Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Attn: Dialectics RE: Paul Van D

well, i read a message you posted the other day about your lucky friend interviewing that fly dj from holland

Is your friend that sweet lookin girl from msg metro?/? she's a spunky, cute chick who reports real well and I saw the interview today---

Regarding Paul, is he playing anywhere here soon?/? i heard he was, but forgot the venue

Haha i wish he is a chubby guy from channel 9. Apparently there is a cd release party tonight but my friend isn't going so i can't get in (bastard).

taken from the october 2001 issue of mixer magazine:

Down deep between the grooves there's a political edge to this release. Its title was partly spurned by seeing clubs like Twilo (where van Dyk was a resident) and London's Home close due to governmental pressure. In fact, as of this meeting, he says in amazement that for the first time in his career, he doesn't even have a New York date on his forthcoming global tour.

"Before I do something that might be an absolute mess for me, the people and the promoter because of a political situation, I'd rather skip it," he says. "I don't want to play for ten minutes and then have the police come and put a thousand people in jail."

In a move to shed some light on clubland's political woes, van Dyk joined a German consortium in June, which in turn, contacted the Goethe Institute, an organization that has done everything from sponsoring a techno event in San Fransisco to subsidizing schools in order to spread German culture.

"We contacted the Institute to put an official letter together coming from the cultural people of the German government saying dance music is youth culture," he says. "There might be problems with drug abuse in the places related to the music, but it doesn't actually prevent the culture from growing if you close the clubs down. It'll just [make it] go underground [where it] won't be controlled anymore. We've asked to sit together and find a solution about the drug use and to make sure that a whole cultural movement isn't put in the corner and told 'You are bad.'"

So far, the letter has ben bogged down in beurocracy, but van Dyk remains hopeful that it will be delivered to Mayor Rudolph Guliani, who has worked hard over his two terms to shut down and sanitize nightlife in the Big Apple. "We have to focus on and speak out for our rights. It's more than a fight for your right to party sityation," Paul adds.

Rob

my greatest nights out:

my first time @ tunnel in 1995 - i only had one glowstick because i never knew you needed two

Dance valley 2000, 2001 in amsterdam

Tiesto, Tall paul at amnesia, Ibiza

Dimitri at Haoman 17, Israel

Carl Cox doing afterhours in miami

Paul van Dyk, Twilo April 2001

i can't wait until the master comes back.... we won't be able to find a club big enough to hold im....

WoW, man... i didn't know Paul was so organized and active in revitalizing the club life....

He should come over to the states more often... the only touch i have of him is a one-hour MP3 in Amsterdam, but it rocked my dorm room last year

YO DIA... i see you like Dmitri and Carl Cox. Carl is def. my fav. DJ, where will he be spinning next?//? DMitri is supposed to be at Centro middle of November, we hsould schedule a meet-up!

(i'm on a coffee buzz, so please forgive my jitters :shake: )

cookie.jpg

DON"T EAT HER HEAD, SHE"S NOT A COOKIE!!!