Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Can I ask a really stupid question?

Originally posted by thehacker

yes, i am a cunning linguist.

My name is Rob. James Rob.

Linguistics and AI are fundamentally related - as are linguistics and digital signal processing (which is currently a stepping stone of mine towards computational neuroscience). reason being is that NLP (natural language processing - getting the meaning out of ordinary humanspeak instead of dumb computer languages) is so extraordinarily difficult that nobody has even began to come close. however, we know that there can be machines which can do it because there already are: people.

communication is the first thing that allows any organism, digital or biological, to rise above the level of dumb beast. (I'm thinking Hunter S. Thompson here). In fact, many linguists and brain theorists believe that language is the ROOT of intelligence.

I definitely don't know much about linguistics, but it is something that i'm extremely interested in. Especially since Noam Chomsky also has the pleasure of being the only intelligent critic of the US that I have ever seen published (though now he's really starting to piss me off because he is simply spouting the same rhetoric as everyone else. just because someone has an unpopular opinion is not an excuse to be closed minded)

One day we should all meet and get into some incredible "who we are and why we're here" discussions. i'd love to hear what everyone has to say.

peaz,

rob

Originally posted by dialectics

One day we should all meet and get into some incredible "who we are and why we're here" discussions. i'd love to hear what everyone has to say.

peaz,

rob

I am unsure, sometimes, of exactly who I am... and sometimes why I am here. What I know for sure is that I have had a lot of fun and met a lot of interesting people along the way. And for that, I'm pretty thankful.

ichi

ichi:

i believe that life is a precious gift

i believe that we are meant to experience EVERYTHING that life has to offer

i believe that love is the only thing we will be able to take with us after we die

i believe that we are not even a blip on the scale of significance of the universe

i believe that art and science are inseperable

i believe that humankind's greatest feature is the ability to CREATE. in that respect i believe that we just might have been created in God's image

i believe above all that leading a good life can be accomplished by making millions of tiny decisions

i believe...

that everything we experience is one VAST timeline

moving so incredibly slow that in fact it lasts forever,

and that what we thing of as our human lifetime

is like a single frame a feature length film.

there are more parts to this theory,

and it blows the doors off string theory

and quantum physics and religion and

belief in reincarnation.

i'd love to sit around with a bunch of you all one day and break it down. it's a lot to wrap your head around. i've tried and failed many times until one night i got the basics on paper.

it's almost as hard as trying to clear your head of all other thoughts and just consider the concept of infinity.

try it some time.

try to imagine INFINITY.

try to imagine FOREVER.

Originally posted by thehacker

i believe...

that everything we experience is one VAST timeline

moving so incredibly slow that in fact it lasts forever,

and that what we thing of as our human lifetime

is like a single frame a feature length film.

there are more parts to this theory,

and it blows the doors off string theory

and quantum physics and religion and

belief in reincarnation.

i'd love to sit around with a bunch of you all one day and break it down. it's a lot to wrap your head around. i've tried and failed many times until one night i got the basics on paper.

it's almost as hard as trying to clear your head of all other thoughts and just consider the concept of infinity.

try it some time.

try to imagine INFINITY.

try to imagine FOREVER.

can we really do this?

It's been ages since I wrapped my aching head around some good metaphysics....

:(

Originally posted by deanna11

i believe i can fly

that's nice :)

hacker, xpander, anyone else who is interested: yuppers i think we should be doing this. assistance is good but later on in the evening - i'd like to at least get STARTED on a somewhat serious note.

rob