this is soo not about sex

atomicapples

brand choosen  

14 members have voted

1. 1. brand choosen

• marlboro
    • newports
    • parlaments

People say that I have a unique opinion on this subject, and most people disagree with me. I think that when you say you're addicted to something and you want to quit but you can't, the only reason is because you really don't want to quit. I firmly believe that if you wanted to quit, you would, period. Take losing weight as another example (although this isn't an addiction). Millions of people want to lose weight, but never do, and the only reason is themselves. They don't really want it bad enough, so they continue with the poor diet and lack of exercise. Another example is my girlfriend and smoking pot. Regardless of what anyone ever tells me, pot is addicting. People have to remember that anything can be addicting, whether it's smoking cigarettes, smoking pot, drinking, washing your hands, anything. I have asked my girl several times why she smokes, why she doesn't quit, if she thinks she's addicted, and if she thinks she can stop. She tells me that she doesn't think she's addicted, that she can stop whenever she wants, but that she doesn't want to. That just doesn't make sense to me. If a person doesn't want to quit something that obviously has a negative effect on them, it's like they need or want it in their life, and that is an addiction to me. The fact that she doesn't want to quit is an addiction to me.

To me, it's all about REALLY wanting to quit. My mother quit smoking, but unfortunately it wasn't until she had a heart attack that she learned. But, she learned, made the decision that she really wanted to quit, and dropped it cold turkey. This happened only because she wanted it to. I know people who still smoke after a few heart attacks or strokes.

Hope this makes sense.

if you're really addicted to nicotine, try the patch and nicorette gum together. dual therapy like that hasn't really been advocated by doctors in the u.s. but docs in europe advocate it. my brother just quit a 30-year habit doing the dual therapy thing. you have to make a firm commitment to quit. if you're one of those types that smokes even more when you drink or party, then stop drinking and partying for a while. add exercise to your weekly routine which will make you feel more healthy overall and you might desire cigarettes less. although for me i've been known to stop halfway through a workout for a cigarette.

yeah, let me know if you have any luck with my advice because it hasn't worked for me.

nice thoughts aboyfrombkln, good mental stand point...but on the biological side addiction has to do with your body. take food for an example. you need it to survive. if you don't your body craves it and need its nourishment inside each and every cell. when you smoke regularly and then take it away, it abrupts your bodys chemical stability. your cells are used to having it, so they would like more of it, causing the urge to smoke another. much more to be said but lack of time. so to quit you need to mentally prepare yourself for what is going to physically happen. if this is done then there should be no problem stopping.

boyfrombrooklyn....

you got a awesome standpoint, i agree with bravo, it does make sense, and bravo is also right... the only reason i want to quit is because, it feel very disgusted about smoke, the way it smells on your clothes hand, hair, etc.. it makes your teeth bad, it not worth it, and on top of that, people bum stoges frmo you... causing you to spend more money on it, and its already costly. not that 5 bucks cost alot, but that shit adds up... you know 5 bucks a day, 30 days... 150 a month... 1800 a year. there is mad shit i would rather use 1800 on... its like when you dont have a stoge, i feel very week, my stomach hurts, i feel like i have to take a shit, but dont have to take one.

people have told me that cold turkey technique works... 72 hours of no smoking.. and you will be straight. NOT TRUE... i went out of the country and i didnt smoke for like 14 days due to grand parents and people like that... didnt want to seem like a bad or unhealthy kid. but once i got back.. BAM back on the sticks. personally... i think its when i hang out i need one. or like when your bored.. you like.. i usually do somthing... or when you see someone light one up, you will do the same...but maybe im just speaking alot of mumbo jumbo... but i dunno...

Originally posted by jbravo

nice thoughts aboyfrombkln, good mental stand point...but on the biological side addiction has to do with your body. take food for an example. you need it to survive. if you don't your body craves it and need its nourishment inside each and every cell. when you smoke regularly and then take it away, it abrupts your bodys chemical stability. your cells are used to having it, so they would like more of it, causing the urge to smoke another. much more to be said but lack of time. so to quit you need to mentally prepare yourself for what is going to physically happen. if this is done then there should be no problem stopping.

Exactly! An addiction is both physical and psychological. You must decide that you really want to quit before you can actually try and do so.

You really have to want to quit in order to break the habit. I quit smoking for two years and then went through some trying times and took up the habit again. When I quit, it wasn't the physical withdrawal but rather the psychological withdrawal that caused the most pain. It didn't help that all my friends at the time were smokers as well, but I really wanted to quit so I didn't let myself cave in. The key is to get active and workout - I actually lost weight after quitting.

As it stands now, I smoke and I'm fine with it. When I'm ready to quit, I'll quit. The bottom line is that although there is physical withdrawal, in my experience it's the psychological withdrawal that is the toughest to overcome- it's not an easy thing to do, but with some support, it can be done.

You guys gotta remember that if you fail the first time, you shouldn't stop trying. You may just be taking the wrong approach (i.e. weight loss and the Slim Fast diet, big mistake a lot of people make)

Tell Yourself: Do what you've always done, get what you've always gotten!

Then Ask Yourself: Am I happy with what I got?