetition.

-a track I've heard some other djs playing lately as well with a male vocal stating something like "I don't want you to have just a good time, but I want you to really enjoy it." (or something similar).

-Jr's Fairground mix towards that end

Jay Williams - Sweat

-Jay Williams - Don't Leave Me this Way - Jr's White Party mix which had an intro. part about "we're gonna go back.." and I though at first it was a Black Legend track

-female acc. of Petula Clark's Bands of Gold - very high pitched voice

-from in the Dark We Live, he went into Massiv - Who Am I and tweaked this and some Can U Party beats as well

-Let's Go

-towards the end - Love Break starting out with the "wave sound effect" or heavy bass underneath it which didn't sound that great and then just took that out.

-Started to play his mix of Information Society's Pure Energy into Victor's mix of Running (which was quite surprising) cutting this out mid-point into Dead Or Alive's You

-Pride/A Deeper Love 2000

-The Pressure with full intro. - Kevin performed to this

-some female hip-hop song kind of like lil' kim - someone else might know it

Special Moment:

(Someone is going to have to fill-in the details for what this is from) but a live "Pride" performance in which she thanked everyone (Arena?) and belted out True Colors... Was expecting to hear Jr's True Colors today, but hearing this was beautiful imo.

New mixes -

Systems of Silence

Niki Harris Total Love

Deborah Cox - Absolutely Not

Sabrina Johnston - House Music

-Reap 2001 - kind of had the bass heavy sounding repetition from Wavespeech as then underlying part and then took the key riff part and twisted that later in the mix - I enjoyed it, but of course the original mix still supercedes it - which he went into after the new mix

-new motown addition with the Four Tops "Same Old Song" over Break 4 Love beats underneath if I remember correctly (something had these beats...)

Performances:

Rubio and Kidd one performance strictly on stage, which I didn't watch actually to report on. The other one, was sooooo twisted. Dressed up as a snail groping the speaker and at first, I wasn't sure if it was someone who came dressed as this or what! But then a group of boys carried the "snail" through the center of the dancefloor onto the stage for them to come out of it. I wonder just how many seeing that appear to be floating above the dancefloor questioned if it was real or just seeing things. Truly the most bizarre thing ever performed by them I've seen. This was when he played with In The Dark We Live.

-Dynamix - nothing special but choreographed dancers and lip-synching from Jr's mix into Dynamix's version. Threw out the 2 cd set of the single with mixes & instrumentals and t-shirts

-Sabrina Johnston - What Hope Have I and House Music - great voice and belted it out

-Vernessa Mitchell - damn girl! I wanted more of ya. Only performed Troubles Don't Last Always and dedicated the track to a special someone having a birthday. Was hoping to have "This Joy." She started out off the stage in the dark singing Whitney's "I will always love you" and I wonder if some thought it was Whitney going to perform initially. Such a short quick performance but she belted it out as she so fiercely can!

Kevin got the runway going late in the day for a bit and Jr. ended the day around 4pm with "Last Dance" with Kevin performing on the dancefloor finally having everyone join in together. Was a great way to end the day imo.

Even though with strict security - the club was just soooo "messy." Not with anyone falling out, etc. but just shoving, balance issues, etc. Yeah - seen at Twilo too...nothing new I guess, but just bothered me a bit last night when trying to maneuver around, especially stairways off the dancefloor.

A/C - ugh...yeah, seemed to be not on last night...it was really exhaustively hot, except by the front bar where there was cool air. Didn't venture upstairs.

Crowd was very mixed with the Twilo regulars present. And to all of those (too many to mention) who partied with me today - thanks. And of course, major love and thanks to Junior for giving us "Pride" today . Can't wait for that new residency!!!

Take care - time for major rest!!!,

Michael