Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Opinions on Oakenfold? Is he overrated?

Oakenfold is great and all but his music is getting old to me. More of the same old stuff cd after cd. It's just something I've noticed. Does anyone else agree? Don't get me wrong, I love to see him spin but he's starting to bore me. For example, if DJ Tiesto and Oakenfold were spinning on the same night, I'd much rather see Tiesto! All his stuff is great, but just some of Oakenfold's stuff is worth listening to over and over. What do you guys think? Is Oakenfold overrated?

I think he is the most overrated DJ out there.........to give him credit, he was instrumental in bringing trance music to the a higher level during the 90's but since then he has not innovated at all......same shit, no passion for it, just wants money and fame........he's more washed up than a dead jellyfish :)

having never heard him spin, i couldn't rate him on his live abilites. i too would probably go see another highly regarded DJ (Howell's, Fontaine, Rampling) i haven't seen, over him at this point, simply because of all the bad things i have read about him, which is probably unfair.

i would also agree that his recent CD's are bland and not very provocative, however his older stuff such as the GU from Oslo or his Abbey Years are great.

Oakenfold was amazing.

His residancy at Cream in the UK was fantastic. But i saw him at area one in Chi-town and he was terrible, totally predictable.

To be a great DJ you have to spend all your time at it. Listening to lot's of new tracks every day. He doesn't have the time, he is marketing himself out here (to great effect) and produceing/remixing. As soon as a DJ starts spending more time in the studio than on listening to new tracks his set's are going to suffer.

PvD is another example ;)

i really loved the tranceport series, and the perfrecto presents albums (especially another world), but the swordfish soundtrack was a huge letdown, as was his remixes of madonna (what it feels like) and the cure

i dont like him as much as i used to

i still want to see him live though

I'm glad everyone seems to agree with me that Oakenfold is boring and highly overrated! I'll be at Limelight the night before Oakenfold to see DJ Scot (Aug 17) . I'd rather spend my money that night and have new beats than spend my money on Oakenfold and listen to the same old shit.

I've never heard him spin before but, only by listining to his muzix all I can say is that "HE'S A CHEZZE BALL" he SUXS ASS...... fucking fashion victim wanna be cool ..... going to burning man c'om he's all about FALLOWING aaaaaawwwwww I need to stop ... I hope he reads CP !!!!! dammm punc

AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED OAKENFOLD IS WAY OVERRATED & DOESNT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT HIS FANS. MONDAY SHOW @ JONES BEACH HE FORGOT HIS VINYL AT THE HOTEL ROOM (YEA RIGHT), HAD LIQUID TODD FILL IN FOR HIM & THEN NEVER SHOWED UP. HE WASN'T EVEN A MAN ENOUGH TO EXPLAIN IT TO HIS FANS OVER THE MIC.

WHAT A SCUM BAG!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK GOD FOR CARL COX, OTHERWISE I WOULD HAVE WASTED $70.

I've seen him five times and each time I see him I feel him less and less..

HOWEVER...

Anotherworld is still one of my favorite Trance Cds EVER!

He mixes in Dead Can Dance, This Mortal Coil and Blade runner into some great tracks on that set..

And his older GOA shit was amazing back in the day!

Oakie's just hit the MTV stance and as we all know MTV hasn't been cool since they took AMP off the air (which by the way Oakie was never on ..)

IRONIC!