Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is it me or does it seem that everyon is tryin to be a DJ?

I think it's really corny how everybody and there grandma thinks that they can spin. To all the REAL DEAL DJ'z who keep the floor movin through the afterhours, PROPS. . .To all the basement DJ'z. . .come out of the basement when ya got the skills, just because you have turntables and some records doens't mean your a DJ. . .> ) MikeMc :blown:

Yeah, I have a friend who bought all the equipment and started spinning just because my friends and I do. But I don't want to be an elitist and tell people that they can't start spinning now because everyone else is doing it; after all, when I started spinning, I was probably perceived by others as another punk who's trying to ride the wave.

I look at turntables as the electric guitar of the 21st century. Everyone used to want to be a rock star, now kids want to be DJs. Nothing wrong with that. The cream will rise to the top, and the people who lack true commitment and passion will eventually burn out.

But, yes, it is interesting to see how this underground craft has become very popularized and mainstream.

peace,

David Christopher

www.headrushmusic.com

Originally posted by MikeMc

I think it's really corny how everybody and there grandma thinks that they can spin. To all the REAL DEAL DJ'z who keep the floor movin through the afterhours, PROPS. . .To all the basement DJ'z. . .come out of the basement when ya got the skills, just because you have turntables and some records doens't mean your a DJ. . .> ) MikeMc :blown:

Is someone that you know trying to be a DJ

Originally posted by dbilas

Yeah, I have a friend who bought all the equipment and started spinning just because my friends and I do. But I don't want to be an elitist and tell people that they can't start spinning now because everyone else is doing it; after all, when I started spinning, I was probably perceived by others as another punk who's trying to ride the wave.

I look at turntables as the electric guitar of the 21st century. Everyone used to want to be a rock star, now kids want to be DJs. Nothing wrong with that. The cream will rise to the top, and the people who lack true commitment and passion will eventually burn out.

But, yes, it is interesting to see how this underground craft has become very popularized and mainstream.

peace,

David Christopher

www.headrushmusic.com

thanks for a reasonable response! i was about to blast the poor guy for asking that kind of question on a message board about clubbing and music - of course dj's are everywhere here!

Yea there isn't anything wrong with it, but my point is that you have to be experienced to spin a club, the art of turntablism doesn't just fall into your lap. And a lot of people think that just because they have the set up and some tracks that oh I wanna spin at a club now, and that's not how it works. I know a lot of people who have been tryin to get into it. But I'd say it's gettin way to trendy.

ok... i have to defend the aspiring dj's here... cuz my boyfriend is one of them.... just because someone might be a 'basement' dj.. doesnt mean that he isnt a dj... how many people do u know that just decided "hey i wanna be a dj" and all of the sudden end up with a job spinnin at a club right away??

thats my first point... my second is that u need somewhere to learn.. somewhere to practice and if all u can do for the time being is spin for ur imaginary crowd in ur bedroom just to get a feel for what its like to use dj equipment EVEN if its just a couple of cd players or turntables and a mixer- theres nothing wrong with someone spending hours on end catching up with the latest music and keepin on top of what people wanna hear and teachin themselves how to mix the right songs together... and theres certainly nothing wrong with someone having such a desire for the music itself that actually playing it is such a rush for them.

so dont hate on the wanna-be dj's... let them have their fun and if theyre determined, then one day when theyre in the right place at the right time with the right amount of skill and knowledge about the business, ull be dancing ur ass off to the set that theyre spinnin at ur favorite clubs! :grin:

Originally posted by MikeMc

Oh no~! PLEASE DON'T BLAST ME. . .

I think it's really upseting how commercial the whole NYC club scene is turning. . .:blown:

*hehe* dont worry! my intentions were never to blast u... i was just statin my opinion which happens to be in favor of the attackee's... :)

very well put linabina - and your boyfriend is lucky that you're so supportive.

MikeMc - can you elaborate? i don't think the scene is getting more commercial - since twilo closed, it seems to be more underground and you have to look harder to find the kind of good music that you want to hear.

I mean commercial as in "its cool to go to clubs an shit" its the "in thing to do". . .I've seen people from my town that I never in my lifetime could picture at a club, places like Exit with 10 million promoters make the scene more commercial. . .I didn't post this topic to cause drama, It was just an observation that I've noticed lately. . .> ) . . .and I'm not hating on the peeps who really are dedicated and wanna rize to the top, just the trendy kids who are doin it to say "oh yea I'm a dj" shit like that. . .

SO WHAT's THE DEAL WITH THE LIMELIGHT MEET UP?

I'm gonna have 100 cp heads punching and kicking me in the head LOL~! . . .I'm sayin 1 AM SKY ROOM BAR. . .

and thank you for not blasting me. You can all bring guns to limelight 2nite if u want cause they dont search. . .LOL. . .

It took over two years of spinning in my bedroom before I felt confident enough to spin out at a club (or a bar, for that matter). I do agree that, despite one's need to get real-world experience, he or she should keep it in the bedroom until his/her skills are adequate before deciding to go pro (hmmm...am I describing DJs or prostitutes? :) ). If you're going to play out as a professional, you should be capable of providing a professional-quality performance--people are paying good money to hear you, and if you go out when you're not ready, you're only hurting your potential of getting booked in the future. Good DJs are artists--a good artist takes the time to perfect his/her craft to the best of his/her ability before presenting it to the world.

I do get annoyed with DJs like Paul Sevigny who can't mix a lick but get crowds based solely on their name. But perhaps that more a reflection on their audiences than on the DJs themselves.

So, for DJs who are still toiling away in the bedroom, keep on practicing! Believe me, I still have to practice my ass off constantly to keep my skills sharp and evolving. And, yes, I do fuck up a mix now and then. If you can get an opening slot at a small, quiet venue, then by all means, go for it--the experience is invaluable (it took me a lot of gigs before I stopped getting incredibly nervous before spinning). But, out of respect for the audience and other DJs, do not spin out at a major venue if you're not ready to provide a fairly solid performance. The DJs who have come before you worked very hard to get to where they are--don't give the profession a bad name by coming out with less than 100%.

Peace,

David Christopher

www.headrushmusic.com

I think its great! I've been spinning for a long time now and am always encouraging new talent to give it a shot. you never know till you try what could happen. Encouraging somone to be a dj might help discovering the next superstar who can start tearing up dance floors. I know some DJ's that won't help someone get off their feet because they feel threatened that they will be better and take their thunder away and I hate that. If everyone were like that we'd be doing an injustice to ourselves by keeping this potential talent away from the scene. Practice away and whe you can mix properly then venture out and get your name around, but until then stay in your basement and practice. :cool:

Originally posted by back2basics-

Is there anything wrong with everybody wanting to be a DJ? It's just a sign of our times. When Guitars outsold decks people didn't complain about everybody wanting to play the guitar. It was just a common goal people shared.

Ugh once again Dave...I was just about to say that DJ's are the guitarists of the 21st Century

The only issue I have with the newjacks is that the ones that can match beats think they're all about the main floor now...havent paid dues and learned how to work a crwod, anyone can match beats (which is down the list of being a good dj) and play a Diggers set that people know all the good choons....so I just say keep chugging along and get as many gigs as possible and learn to deal with all the technical problems that you come across.....many of these ppl never had to mix on one turntable cause the other one breaks in the middle of a set, or lose all your monitors, or lose your headphones, and if you train wreck how to pull out of it with your head up and keep the floor going...those are the big issues....so go out and get as many lounge gigs as you can and learn there, then work your way up....I'm still working my ass off to get up there and it's been years :)

- Pete

:cool:

I wouldn't worry about it. Over the nine years I have been DJing, I have seen LOADS of men and women invest in turntables and give it a go. Some did it out of a love of the music, and others did it to ego-trip and say "Yeah, I'm a DJ". Most of the ego-trips eventually quit after a short time, leaving only the serious DJs left.

djamfooter.gif

Originally posted by djamnfx

I wouldn't worry about it. Over the nine years I have been DJing, I have seen LOADS of men and women invest in turntables and give it a go. Some did it out of a love of the music, and others did it to ego-trip and say "Yeah, I'm a DJ". Most of the ego-trips eventually quit after a short time, leaving only the serious DJs left.

djamfooter.gif

I just do it to get free booze, get drugs easier, and for the chicks :laugh:

- Pete

:cool:

Pete--

You forgot to mention mixing on BELT-DRIVEN turntables--that's got to be the worst.

And I'll let all aspiring DJs in on a little secret: Get yourself a tube of De-Oxit--it will fix contact problems between your needles and the shitty, dirty turntables that most clubs have. (Don't lick your contacts--that's what oxidizes them in the first place!)

--David

I totally agree with MikeMC because I've found it to be a frustrating fact that everyone thinks they can spin now. I've been DJing for 8 years and started out only playing afterparties and house parties. And after a few years, people coming to those parties started noticing my skills and started booking me at clubs. Then I move to NYC and there are so many wannabes that you can't land a gig to save your life. People that have been DJing for less than a year are landing gigs because they're a friend of the bartender's cousin's second wife. Half of the time they're just (trying to) mix the same tracks they saw on some British DJ's setlist that was posted online. And the ones that can actually mix their beats together have no clue as how to build a set and create a journey out of their music that will actually take the crowd somewhere.

And as much as it all pisses me off, I realize that it happens in every scene. Even when death metal first started, bands were doing well and selling records. So then a few years later, everyone thinks they can play guitar and wants to be in a death metal band, and it just lowers the overall quality of the scene for the fans.

So now we just have to wait it out for a few years until all of the bandwagon DJs give up and realize that they're not going to make a shitload of money doing this and make room for the people that actually have some talent.