Clubplanet Nightlife Community

E-tardism, an explanation . .

I'm reposting this from another thread I wrote because I want to get a larger response:

I'm going to make a statement, and then catch some flak:

You cannot develop a resistance to the E itself.

Nope . . . cannot . . at all. .

Explanation:

E is one of the most wonderful drugs ever thought up by a mulitnational drug company. . You wanna know why? Because it isn't the E that makes you roll, it's YOU that makes you roll. The E is just a catalyst that causes your body to do something different with itself:

Now for the science:

There are four different components to the nerves in your head ( 4 that matter in this case). They are:

1. the emitter (the axon, think of it as a storage warehouse full of keys)

2. the receptor (the dendrite, think of it as a gigantic wall of keyholes)

3. the synapse (the space between the axon and the dendrite)

4. the neurotransmitter (the substance that is emitted by the axon and binds to the dendrite. . the keys)

During normal brain function the Axon will emit different neurotransmitters (such as Dopamine and Serotonin) into the synapse. These neurotransmitters will then find the proper "keyhole" on the Dendrite and latch on, which will, in turn cause you to feel or perform differently.

Serotonin is the key that makes you roll. It IS happiness in liquid form. The more you have in your synapses, the happier you feel. Perscriptions like Prozac and Zoloft work because they cause your brain to hold a higher quantity of Serotonin in your synapses by preventing the Axon from "calling" them back into storage (hence the title of "Serotonin Re-uptake inhibitor"). E is, in effect, like cramming the entire loading phase of Prozac or Zoloft (usually a couple months) into several hours. Instead of slowly inching up your level of used Serotonin, it dumps the ENTIRE storehouse into the synapse at once.

Why is this beautiful?

Because if you understand it, you can use E without becoming a jaded party kid like me (and almost all of Florida and most of NY)

To Review a little : More Serotonin in the synapse = More happiness feeling . .

Continuing right along . . . You may ask youself now: If the axon can pull back the Serotonin into storage, and I've been rolling regularly for months, why do I have to eat a tenpack to feel good?

Here's the answer:

Your body, a wonderful and AMAZINGLY complex feat of natural engineering, has various defense mechanisms built in that will both adapt to and combat excessive changes in its chemistry.

Your body's main goal is to always get back to the baseline, so when an excessive amount of Serotonin is introduced into play it goes into defense mode after a certain threshold has been reached.

Here's the sequence:

1. You eat a pill

2. It circulates in the bloodstream until it gets to the brain

3. The Axon dumps the store house of Serotonin into play

4. Serotonin binds to every available keyhole on the Dendrite

5. When saturation is achieved , You Blow Up (peaking for the NY crowd)

6. Oversaturation of the receptors occurs.

7. The body senses this and begins disaster recovery (LOL)

Disaster Recovery in the Brain:

Your brain has it's own version of FEMA (the Federal Emergency Management Agency for those who haven't watched the news in the last decade) that takes the form of Oxidants.

Oxidants can be thought of as little hammers that float around in the synapse which are called into play when things get out of hand. When you're coming down the dendrite wall is figuratively screaming for relief, so it starts jettisoning the serotonin that's attached to it. The amount of unbound serotonin in the synapse starts to go up as it tries to get back into the Axon (storage) so the brain calls in the Oxidants.

The Oxidants come in and start smashing the serotonin that doesn't get back into storage fast enough. This, in turn, causes a lower amount of serotonin to be stored than you began with at the start of the roll.

To put it simply : The first time you roll, your brain's gas tank of serotonin is on Full at the onset. By the end of the night (or day . . LOL) your brain is only at 3/4 of a tank.

This is why it's normal to feel kinda shakey and depressed for a while after rolling. This effect will magnify if you don't let your brain get it's tank back up to "FULL" before rolling again. The next time it will be 1/2 full after rolling, then 1/4 . .and so on and so forth.

One of the previous posters on this thread mentioned that they didn't have ill effects with only one or two spaced apart usages a month. This is because, at once or twice a month, the brain has enough time to manufacture more Serotonin to fill it's tank.

Some other Overusage things to keep in mind:

If you frequently use E, your Dendrites (again, the receptor) will start physically closing up the keyholes where the Serotonin can bind to (again, the body is ALWAYS trying to get back to baseline, working status). This can cause long term depression because even the normal amount of serotonin cannot be used anymore (there's nowhere for it to bind). Your body has, in fact adapted to your drug using ways and has closed the shop till you lay off.

Another effect of E-tardism is that your brain will begin to believe that it's baseline is 1/4th of a tank instead of a Full Tank (again, combat or adapt), so it won't manufacture Sertonin in adequate quantity which also leads to depression.

I hope all of you find this post kind of helpful, I only know all this because I got sick of E myself . .but never really knew why. I did some homework and then it all started to make sense. You're causing your body to exaggerate a normally routine operation. Do this to frequently and it will find a way to prevent you from doing it in the first place . . I've rolled once since I've been up here in NY (back in may) and I can tell you it felt like the first time because the last time i did it before that was August 2000.

Remember kids, be safe, moderate yourself and we'll all be living it up at the party.

-Phuturephunk

thats the most well researched and thought out "e-tardedness" post i've read. i went through the same experience about a year ago, got really depressed and started reading about the how "E" actually works and found the same thing. its amazing, everything in moderation, in the spring i rolled again and once since and each time its been amazing. i rolled really hard for hours.

i hear people all the time saying "e used to be so much better, and the pills 5 years ago were the shit." i'm not saying that some pills aren't better than others because i know some are. what i am saying though is that the real reason people feel this away about pills is because of the pysiological effects e has had on their brains. pills are not significantly less potent than they were 5 years ago, they can simply only have so much effect on you after you've abused them.

if you want to really want to enjoy your drugs, mix them up. use them at different times and in moderation, thats what my scientific research has led me to do and i'll tell you what, the last year of partying has been the best ever in terms of fun and diminishing the side effects of doing to much of just one.

Amen Brother SD!

I agree, the pills haven't gotten worse, the people have been abusin them too often.

A funny aside:

Mixmag had an article about a year or so ago about the mitzis that got everyone back into using. E quality was actually on the decline for a while in England because all the dealers out there were cutting the pills down to almost nothing or lacing them with other substances entirely. Consumption went down, so the drug industry (LOL) decided to fix their rep and up the purity and concentration.

It worked. I have to speculate that it did BOTH from an increase in Quality and a decrease in the British population's frequency of usage.

Funny how things work out huh?

Originally posted by phuturephunk

Consumption went down, so the drug industry (LOL) decided to fix their rep and up the purity and concentration.

It worked. I have to speculate that it did BOTH from an increase in Quality and a decrease in the British population's frequency of usage.

ahh Capitalism, keeps the world goin' round.

its amazing how the basic rules of macro-economics (the same we studied in college) apply to all facets of life. if you spend any time reading about the drug trade you realise that is nothing more than another business. the quality of cocaine has consistently increased over the course of the last 30 years (you don't find me complaining). as the producers felt the pinch of users turning to other drugs, ecstacy, special K, heroin (with an increase in purity, decrease in the needs for needles, one less barrier preventing people from trying it) they had to increase the purity in order to maintain their share of the market.

whats amazing is that outside of all the violence, murders, corruption the drug trade is no different from our free market system except that they are a lot more successful, make a lot more money and don't pay taxes.

hhmmm, time for a career change.

You aint kiddin. I decided to "dabble" in E-commerce ;) for a while and I pulled in 3 times my bi-weekly salary in just under 3 days and I make a good salary. The margins on the stuff is incredible. For market stabilization purposes, I won't say exactly what price I paid, but anyone who's bought in bulk knows what a ride the average clubber gets taken on. .

The temptation was strong, but I cooled it off. . way too risky.

nice phuture...i always thought it was the pills....im gonna take it

easy for awhile...let all that shit you said get back to normal..then

i'll do it occasionally...so i know i can have a good time

everytime....good post...:D

Originally posted by madrusso

nice post phuture, thanks. just wondering , what happens when people OD, fall into coma and some die unfortunatelly, i heard a lot of cases its just overheating and dehydration.

Thanks

pills are actually not the reason that people die, its the side effects. people that die while using "E" are usually in clubs where its very hot, they are dancing non-stop for hours on end and their bodies simply dehydrate. as their bodies can't cool themselves they overheat and this can cause a coma and possible death. the actual medical cause of death is the same as the cause of death that football players such as Corey Stringer have been dieing from, overheating and dehydration, their bodies can no longer control their own temperatures.

this is why when doing any drugs in an area where it is really hot, where your dancing and sweating you should be sure to drink lots of water, and not drink alcohol as this simply dehydrates you more (hangovers are predominantly caused by dehydration, try drinking a glass of water with every few drinks and you'll feel much better the next morning).

hope that helps

wartz has a very good point. Every time I roll, after I come down, I sleep for approx. 4 and a half hours (every time, I don't know why) then I go out and get something to eat

It's hard to force down, but your body starts digesting the food and puts you to sleep and when you wake up, you'll feel alot better than if you don't eat.