Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Can I ask a really stupid question?

PLUR: Peace, Love, Unity, Respect.

Legend has it that the phrase was coined by Frankie Bones after one of the Storm parties which basically sealed rave culture's fate as a dominant force in new york. in one of his more eloquent speeches, bones said something to the effect that whatever direction raves go in, we have to always have PLUR.

since then its been a raver mantra, though as the first few rounds of ravers go through "things were so much better back in the day" thing, there has been a pretty cynical approach to PLUR (specifically that the new kids only want to get high and are not interested in the scene). They say plur is bullshit, especially after the stop rolling and see how rediculous kids in floppy dog ear backpacks look. So the expression has all but dropped off the face of the earth - because how could something so simple and beautiful have a negative connotation?

I still like it though....

It agrevates me that stupid nonesensical letters become popular in sequence, then poision our heads into thinking they actually mean something. I would like to meet the ignoramous wh started using words like dope, plur, phat, the fuckin list goes on. I have a new word for yah....Orchidacious....Look it up.

B

Originally posted by blowflyii

It agrevates me that stupid nonesensical letters become popular in sequence, then poision our heads into thinking they actually mean something. I would like to meet the ignoramous wh started using words like dope, plur, phat, the fuckin list goes on. I have a new word for yah....Orchidacious....Look it up.

B

right sentiment. wrong spelling.

or·chi·da·ceous (ôr'ki-da'shes) adj.

1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of the orchid family.

2. Suggesting ostentatious luxury; showy.

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

what does PLUR mean?

:o:confused:

Plump lurid underage ravers.....

The PLUR thing is so shot to all fuck.

The whole unreasonably happy thing doesn't really have much to with good music and dancing at all. Having a good time doesn't mean you've gotta be utterly irrational like SOME people...

Originally posted by blowflyii

B

No its not rediculous. It is a byproduct of millions of years of evolution. There is an entire field of study devoted to these things called memetics - somewhat on the fringe of "pure" science, but it is there nonetheless.

The idea is that memes, which are units of information (just like genes are units of physical production) are also participating in the evolutionary process of survival of the fittest. good memes spread like viruses from one host to the next (ie cults, acronyms, slogans, jingles, hooks in pop songs, lines like "we will smoke them out of every cave") while bad memes ("in a capitalist hegemony the beurocracy manipulates the prolatariat to their own end") just end up being lost in the dust.

Good memes:

- are short and sweet

- are easy to transmit via word of mouth, print, audio, etc.

- offer some amount of BENEFIT to host person

- treat you like you're special

- are non-threatening to your current beliefset

Good memes (aka bad for people) can infest your brain and take over the space where bad memes (aka intelligent rational thought) exist, and then can spread to other hosts. Understanding how memetics works could be the key to why religion was so popular, and how to counteract the idiocy of the masses.

do a google search on "selfish meme" for a good, non-technical introduction to memetics.

rob

ps it also happens that certain four letter words (like f*ck and sh*i) are the easiest sounds for humans to utter. people were developing computer systems that learn to talk without being explicitly programmed and all of the first words they were saying were swear words or slang - just because they are so easy to pronounce.

Originally posted by dialectics

Good memes (aka bad for people) can infest your brain and take over the space where bad memes (aka intelligent rational thought) exist, and then can spread to other hosts. Understanding how memetics works could be the key to why religion was so popular, and how to counteract the idiocy of the masses.

:D

do-oh...i think that can be considered a meme now....CRAP

Originally posted by dialectics

ps it also happens that certain four letter words (like f*ck and sh*i) are the easiest sounds for humans to utter.

and it also just so happens that the F word is, in itself, a meme, though it's meaning has been forgotten over the centuries (yes, Centuries!) that it has existed.

Fornification

Under

Consent

(of the) King

Originally posted by thehacker

and it also just so happens that the F word is, in itself, a meme, though it's meaning has been forgotten over the centuries (yes, Centuries!) that it has existed.

Fornification

Under

Consent

(of the) King

you're kidding.....

so it's true...Monty Python lied to me.....

:(

I remember the defintions of "Fuck" dating back further than the Victorian period in England. The OED dates it back as far as England under Edward IV. It wasn't always "Fuck" as I remember correctly; fuck is a variation on an earlier English as well as Irish term that I can't remember. There was also an essay I read once on one of the first English novels "Beware The Cat" which deals with several euphemisms regarding Catholic treatment of the Irish in Spenser's age (and before); some essays were written about the book some 70-200 years after the work, and one in particular that stuck out was an essay written by Sir Thomas More (before he wrote Utopia or History of King Richard III), titled "Grievance of Majesty" that included a long elaboration on the usage of the original form of the word "Fuck." It was most likely used before Edward IV's rule as well.

Dear Cecil:

The following question isn't something I could send to Action Line, but I've always wanted to know: what is the origin of the "F" word? A friend told me it's an abbreviation of "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge,'' which was supposedly stamped on the foreheads of couples who were locked up in the stocks for fornicating without benefit of matrimony. Also, whither the expression "fuck you"? I've always agreed with George Carlin, who says "unfuck you" would be a more appropriate curse, indicating you hope the person you are cursing would never enjoy the pleasure of sex again, rather than wishing them the opposite. --Lois S., Mesa, Arizona

Cecil replies:

This is going to be a little crude, folks, but let's try to keep a stiff upper lip. I've heard a number of variations of the "fuck-as-acronym" story, none of which, in my opinion (and that of most linguists), is even remotely likely: (1) It stands for "fornication under consent of the king," which was supposedly tacked up over the doors of government-approved brothels in early England. (2) It stands for "for the use of carnal knowledge," which allegedly was stamped on condoms, or, alternatively, used the same way as "for unlawful carnal knowledge."

This passion for preposterous acronyms seems to be peculiar to Anglo-Americans, and some believe it started around World War I, about the same time many acronyms began popping up in government. Others I've come across include P.O.S.H. ("port outward, starboard home"), said to have been stamped on the tickets of first class passengers on India-bound British ships who wanted their cabins on the shady side of the boat during the passage through the tropics; C.O.P. ("constable on patrol"); and T.I.P. ("to insure promptness"). All are rubbish. The best guess is that "fuck" comes from the Middle English fucken, to strike, move quickly, penetrate, from the German ficken, meaning approximately the same thing. A related word may be the Middle Dutch fokken, to strike, copulate with. We get a clue here as to the level of delicacy and tenderness that has characterized the sex act down through the ages, and which is recalled by the charming epithet "fuck you."

Many other possible etymologies have been offered. Some claim the F-word (sorry to have to resort to this lame expression, but you have no idea how tiresome it can be to type "fuck" a million times) is a truncation of "fecund." Richard Spears, author of the splendid Slang and Euphemism, says the word may be a disguise of the French foutre, same meaning, which comes from the Latin futuere. Another possible origin, Professor Spears says, is the Latin pungo, to prick. Give me a break, doc.

Having totally ODed on gutter epithets, let us move briefly to the cheerful world of euphemism. Professor Spears has amassed an awesome collection of synonyms for the generative act (under "occupy," p. 278, in case you're the type who likes to look up dirty words in reference books), including the following, which gives you an idea of the never-ending richness of the English language: bang, batter, beef, bumble, blow off the loose corns, bounce the brillo, dance the buttock jig, do a dive in the dark, flimp, flurgle, foin, foraminate, futz, get one's leather stretched, get one's nuts cracked, get one's oil changed, go bird's nesting, go bush-ranging, go like a rat up a rhododendron, go star-gazing on one's back, have a bun in the oven, have a game in the cock-loft, have a leap up the ladder, have hot pudding for supper, hide the ferret, hide the salami, hide the sausage, hive it, jazz it, knock it off, lay some pipe, light the lamp, lose the lamp and pocket the stake, make her grunt, mix one's peanut butter, palliardize, pestle, pheeze, pizzle, play cars and garages, plow, plug, plook, ram, rasp, ride below the crupper, shoot between wind and water, strop one's beak, varnish one's cane, wet one's wick, wind the clock, and work the hairy oracle--some 675 synonyms in all. The ingenuity displayed in this, ahh, well-plowed ground is nothing short of awesome.

ichi notes... see also:

http://www.snopes2.com/language/acronyms/fuck.htm

and

http://www.urbanlegends.com/language/etymology/fuck/fuck_etymology_of.html