Clubplanet Nightlife Community

My Friday Metro Thoughts.....

Went to Metro to check out the place, I usually go on Sat. nights for the older crowd. Place was packed, lots of hot women but young... Can someone tell these young chicks to get off the blocks when they have no moves what so ever...? Music was just fucking off the wall, hard as hell but thats Richies style. Richie Rydell was good last night, lots of hard ass beats and then went into vocals around 1ish. Metro is great but my MAIN problem is there are 100 security guards with flashlights when they should be carrying a mop, wipe the fucking dance floor for once MAS fools....

The only mix I remember was a *69 remix and a derb remix played at the same time. Why does every crowd always pop so hard for Derb?? Song ran its course but the new version was nice. I still prefer the Sat. night party but Friday was just fine, good place for guys to scam young bimbos...

Nice to see A to Z, sorry I didn't chill longer or have the long awaited shot were supposed to do, I brought some meat there on a date so I had to entertain her..... Ill email you during the week.

Chris

I have to give props to Richie he tore it up last night. The place was a total madhouse.. I ushally dont go on Sat but i'm going to check it out tonight no way im going in city with all this shit going on. I heard Saturdays have been as good as Fridays but an older crowd. See you there tonight. Ill have a pink fuzzy hat on if anyone wants to come up and say hello.

Originally posted by thesandman

Went to Metro to check out the place, I usually go on Sat. nights for the older crowd. Place was packed, lots of hot women but young... Can someone tell these young chicks to get off the blocks when they have no moves what so ever...? Music was just fucking off the wall, hard as hell but thats Richies style. Richie Rydell was good last night, lots of hard ass beats and then went into vocals around 1ish. Metro is great but my MAIN problem is there are 100 security guards with flashlights when they should be carrying a mop, wipe the fucking dance floor for once MAS fools....

The only mix I remember was a *69 remix and a derb remix played at the same time. Why does every crowd always pop so hard for Derb?? Song ran its course but the new version was nice. I still prefer the Sat. night party but Friday was just fine, good place for guys to scam young bimbos...

Nice to see A to Z, sorry I didn't chill longer or have the long awaited shot were supposed to do, I brought some meat there on a date so I had to entertain her..... Ill email you during the week.

Chris

You should be going to a headhunter....Not Metro!!!!!

The facts are that Friday Nights @ Metro w/DJ Richie Rydell are one of the few bright spots in NJ's otherwise dismal nightlife. Richie consistently breaks new music for his crowd.

Unfortunately for NJ most of the other DJ's working in NJ just don't get it. It's called originality!

Petey K should be that forward thinking on his other nights.

Good job Richie!

Originally posted by kettleone4me

There is one other DJ in Jersey and his name is RICHIE SANTANA. By far the best in Jersey. For those that are questioning it. E-Mail me at cbrianwatkins@aol.com

I'll let you in for free and get your first 2 drinks(promise). Guaranteed you wont be dissappointed :)

If the remix work Richie Santana did on the Solar Twins cut "Allelujahs" is any indication, then I would agree that Richie Santana is probably a pretty good DJ. As a far as being the best in NJ, I couldn't compare his live set to the other DJ's I talked about in my previous post, in this thread, since I haven't had the opportunity to hear him live.

I will say that I have never been dissapointed when I went to hear Rich Rydell.

:letsgo: :letsgo: :letsgo:

I don't want to start a contest but while we're on the subject, I would have to say Andrew Mendez is one, or maybe the best DJ from Jersey.......Santana is good also, never heard Rydell......

I really hate when they are forced away from their style to play the "hits" so they can make the majority of the crowd happy and not lose their job.........

Sorry Tyco - But I totally disagree with your opinion. I have heard Andy play many many times over the last 3 years. He does not compare with Richie Rydell. I could go on and on about all the different reasons why, but I will pick just 1: Programming.

Programming, for the uninformed is what a DJ plays, as opposed to how he plays it.

Let me start out by saying the Andy is not a bad DJ, he just is not a great DJ. He is a "Jersey" DJ.

My main problem with Andy's programming is that he does not break new music. He is not the type of DJ to include something new in his program of his own volition. His influences are external, as opposed to being internally focused. Could I say that Andy has a distinct sound all his own, NO!. His sets beyond being mixed together well, are nothing extra-ordinary. They don't challenge or educate his audience.

I'll give you an example of what I am talking about. I have never heard him include for example a trance breaks record, or a piece of acid, or something elso that sounded distinctly different from the rest of his sets. His sets always stay safely in the tribal/progressive/vocal range that he is comfortable with.

A DJ that is great is an artist. An artist needs to stretch beyond what they know and are comfortable with to be defined as such, and on that measurment Andy falls short.

IMHO

Originally posted by laraver

Sorry Tyco - But I totally disagree with your opinion. I have heard Andy play many many times over the last 3 years. He does not compare with Richie Rydell. I could go on and on about all the different reasons why, but I will pick just 1: Programming.

Programming, for the uninformed is what a DJ plays, as opposed to how he plays it.

Let me start out by saying the Andy is not a bad DJ, he just is not a great DJ. He is a "Jersey" DJ.

My main problem with Andy's programming is that he does not break new music. He is not the type of DJ to include something new in his program of his own volition. His influences are external, as opposed to being internally focused. Could I say that Andy has a distinct sound all his own, NO!. His sets beyond being mixed together well, are nothing extra-ordinary. They don't challenge or educate his audience.

I'll give you an example of what I am talking about. I have never heard him include for example a trance breaks record, or a piece of acid, or something elso that sounded distinctly different from the rest of his sets. His sets always stay safely in the tribal/progressive/vocal range that he is comfortable with.

A DJ that is great is an artist. An artist needs to stretch beyond what they know and are comfortable with to be defined as such, and on that measurment Andy falls short.

IMHO

hey, you are entitled to your opinion although I disagree.......like I had said in my original post, I think a lot of DJs who hold residencies in Jersey are, at times, made to play a certain style to keep the people coming in........I've heard some of the "Jersey" DJs play elsewhere and they really bring out their style because they are able to..........

let's face it, this is a business and a majority of the clubbers in Jersey like to hear good music but they are not as critical as someone like yourself.......I can guaruntee that if popular DJs in Jersey, notably Mendez, were able to play freely without having to impress the "less musically educated" crowd to pay the bills, you would see a big change........I back this up with the fact that I have heard a few CDs from Mendez that weren't released on a label and they are actually straight techno.......much more underground than what he plays at Metro or Merge and their excellent.......

you may not see my point but for some of the Jersey DJs, I think their caught between a rock and a hard place in terms of playing how they really want.......simply because if they don't keep the crowd happy it's time for a new career.

Originally posted by tyco

hey, you are entitled to your opinion although I disagree.......like I had said in my original post, I think a lot of DJs who hold residencies in Jersey are, at times, made to play a certain style to keep the people coming in........I've heard some of the "Jersey" DJs play elsewhere and they really bring out their style because they are able to..........

let's face it, this is a business and a majority of the clubbers in Jersey like to hear good music but they are not as critical as someone like yourself.......I can guaruntee that if popular DJs in Jersey, notably Mendez, were able to play freely without having to impress the "less musically educated" crowd to pay the bills, you would see a big change........I back this up with the fact that I have heard a few CDs from Mendez that weren't released on a label and they are actually straight techno.......much more underground than what he plays at Metro or Merge and their excellent.......

you may not see my point but for some of the Jersey DJs, I think their caught between a rock and a hard place in terms of playing how they really want.......simply because if they don't keep the crowd happy it's time for a new career.

AS always I certainly respect your opinion. Yes there is unfortunately a mentaility here in NJ that makes it very difficult for DJ's to distinguish themselves via their programming.

Difficult but not impossible.

Given where Andy plays and how much he is regarded as a good DJ ( He is good, I don't want to get accused of bashing him now) he could easily slip in 30% new music, different music everytime he works. Done the right way, sandwiched between tracks that his crowd knows, they'll never know the difference. In a week or two they'll be asking him what those phat new tracks are.

And he'll still keep his job and be able to pay the bills.

Originally posted by laraver

AS always I certainly respect your opinion. Yes there is unfortunately a mentaility here in NJ that makes it very difficult for DJ's to distinguish themselves via their programming.

Difficult but not impossible.

Given where Andy plays and how much he is regarded as a good DJ ( He is good, I don't want to get accused of bashing him now) he could easily slip in 30% new music, different music everytime he works. Done the right way, sandwiched between tracks that his crowd knows, they'll never know the difference. In a week or two they'll be asking him what those phat new tracks are.

And he'll still keep his job and be able to pay the bills.

I agree and the times I've heard Andrew he has done just that.......

however, both you and I know that it's quite difficlut to construct a set that "represents" you as a DJ and that flows well when you have to keep throwing in "pop" tracks........even a few of those tracks can damage the set in the eyes of those who are extra critical......:)