Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NOT an ID post!!! Club Sound Systems 101.........411 Please.....

Guest saleen351

Guest saleen351

Ok I got some questions for you guys...

I've never been to Twilo but my buddy tells me you can hear that thing down the block????/ Its a phazon system??? What is that and I hear there is only like 4 in the world...Well if thats true where are the other 3 and how much do they cost and what makes them so special...Also what other clubs have the bomb system...I hear SF has a good new one..I hear the tunnels is garbage..Everyone talked about Merges system here at the shore but nothing special to me....

Originally posted by belladiva

u should get that shit off of your profile dude

absolutely...

anyways...a phazon system is more like a "method" of installing speakers. Just search online...and you'll find their website. The "phazon" team is just a group of guys who know a hell of a lot about speakers...they use 3-D models of areas to pinpoint the prime locations for various speakers...breaking the sound into it's 3-way components...

so you could have the lows coming from a speaker on the floor, while a small main for the high's might be above your heads...

a while ago...that twilo system was selling on ebay for around $30,000 i think...well that was the "opening" bid...and there was still a reserve...not only did the price include the speakers...but also flying the team to the location for the install...

as for the components themselves...i think they use standard components like JBL and stuff like that...

i know that a few clubs use an EAW setup...like Avalon in Boston...

-kurtis

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by belladiva

drama shoulda saw that one!!!:cool:;)

Sweet heart I didn't post in music for drama..I post in drama for drama, So reply to me there...and yes she did see it..That was the point...

Any way madcriso,, does all of this engineering really help...How does the phazon system sound compared to just a regular one???

yea...engineering can greatly enhance audio...

the human ear is really tricky...

there's stuff..."white" noise or something...which cancels soundwaves, lowering their volume...recently...new technology has allowed those things to be harnessed to "lower the volume" of places such as airports and construction sites...by cancelling certain frequencies of sound...thus lowering the volume...

it's been used in army technology for a while...muffling rifle shots or something...

anywho...

these computer programs calculate the characteristics of certain frequencies...and where the optimal placement for them is...and tries to eliminate as much "white" noise as possible...making ALL of the frequencies sound clearer

something like that...

-kurtis

Guest saleen351

madcriso,,,funny thing you mention white nosie...LIke at least 10 years ago when TLC channel first got started they had a showed called beyond 2000, it features new technology and shit like that..any way they demostrated on the show by hitting sound waves with the exact opposite wave they would cancel out and make it real quiet... SO I guess these sound guys try and not cancel out the sound huh? The best system I've ever heard was a place in Miami called Amnesia...I rate it the best because the club is totaly outside and to have a great sound outside aint easy....

Yeah, I majored in music production and engineering and I still don't understand all of the characteristics of sound. But everything from the frequency response of speakers to where you place them and tons of other shit has to do with how the audience will percieve the audio. High frequencies project in a much straighter path than bass frequencies which spread out more, so placement of the speakers is definitely critical, especially when you're trying to arrange it so that people hear the music the same no matter where they're standing in the club. And the lower the frequency, the longer it's waveform is, so distance and direction from walls also have a lot to do with it because they have to make sure that certain frequencies won't reflect from smooth surfaces and cancel themselves out when they bouce back at each other. Every little detail has to do with whether or not a system is going to sound excellent or just adequate in a club.

Originally posted by saleen351

Ok I got some questions for you guys...

I've never been to Twilo but my buddy tells me you can hear that thing down the block????/ Its a phazon system??? What is that and I hear there is only like 4 in the world...Well if thats true where are the other 3 and how much do they cost and what makes them so special...Also what other clubs have the bomb system...I hear SF has a good new one..I hear the tunnels is garbage..Everyone talked about Merges system here at the shore but nothing special to me....

actually people in chicago can hear it.. the system was bought by a club in chicago..

it was considered the best club sound system in the world.. phazon the company has installed systems in various clubs around the world including the UK superclub Home.. but the system at Twilo was considered *the* Phazon.. it was constantly upgraded and tweaked every week which is why it sounded so amazing.. the sound was so clear and crisp.. unlike the majority of clubs, you could go nearly anywhere in the main room and the sound would be almost identical.. that is the mark of a truly great system.. you also walked out in the morning w/o a harsh ringing typical of other clubs.. the bass shook the entire room and you could feel it.. there was a quote in a mag once about steve dash(mastermind behind phazon) where someone(can't remember who off the top of my head) praised dash b/c he was able to reach and octave deeper then ever before..

a friend of mine also told me about how they prepared the system for when Carl Cox and Danny Tenaglia spun together back in February.. they had DT come in one day before the gig and play a short set, about 3 hours.. during that time the computers that run the system collected data regarding the progression of his set, and use of knobs, faders, effects etc... that way they could customize the sound perfectly for him so that when Cox was finished w/ his set, a few simple clicks was all that was necessary.. and just as a note, that night may have been the best i've ever heard it..

as for the price question.. for phazon to install a system in your club was a minimum of $750,000.. the actual twilo system, i can only imagine..

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by PFloyd40

actually people in chicago can hear it.. the system was bought by a club in chicago..

it was considered the best club sound system in the world.. phazon the company has installed systems in various clubs around the world including the UK superclub Home.. but the system at Twilo was considered *the* Phazon.. it was constantly upgraded and tweaked every week which is why it sounded so amazing.. the sound was so clear and crisp.. unlike the majority of clubs, you could go nearly anywhere in the main room and the sound would be almost identical.. that is the mark of a truly great system.. you also walked out in the morning w/o a harsh ringing typical of other clubs.. the bass shook the entire room and you could feel it.. there was a quote in a mag once about steve dash(mastermind behind phazon) where someone(can't remember who off the top of my head) praised dash b/c he was able to reach and octave deeper then ever before..

a friend of mine also told me about how they prepared the system for when Carl Cox and Danny Tenaglia spun together back in February.. they had DT come in one day before the gig and play a short set, about 3 hours.. during that time the computers that run the system collected data regarding the progression of his set, and use of knobs, faders, effects etc... that way they could customize the sound perfectly for him so that when Cox was finished w/ his set, a few simple clicks was all that was necessary.. and just as a note, that night may have been the best i've ever heard it..

as for the price question.. for phazon to install a system in your club was a minimum of $750,000.. the actual twilo system, i can only imagine..

so what you are saying that it is very apparent once you walked into twilo that the system is def higher quality????????? Every week messing with it seems very expesive..........