Clubplanet Nightlife Community

why is south beach all 21+

clubbedtodeath

Well, except on rare occasions, Space is 21+.

FTL isn't worth the effort really...

As for the reasoning of a 21+ club environment...

About 2 years ago, clubs had the option of setting their age limits. Clubs like crobar, Bar Room (remember, this is 1999), Liquid, and Level were all 21+ as a matter of policy, wanting to attract a more sophisitcated audience. The 600 Block of Washington was famous for it's dive clubs (Mission, Club Deep, Emerald City, god I'm getting sick typing it!), and they were all 18+ and very lenient with the carding, in order to get asses in the door, and $$ to compete with the biggies down the street.

More often than not, drunk underage kids were prowling the beach after leaving the 600 block. Fighting, irritating other clubgoers, it was a mess. Unfortunately, it was only a few kids responsible for this, but the City overreacted and enacted a law forcing all venues to be 21+, even the alcohol-free Mix Afterhours!

Flash forward a bit, all clubs are 21+. There's still an underage thug element, but they're largely relegated to the streets and usually ushered off by the cops.

What happened here was a major case of the sins of the few being punished upon the many. Though from late 1999 to early 2000, yours truly made some bank manufacturing fake IDs, until a friendly official told me to stop. :eek:

Sure, all the 18+ places were dives, and really not worth going to, but even kids need a place to play, ya know?

As a matter of policy now, I always warn people that Miami may as well have a big sign that says 21+ when you drive down 95.

Originally posted by pod

Sure, all the 18+ places were dives, and really not worth going to, but even kids need a place to play, ya know?

I agree - those places really attracted a horrible element though. I don't blame the city of Miami Beach for not wanting that kind of crowd there.