Clubplanet Nightlife Community

So who all went out to PS1 this Sat? (Mugz review)WHY WERENT U ON THE DANCE FLOOR?

Damn..shit was awsome!

So sorry for all of you that got there late and didn't get a chance to be by the stage!

LavenderMenace and I crawled out from the previouse night at the Roxy and got there pretty early (2:00pm..)

It's really best to arrive bevfore the crowds..just chill by the hamocks and smoke machines!

I got to chill with Karsh Kale, Kid Koala, The Nortec crew and Navdeep as everyone set the day up..

After a few beers we decided to hit the stage and check out the music..

*To my surprise what I thought was a DJ was actually beautifull Christina Wheeler

on a Roland Keyboard triggering loops and SINGING with a voice effect filter..She even had a Theramin up on stage which she triggered with her head at the finally. What a great display of LIVE dance music..Very tribal, housy at times and minimal techno loops over haunting vocals ("My Bloody Valentines" meets "Love Spirall downwards" 4ADesque Vocals over Tribal housy beats if you can imagine such a thing..)

**Karsh Kale took the stage next with his Tabla beat furry and electro breakbeat Indian fussion sounds!

Though very different, and less "organic" than his full Band perfomance at the Frying Pan, It still captivated the audience. The use of electronic loops and Karshe's powerfull Tabla skills gave PS1 a taste into the world of the ASIAN INDIAN UNDERGROUND movement that's blossoming in NY (Finally!) Karshe's beautifull preagnant wife danced through the entire set along with Navdeep along with the audience. (One of my favorite things about the PS1 dance floor is watching Children dance with Ravers, Artists and older people open to the sounds. Shoes off and sand in your shorts!)

***By the time Kid Koala took the stage I had kicked off my sandles and had made a hole in the sand from dancing around so much. I was in front of the stage and had a perfect view of these artists. A big difference from "watching" a DJ set..these guys all PERFORMED and the effect of watching them only enhances the experience. Kid Koala is a perfect example of the DJ/Performer..Getting up on stage with three turntables the Scratching childlike Ninja master stepped up to the microphone:

"Are you guys all here to dance?" he asked the dance floor (cheers and aplauses followed)

"Well too bad!" and with that he wripped up one of the most amazing scratching and beat juggling sets that I'd ever seen up close like that. (If you didn't get a chance to be up front then you missed the technical abilities and wizardry that goes into a Koala set) Damn guy hit us with a Cold cut track in which he PLAYS the grooves on the record by picking the needle up and placing it back to the first note of three or four different sounds. (Therefore making an ENTIRE SONG WITH ONLY THE FIRST SOUNDS IN THE RECORD GROOVES OF FOUR SONGS.)

He played his Ninja tune masterpiece "Drunk Trumpet" playing the record player LIKE A TRUMPET and scratching faster than a lightening bolt! He closed his collage "cut em up odessy" with a scratched up version of Jessica Rabbit to a packed floor . I even heard many CLUB HEADS turning around and remarking "Holly shit..I never knew you could do that with turntables!"

I guess when you are use to four on four mixes and hidden DJs in a booth a LIVE perfomance can be quite a shock and a novelty.

ELECTRONICA and turnatbilism is a wide world full of diversity and expression..Glad to see that UTOPIAN landscapes like PS1 are introducing new concepts to a scene that is strating to feel as stuffy and rediculouse as the clubs in the "Night at the Roxy" skits in SNL.

"What is loooove...baby don't hurt me nooo more..." (bobs head)

We left before the Tables on the Hudson crew and ate at the Greesy spoon dinner by the #7 train.

Sorry if I missed you..next time GET THERE EARLY and get the Dance floor experience!

UP FRONT BY THE STAGE...I promise you..there are no velvet ropes!

HELL YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO WEAR SHOES!

If PS1 could only go all year long..I would be in Heaven!

See ya next Saturday!~

Originally posted by mugwump

Where is everyone!?

(Mugz slouches back and crosses arms pouting)

~sigh~

:(

I went, I went....I am in love with this place. What a beautiful environment, group of people, all around vibe. I can't believe I haven't ever made it there before. On top of that I had the pleasure of meeting u, mugz, lavendarmenace and other cp ppl. I don't just wish this party went all year, I wish I could live there- sleep on the hammock, wake up, shower in the sprinklers, work in the gallery, swim after work and then dance the night away, eating haggendaz ice cream bars for dinner! Heaven is exactly right. :D

Originally posted by thehacker

i was there to mang. saisha can vouch for me...

shoulda stayed for turntables on the hudson.

they were AWESOME.

i am SO going to see them on 9/1 @ frying pan.

Shit Brotha'

Did I miss you again?

Saygray..nice to meet you too.

Next time I hope we get to chill longer!

*Everyone else I DID see later on in the day:

Barvybe,Sugabooga etc..

great to see you again..!

It's amazing what you can create out of a concrete lot in Queens. The contrast of the wartime photos upstairs and the kiddie pools outside was something else. Can't think of a better way to close out a summer afternoon than to dance in a pseudo-sandbox to some chill, live tribal beats with nothing but smiling faces around you and a $3 Brooklyn Pilsner in hand.

rob

I was, unfortunately, looking for the strange short Italian man with the grey shirt and the green shorts....

In the meantime, I totally miss everybody hanging out in the middle of the hammocks...

sigh.....totally confused. But at least the music kicked ass...