Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Just came from seeing Apocalypse Now Redux...

and wow...it's more intense seeing it in the theatre...you get entranced with every scene in the film...more intense than Schindler's List...

some of the scenes that were added shouldnt have been in the original cut to begin with ... but it definitely added depth to Martin Sheen's character...and Brando's as well....

anyway has anyone else seen it?? thoughts? opinions? gripes?

Originally posted by avalondon3

D V D ..............

when that shit comes out on dvd, I will be the first one to scoop it up............

bro you totally dont konw...SEE IN THE THEATRE!!

I saw it on the IMAX screen in Lincoln Square, and everything is so in your face and larger than life...this movie is meant to see with a huge screen...

AN is one of the greatest films ever made. I haven't seen redux, but my film professor when i went to rutgers has a 70mm print (of the original) which he lets us screen. you MUST see this film on a big screen - just imagine the richness of the color (ie the jungle being destroyed by napalm, or the do-long bridge scene) and the presence of the sound.

rob

Originally posted by dialectics

AN is one of the greatest films ever made. I haven't seen redux, but my film professor when i went to rutgers has a 70mm print (of the original) which he lets us screen. you MUST see this film on a big screen - just imagine the richness of the color (ie the jungle being destroyed by napalm, or the do-long bridge scene) and the presence of the sound.

rob

bro...you dont know how right you are...

funny..

I was just having a conversation about Apocalypse with a friend..

I threw on Hearts of Darkness (The doc made by Coppola's wife) and

I'm really siked to go see Redux now..

Is it still playing at the Imax?

THAT would be Amazing!

Though i've heard that some of the added scenes slow the movie down..

I can't imagine how..

Good thread man!~

Originally posted by mugwump

funny..

I was just having a conversation about Apocalypse with a friend..

I threw on Hearts of Darkness (The doc made by Coppola's wife) and

I'm really siked to go see Redux now..

Is it still playing at the Imax?

THAT would be Amazing!

Though i've heard that some of the added scenes slow the movie down..

I can't imagine how..

Good thread man!~

Yes it's still playing at the IMAX. The one I went to was at Lincoln Square. The catch is this: even though the theater gives out the times when its being played, they don't tell you when it's playing on the IMAX, I had to find out when I was there. They are playing the movie on the IMAX screen at 6:30 and 10pm...the 8:20 showing will be played on a regular screen.

Some of the added scenes, in my opinion, took away from the original, and I can see why Coppola took them out. One of the scenes wasn't neccesary at all, and you'll know which one I mean when you see it.

But make the $10 investment and go see REDUX. It's all about REDUX.

I never really liked Apocalypse Now when I first saw it, or any of the viewings after that. Martin Sheen wasn't convincing, and Brando was a dissapointment. However, I was reading in the paper that there are scenes added, some of which have more of Brando. I would go see it for that alone. Brando was good up to that point, but now he sucks serious nut. Go see "The Score" and one can truly see how badly he does suck, and how obese he's gotten. That movie was a serious dissapointment as well. But then again, the roles weren't too demanding. Ed Norton was decent as the supposed retard janitor, but still unconvincing. It looked like he was making fun of retards.

I saw the score - it wasn't a "Great-with-a-capital-G" film, but it was good as what it was - a caper flick. deniro played that type of role so many times it looked so effortless for him - and it was good to see brando in a purely pathetic situation as "the ghost of thief's future". but the draw was really the tension - they told you exactly what was going to happen and as things were happening you were still on the edge of your seat. not something i'll remember after next week, but it was fun while i was watching it.

proof once again that popcorn films can still be good :P

rob