Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The past evening...

pod

Well, I skunked on into the invite-only Billboard Live opening party, and I must say, Billboard Dead describes it better.

The only highlights were a live performance by Celia Cruz and I managed to grab a few shots of Perry Farrell. Bad DJ, but good for my book. Apparently the flyers were wrong, and they were only booked for the invite-only opener. BB Live couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a dance venue or a live music joint that night. In addition, severe overcrowding kept a lot of us waiting for a long time outside. Very disorganized overall...no one had a clue as to who was where, or when....people just sort of milled about, never staying put in one area really.

I must say it's a pretty styled up place though. Lotsa pretty lighting effects and decorations...If they can get their act together, something cool might result.

From a technical standpoint, it was no more impressive than any other major place on the beach. Someone posted a message here saying it was insane, but it really was kinda mediocre at best... crobar and level still kick the pants off of it, from a technical POV.

I talked with some other media folk there, and apparently, BB Live in LA is a total flop and is only really used for special events and the like...most of the media folk felt like I did and called it a night early...well on the upside I got a photo of Perry Farrell...but where the hell was Benitez?

I decided around 12:30 AM that I had had enough, and split for 'crobar live' as their marquee said that night :).

crobar had Teri Bristol from crobar Chicago on the decks, and she's insane! Bouncy happy hard house, the place was going off like a madhouse the whole night! She's quite camera friendly, too!I saw a lot of people from BB Live make a run for crobar, actually...Jesus the promoter played a role in that, handing out passes and such just outside of BB Live....I also overheard Juan and Teri talking at closing about a possible monthly residency...I'll be there :).

So, if anyone from Level, crobar, Space, or Opium is reading, don't worry about Billboard Live too much.