Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Any review from Earth?

Hey there :) Been there, done that...bought a louder alarm clock ;)

Copy/pasting for you some reviews from NB and Rob Promotions :)

Overall turned out to be a great night with a bit of a rough start. Sound system was downright HURTING for a while there. I think that was the main reason energy levels were pretty low until 9am.

After that however...rockin'. Was, I think, the best closing we've heard at Earth yet.

Here's a few comments made on other boards....

Sorry for a few personal references:

Junior review and thanks :)

And of course greetings and salutations and thanks to Twilostud + crew, DJMizark, Holly? Where were you?

I had a fantastic time as usual. Danced my little tushy off. Big thanks to Hisham and Benke for coming along and checking it out. I'm so glad you two enjoyed it! It was a terrific night. Had a blast with you both.

A little review...

Arrived around 5:30 and the first few hours felt a bit off. Something wasn't quite right with the vibe/energy and I can't put my finger on it but I think its a combination of the crowd shift plus, the sound has gotten a bit muddy since last week. I really hope they work on this because there were points that the bass was just downright painful and others where you couldn't hear the vocals in a song...at all. This made Junior's hard tribal beats for the first few hours a little rough. As he softened a bit and got a bit more playful it was much better.

Thank goodness Junior's remix of Finally came across just fine. I got to let loose and finally hear that dang thing!

By 9ish things started to come together and from then till close (around1:30) the vibe, energy level and music were fantastic. I think this was pretty close to the closing a lot of us were waiting for.

Performances were fun once again and it adds a great element toward making Earth really feel like a "party."

The party seems to be starting to create its own crowd, but the low numbers compared to the size of the space is worrying me a bit. Heard one pair of losers make a homophobic comment, but it was lost of deaf ears

Very much looking forward to next weekend. I've a feeling its gonna be a packed house and real high energy.

Once again, I'm delightfully sleepy and a bit sore Hope to see some new faces on the dancefloor soon!

-Oo (who is oh so happy to have her saturday party back)

-------------------------------------------------

I have to agree, Twilostud...energy level was unusually low for most of the morning. I think you're right...folks saving up for next week and/or perhaps the problems early on with the sound system was the problem.

To follow your tradition, Twilostud...here's a copy of a review from Rob Promotion's for anyone who is curious. Contains an extensive track listing too

Once again, thanks guys for another great one! So glad Benke and Hisham enjoyed it. I so love introducing new folks to this!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earth - (farily brief) review...

Posted by Tup (152.163.204.197) on October 22, 2001 at 8:09 am:

I'd describe it as a good night (not great), but that was mostly because it seemed that despite Jr's best efforts (and he played very well), the crowd for whatever reason had zero energy. The Ultra Nate' peformance brought "polite" sounding applause, but certainly not the cheers and respect she deserved. Following her performance Jr. tried to stir some sort of response from the crowd by playing HARD and really picking up the bpm's - all to no avail as it seemed most everyone was content to simply chit chat on the dancefloor and had no idea what music was being played. Oh well - maybe with Halloween coming up people either stayed in or just didn't feel like paying attention?

But rather than let this sorry attitude affect my night I focused on the music, the friends I saw there, and the changes in the club since the opening. Loved the music, and again he featured so many (new)songs that remain unidentied - actually nice to hear a whole new batch of stuff that hopefully will become the new "staples" of Earth. Soundsystem seems both improved in some aspects (added 2 speaker bins on each side of the main floor) and they've definitely got enough power to fill that large space...but the bass was beyond "bad" - it was actually painfully distorted for the first few hours I was there. At one point it cleared up and the treble was also adjusted, making it sound perfect for awhile - then seemed to slide downhill again. Overall I'd say the sound continues to improve each week IMO - not saying there's not a ton of improvements to be made but they're progressing.

They added some new large white strobes running up the 2 columns flanking each side of the stage. Loved these and thought the light guy (who IMO has been "studying" up on Jr's music and can now follow the build-ups/dropouts pretty well - though we all still miss Mike!) used them effectively (and sparingly) - they literally seem to "blast" the entire room with light (just one "pulse" - not a continuous strobe). Of course I was hoping they'll now add some lights on the other columns surrounding the dancefloor - !

There's now a Guest DJ booth on the mainfloor directly under Jr's booth, though it seems to be unfinished.

Here's a few songs he featured:

Blackwatch - Foreshadow

Smoke Machine - XPress2 (this sounded amazing and really works in this space, and they actually cued the smoke machines in time with the music! - who knew? haha).

So Strong - Ben Shaw feat. Adele Holmes

Systems of Silence - BRM (jr's mix)

Keep Control - Sono (jr's mix). Biggest crowd response of the night - love the energy his mix brings to this song. He worked the siren at the buildup and the place finally blew up!

Break For Love - PSB's (jr's) Love his new "darker" sound on this mix, which samples "So Strong" (see above) riff. Loved it, along with,

Human - Rod Stewart. Completely new sound for a Jr. mix - gone are any "marathon" traits. Favorite new mix for me.

Dancefloor - Nikki Harris. Love love love this - this one finally woke the crowd up...

HIAB - Sunshine Anderson

O!HEUS - Blu Cantrell

Family Affair - Mary J. Seems he "softened" the "Show Me" sample by actually removing it and re-recording it using a less harsh sounding synth. Totally fits into the song now.

Your Child - Mary J.

What's Goin' On - Jr' mix (cute use of Black Box's "Everybody Everybody" synth line in the mix)

I think he played Oakie's song from Planet of the Apes - flashed up scenes from the orig. movie on the monitors. (title?)

Sound of the Floor - Steve Lawler. This was incredible to hear, and thanks to the id from Scott! Hopefully he'll incorporate this one into his weekly mix.

House Music - Sabrina J.

Hallelulia - Sabrina J.

Show Me Love - Robin S.

Losing Our Love - Mitchells (this one threw me - hadn't heard this in ages! thank you!)

Five Miles to Empty - Brownstone (werk!)

Major gag that Scott can fill you in on - mum's the word for now as it was to be a surprise for someone to hear he played this...

Secret Lovers - Atlantic Starr

Finally - K.O.T. (DT's mix - briefly into the accapella at the end)

many of course - and more to come.

Will cut this short and just say I had a good time and it was great seeing the "crew" just carrying despite less than stellar conditions. Thanks for the smiles y'all. I'm being patient for what I'll call a "work in progress" re: the club itself.

Special thanx also to Naomi who supplied the only back-to-mine - turning out her own mix on the decks with MikeNY and PaulNYC serving guest dj spots. Much appreciated and great to see so many faces, old and new!

see ya,

Tup