Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Why does everyone hate Draper?

Originally posted by misk

he sucks....not for nothing but u can say that a dj plays for his crowd as a defense....but look at the crowd at exit!!! a bunch of sweatty little kiddies droppin pills like candy and bouncy around with no clue how to dance!!:bounce: if u like draper then i guess thats ur thing or maybe its all some of u have ever been exposed to?!?! i dunno...but anyone with any experience and exposure will probably agree he is a frigen mess! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DRAPER BLOWS HE SUCKS YOU WANT TO HEAR A GOOD DJ GO TO THE FACTORY ON SATURDAY WAIT YOU GUYS OR STILL 18 SO BETTER YET LISTEN TO 103.5 SUNDAY NIGHT AND STETTOES WILL BRING SOME NICE SOUNDS TO YOUR EARS NOW FOR YOU HARDCORE DRAPER FANS YOU GOT NO TASTE IN MUSIC

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all i have to say, is politics..

draper got lucky to land that main floor b/c of the promoters and b/c baez walked out on the place..

david keeps him b/c he doesnt' have to pay him shit.. i bet he doesnt' get much more than $1000-$1500 a nite.. MAX

that is why they keep him.. he does NOT pack the place out.. it was packed before he was the main resident.. clubkid already named all the technical reasons why he is a poor dj.. and i went two weeks ago to check the place out and what i heard was not music.. it was noize.. bangin it out at 7 am when no one on the dancefloor is even moving.. everyone just standing around..

no matter though.. just look forward to the fall and the big changes going down there, finally..

Originally posted by PFloyd40

all i have to say, is politics..

draper got lucky to land that main floor b/c of the promoters and b/c baez walked out on the place..

david keeps him b/c he doesnt' have to pay him shit.. i bet he doesnt' get much more than $1000-$1500 a nite.. MAX

that is why they keep him.. he does NOT pack the place out.. it was packed before he was the main resident.. clubkid already named all the technical reasons why he is a poor dj.. and i went two weeks ago to check the place out and what i heard was not music.. it was noize.. bangin it out at 7 am when no one on the dancefloor is even moving.. everyone just standing around..

no matter though.. just look forward to the fall and the big changes going down there, finally..

Your right it is PURE politics. Draper Ive met a few times and he is a really cool guy, but not much of a DJ. But face it, a large number of people who go out are only exposed to KTU and z100 & depend on them for the newest music, so he is catering to the crowd, and obviously keeping the masses at Exit happy, just look at all the people defending him. As for his pay, Ive heard form a quite reliable source that as of last fall he was making UNDER a thousand a night. Now if the crowd really 'packed the place out' every week to hear him, he should take his 2500 fans to a place where he would be better compensated for his talents.

Cant agree with you anymore about whats to come for that space though........September the 29th will be a night for the ages. Any news of whats to come of the Friday night party once Jr.'s party starts???? Maybe a quality party? Rotating lineup would be ideal.

and to those who doubt clubkidd..

yes he was a resident at tunnel w/ kurfew and i've heard him on many occasions.. he has mad skill, but doesnt' just play the latest jp comemrcial ktu mix so he can please everyone.. [/quote

Thanks man, wish you said hello when i was there! I have never met anyone from the board...

Originally posted by princesslolita [/i

Hmmmm not.......... Exit should get a beat matcher for him....... Kids say Tony Drapers style is sooo good or whatever maybe its just the drugs or you dont know anything about music...Or part of the teeny booper crowd.......

couldnt have said it better my self.....EXIT keeps all the ugly people outta the nicer clubs!............good job EXIT keepin it ugly!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is almost humorous, an argument over who's the best of the cheese, but clubkid, bragging about what youve done and putting down other people, no matter who they are, is only bad karma on yourself. There's ALWAYS a bigger fish in the pond, and one day you may lose that dream gig, for talking trash about someone you thought was insignificant.

Originally posted by housemusic4evr

This is almost humorous, an argument over who's the best of the cheese, but clubkid, bragging about what youve done and putting down other people, no matter who they are, is only bad karma on yourself. There's ALWAYS a bigger fish in the pond, and one day you may lose that dream gig, for talking trash about someone you thought was insignificant.

Its not that i have done alot, its more like it's unfortunate that dj's like myself and others have are more or less unknown while guys who lack technical skills are playing such large venues, its just goes to show you that its all who you know, and these people are why NYC's "local DJ's" are a joke compared to the DJ's in europe. with the exceptions of guys like Danny, and Junior, and a handfull of others that dont play NYC cheese.

Originally posted by housemusic4evr

putting down other people, no matter who they are, is only bad karma on yourself.

Frankie Bones : Massive Magazine 1995

If Mariah Carrie farted David Morales would be running to the studio to remix it

I just wanted a reason to write that

I'm not trying to say bones is in the dumps & smoking dmt with tommy dugo on b91 again...

from what i hear his store and dj career is doing well

OK KIDS settle down. Yes Jeff we remember you he was a resident at tunnel when Michael Francis was still there. That is one. Two Tony draper does suck and that is why I do not go to EXIT on Fridays. It is a drug arena mess and the music sounds like beating pots and pans.

TECHNICAL CLARIFICATION

BEAT MATCHING: When you can exactly match and layover beats from 2 different songs to that they are in unison and at the same speed and tempo (Identical) SMOOTH TRANSITION and SEAMLESS.

Beat Mixing: When two different songs are mixed together regardless if they are in unison. Usually you can hear a song getting cued become a blatant intro when the last song played is towards its end.

BTW unless Draper got another raise he was getting $600 bucks last winter. And that was a raise from the $300 he was getting last summer.

And I am not only saying that he is a bad DJ for Technical reasons, there is the fact his selection is old and really is cheesey. He doesn't break new music because no one respects the kid to give him any. The promoters and him are really asses by not allowing other DJs to spin there with him because they are retarded. But this is nothing I haven't said for the past year.

NOT CARING

ROXY FRIDAYS Starting AUG. 3rd

Main Floor: BOY GEORGE (ESSENTIAL, UK) & DAVID WAXMAN (TWILO, ULTRA RECORDS)

SKY BOX: Alexi Delano LOUNGE: MARK RONSON (Centro-fly, Spa, LIFE, Moomba) TRUST FRIDAYS: TAKE BACK THE NIGHT!

Originally posted by cotoncandydream

OK KIDS settle down. Yes Jeff we remember you he was a resident at tunnel when Michael Francis was still there. That is one. Two Tony draper does suck and that is why I do not go to EXIT on Fridays. It is a drug arena mess and the music sounds like beating pots and pans.

TECHNICAL CLARIFICATION

BEAT MATCHING: When you can exactly match and layover beats from 2 different songs to that they are in unison and at the same speed and tempo (Identical) SMOOTH TRANSITION and SEAMLESS.

Beat Mixing: When two different songs are mixed together regardless if they are in unison. Usually you can hear a song getting cued become a blatant intro when the last song played is towards its end.

BTW unless Draper got another raise he was getting $600 bucks last winter. And that was a raise from the $300 he was getting last summer.

And I am not only saying that he is a bad DJ for Technical reasons, there is the fact his selection is old and really is cheesey. He doesn't break new music because no one respects the kid to give him any. The promoters and him are really asses by not allowing other DJs to spin there with him because they are retarded. But this is nothing I haven't said for the past year.

NOT CARING

ROXY FRIDAYS Starting AUG. 3rd

Main Floor: BOY GEORGE (ESSENTIAL, UK) & DAVID WAXMAN (TWILO, ULTRA RECORDS)

SKY BOX: Alexi Delano LOUNGE: MARK RONSON (Centro-fly, Spa, LIFE, Moomba) TRUST FRIDAYS: TAKE BACK THE NIGHT!

Nice we see eye to eye on something finaly! I dont see why he needs people to "give him stuff" He should just go down to satellite, and take a stack of imports and start listening i mean there is plenty of new releases you can find that arent 6 months old and is musicaly respectable on such labels as bedrock etc... Of cource they arent pre releases, but hey its a sart. He could at least order some good tracks from some online shops in london and get them before they hit the states.

I might have to check out that Roxy party... sounds good.

Originally posted by tintin

I dont hate him. But I think he is a little over rated. There have been times that I heard him and thought he is really good, but other times I thought he was bad. Unfonately more times bad than good.

i just went to exit this past friday and i had a great time... but i've also gone to exit and felt the music was horrible and was just not feelin it at all...

it's been said once, and i'll say it again...

if you don't like draper, or exit, then don't go... enough of the draper/exit drama...

i wouldnt necessarily say he was trashing draper or bragging either... he was just responding to aphelions comment about bedroom dj's, which, btw, i despise...

just because a dj isn't spinning on the main floor of exit, doesn't mean they can't be considered a dj... and it also doesn't mean they're not good...

yeah we had this convo last night and then i read this and you're trashing yet another dj cause he's supposedly a "bedroom dj"

yeah of course there are peple who call themselves dj's that really are "bedroom dj's", but twice you've used it and have been wrong...

it's just such a bad term to use against someone who is so not...

just get's me seriously pissed off, but i've gotten it all out of my system and it's all gravy...

:D

love to all... :heart:

Im not gonna sit here and argue on a freckin board about what dj is better. Everyone has their own opinions, so deal with it. Why does everything have to be so technical, if people like the way the music sounds good for them. More than half of the people in clubs are too f*cked up to even know what song and Dj is playing.

Clubkid you probably never met anyone from the board b/c your so uptight and on everyones case about their opinions.. Does it really matter to you what stlye of music someone else likes when you dont?? Get over it. People go to exit b/c they like draper, or SF sats b/c they like JP or sats tunnel b/c they li ke nero... everyone is different. If we were all the same the world would be so boring.

Originally posted by djmoonshine

i just went to exit this past friday and i had a great time... but i've also gone to exit and felt the music was horrible and was just not feelin it at all...

I really think that having a good time at any club without a very good DJ (which is a rarity these days since the closure of Twilo) depends on the people you go with.

i wouldnt necessarily say he was trashing draper or bragging either... he was just responding to aphelions comment about bedroom dj's, which, btw, i despise...

Errr not quite... I replied to his post bashing Draper, not the other way around. He then replied, but didn't bash Draper. I hate wasting my time to clarify things like this, so don't use my name in my post if you're not gonna read what you write.

yeah of course there are peple who call themselves dj's that really are "bedroom dj's", but twice you've used it and have been wrong...

What are you, the referee?

it's just such a bad term to use against someone who is so not...

just get's me seriously pissed off, but i've gotten it all out of my system and it's all gravy...

It's not such a bad term. Check out Recess Bar's Wednesday party: they call it Bedroom DJ night, and some personal faves of mine spin there, like p00h.

It's where I got it from. You gotta realize something: the term means one thing for one person and another for someone else. Get over it..........:mad:

OK THIS IS THE BOTTOM LINE PPL EVERYONE SAYS FACTORY IS GREAT SO I DECIDED TO GO FRIDAY.ITS CHANGED FROM THE LAST TIME I WAS THERE.THE CROWD WAS SO YOUNG THERE EVERYONE WAS ACTING LIKE THEY WERE BETTER THAN EVERYONE WHICH I DON'T LIKE SOMEONE BUMPED INTO ME AND DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING WTF.IF SOMEONE BUMPED INTO ME AT EXIT THEY WOULD START TALKING TO ME LIKE THEY WERE MY BEST FRIEND.ANYWAY I FELT THE MUSIC AT FACTORY WAS CHESSY TOO VOCALLY I FELT LIKE I WAS AT A LI CLUB SO THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE PPL ONCE YOUR USE TO EXIT ITS HARD TO BE ANYWHERE ELSE JUST LIKE IF YOUR USE TO SF AND LIMELIGHT U WILL HATE EXIT. THE BEATS ARE SO HARD AND NOT TOO MANY VOCALS.NOW IM NOT GONNA BASH FACTORY LIKE ALL U OPINATED ASSHOLES BASH EXIT I HATED IT BUT I HAVE ENOUGH RESPECT FOR OJEDA TO NOT BASH HIM CAUSE I THOUGHT THE MUSIC WAS CHESSY COME ON HE PLAY ABSOULUTLY NOT AT FACTORY LOL FELT LIKE I WAS AT TEEN NIGHT.BUT THE ENERGY DRAPER BRINGS I HAVE ONLY COMPARED TO JP AS FOR HIS MUSIC BEING OLD WTF U TALKING ABOUT 90% OF HIS SONG U PPL SPEND ALLDAY TRY TO FIND AND IDENTIFY HOW MANY POSTS R ON HERE AND SICK TRACKS FOR EXIT IDS I LOST COUNT.THIS WHOLE WEEK U PPL HAVE COMPLAINED ABOUT DRAPER AND EXIT WELL I WENT TO YOUR CLUBS AND I CAN SAY THE SAMETHING BUT I WON'T.HONESTLY I LEFT FACTORY AT 2:40 TO GO TO EXIT AND IT WAS WELL WORTH IT DRAPER TORE AFTERHOURS DOWN AND U PPL U NEED TO EXCEPT THAT.I LOVE OJEDA AT CPI BUT AT FACTORY WIT ALL THOSE LITTLE KIDS WHO KNEW NUTTIN ABOUT MUSIC IT DIDN'T SEEM RIGHT AND EVERYONE I CAME WIT WHO R USE TO EXIT HATED FACTORY ALSO.SO ITS ALL ABOUT WHAT YOUR USE TOO.SO PPL DON'T LIKE DRAPER AND HATE EXIT FINE DON'T GO BUT TRUTHFULLY IM SICK OF HAVING THIS CONVO WIT U PPL SO THIS HOW A DJ IS JUDGE IF U DON'T KNOW ITS NOT BY BEAT MIXING ITS ABOUT HOW WELL U CONTROL THAT CROWD ANYONE CAN BEAT MIX BUT KEEP THE CROWD IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT THE ENERGY OF THE PPL AND MUSIC NOT THE TECHNICAL SKILLS.THATS WHY DRAPER IN MY EYES IS IN EXIT THE CROWD LOVES HIM AND LOVE WHAT HE PLAYS AND IF YOUR NOT THERE EVERYWEEK U WILL NEVA UNDERSTAND THAT SO VISITING THERE ONCE A MONTH DON'T MAKE U AN EXPERT ON DRAPER OR WHAT HE PLAYS SO IF DON'T KNOW NOW U DO...... :flame: :flame: :flame::biggun:

Originally posted by finesse112

SO THIS HOW A DJ IS JUDGE IF U DON'T KNOW ITS NOT BY BEAT MIXING ITS ABOUT HOW WELL U CONTROL THAT CROWD ANYONE CAN BEAT MIX BUT KEEP THE CROWD IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT THE ENERGY OF THE PPL AND MUSIC NOT THE TECHNICAL SKILLS.

Aparently not, everyone can match beats, he cant.

Sory the only way to truely judge a DJ's talent is through his mixing, any DJ can play the same tracks but its the technical skills that make or break a DJ in the end. Thats why some play all over the world and some never leave NYC. To put things in perspective for non DJ's Lets say you like a band. Their album is great, but when you see them live they suck, the guitarist is off key, or the drummer is off time, or whatever. Then what would you think of them? They are nothing but a good studio band. Well tracks are just track. Give any DJ Drapers tracks and i guess you will like them too, but let another DJ listen and its totaly diferent. If im playing and not everyone is into it, but a fellow DJ comes up to me after my set and tells me it kicked ass that is more important to me than anything because i know someone with an ear liked it. I have had nights where i hated my set and someone came up and told me it kicked ass, But inside i know it wasnt my best and im sure a fellow DJ would have noticed i was off too.

Im not saying that only fellow DJ's know what they are listening to becase i know there are tons of people who know what skills are when they hear them, but if you describe a good set as "throwing down hard ass beats" then chances are you fall into the catagory of clueless.

Originally posted by bebby6919

first off its called beat mixing.. which is when you put 2 songs together and they sound like one.

its essential b/c if you cant beat mix you cant mix.. so for that matter most DJs cant beat mix. (Drpaer is a tight mixer)

songs change on the down beat 16x4

is that good enough for you clubkid77?!?!?!

~*~Debby

Songs change on the down beat 16x4?!?!? Thats why your supposed to mix on the 32 beat!!!! Wrong answer, better luck next time! Nothing against Draper I just hate when people think they know what they're talking about when they really don't.

and to those who doubt clubkidd..

yes he was a resident at tunnel w/ kurfew and i've heard him on many occasions.. he has mad skill, but doesnt' just play the latest jp comemrcial ktu mix so he can please everyone..

ill vouch for that ive heard him many times as well at tunnel.....

Originally posted by aphelion

LOL I love these bedroom DJ's..... :rolleyes:

It's called playing for a crowd, something you haven't done and with that attitude likely never will. It's called building energy and creating a vibe (*gasp*), and it's done through track selection for the most part. Greatness is achieved on many levels, and Draper's success serves witness to it!

Uhhh yeah ok there, Draper has no idea what vibe is, he probably couldn't even spell it...walking into a club at 11:30 hearing 150 BPM noise is not "buiding energy and creating vibe". He can't mix for shit, its one thing if your beatmatching is slightly off, but he's just horrible. It doesn't take a bedroom DJ to tell when a DJ is wack. That club is packed based on the fact that its a great place for little teeny boppers to do drugs. He his definetely "playing to his crowd" by playing that noise because his crowd doesn't really know better. Then again, Im not trying to hate on him, if his night continues to be successful, then more props to him.

aphelion, dont even bother.. wasting you time replying to clubkid77. Hes just too uptight to even understand what we are saying. Draper is a good DJ. Every DJ has their off night, and thats allowed.. so whatever. :grin:

Originally posted by bebby6919

aphelion, dont even bother.. wasting you time replying to clubkid77. Hes just too uptight to even understand what we are saying. Draper is a good DJ. Every DJ has their off night, and thats allowed.. so whatever. :grin:

give me a holla when he has an on night

I doubt that clubkid is being "Uptight." It has very little to do with uptightness and more to do with stating the obvious. Tony Draper has been around for a while, even before Exit when he was spinning at Metropolis and Hempstead. He's not a skilled dj that can play a beautiful continous circuit mix with style and good beat matching. What he does is he drops records, nothing more. I was actually surprised when I heard he was spinning at Exit some time ago; he literally went from small venues to spinning at one of the biggest clubs in New York City, overnight. He selects hard banging tracks and plays them one after the other without any real concern for style. Anyone can do that, and rather than view this as some insult to Draper, just view it as a statement of the obvious.

When you have individuals who know house music, and know good djing, it is hard for them to sit back idly while other individuals write about how Draper has "off nights" etc. Off nights are for dj's who spend hours in their studios putting music together, creating music. He hasn't established a definitive style to have an "off night." There is nothing to his style. There is no vibe that can be felt because there is no complexity to the way he spins, and one can easily hear that.

There is nothing wrong with Dropping records one after the other; I am sure Draper is aware that he does that. He doesn't mix.

He plays music for a mainfloor that likes hard beats; whether the type of music and the way the music is played is tasteless is up to the listener.

Draper is no stranger to house music, and if he doesn't know how to mix and match beats effectively at this point, then that doesnt say much for his skill. It's safe to say that the majority of the crowd that goes to Exit isn't there for the appreciation and quality of the music, they are there to enjoy a humungous nightclub and get fucked up. I don't really think that type of venue needs any style to survive; it seems to have a continous turnout every friday night and it's doing well. But in regards to Draper's skill, the mainfloor at Exit is good for foot pounding and hand clapping. That's about it.

Originally posted by rudeboyyouth

I doubt that clubkid is being "Uptight." It has very little to do with uptightness and more to do with stating the obvious. Tony Draper has been around for a while, even before Exit when he was spinning at Metropolis and Hempstead. He's not a skilled dj that can play a beautiful continous circuit mix with style and good beat matching. What he does is he drops records, nothing more. I was actually surprised when I heard he was spinning at Exit some time ago; he literally went from small venues to spinning at one of the biggest clubs in New York City, overnight. He selects hard banging tracks and plays them one after the other without any real concern for style. Anyone can do that, and rather than view this as some insult to Draper, just view it as a statement of the obvious.

When you have individuals who know house music, and know good djing, it is hard for them to sit back idly while other individuals write about how Draper has "off nights" etc. Off nights are for dj's who spend hours in their studios putting music together, creating music. He hasn't established a definitive style to have an "off night." There is nothing to his style. There is no vibe that can be felt because there is no complexity to the way he spins, and one can easily hear that.

There is nothing wrong with Dropping records one after the other; I am sure Draper is aware that he does that. He doesn't mix.

He plays music for a mainfloor that likes hard beats; whether the type of music and the way the music is played is tasteless is up to the listener.

Draper is no stranger to house music, and if he doesn't know how to mix and match beats effectively at this point, then that doesnt say much for his skill. It's safe to say that the majority of the crowd that goes to Exit isn't there for the appreciation and quality of the music, they are there to enjoy a humungous nightclub and get fucked up. I don't really think that type of venue needs any style to survive; it seems to have a continous turnout every friday night and it's doing well. But in regards to Draper's skill, the mainfloor at Exit is good for foot pounding and hand clapping. That's about it.

you hit the nail on the head.......it doesnt get better then that