Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Are we not focused enough on the party?

Kuro

I've seen this issue brought up elsewhere and it was mentioned again in the thread about hooking up. It seems that a lot of are really focused on the music, and I happen to think that's great, but should we be focused more on the party as a whole? My first couple of times at Twilo I didn't really know anything about the music (other than I was starting to love it) and just enjoyed the whole experience: the lights, the huge crowd all dancing together, the people smiling, and of course the wild music which continued non-stop (the fact that it was mixed together so smoothly by Mr. Digweed without the DJ interrupting in order to sive shout outs or any shit like that was great). Now I'm a little more focused on the music, wanting to hear cool new tracks, check out different DJs, etc. And though I say that's a better reason for going there than hooking up or whatever else, is it really a better reason or just a different one. Shouldn't the real point be to have a good time? It's not like it's a music appreciation class, it's a fucking club. Should we have more of a concern about all the other aspects of the party?

I think that happens with all of us....when I first got into the scene, I was more about the party, ie, enjoying substancEs, meeting people - of course, dancing was a large part of it, but I didn't know much about the music other than I enjoyed it.

However, as I learned more about the music, my main focus turned toward the music; listening to new tracks, "feeling" the DJ, etc.

That might be one reason why the older clubbers/ravers tend to look at the new generation with "disgust" (??) saying they're only into the drugs, etc - in reality, that might be very hypocritical since we were all there at one time.

For me it IS the partyl Don't get me wrong, I love the music - but going to a club, seeing a DJ live, being f*cked up with my friends and bouncing the entire night, and yes, even hooking up with a cutie occasionally are all part of what I LOVE about this scene! The whole experience is completely cathartic and it nourishes my soul.

However, I still think going to any sort of venue purely to hook up is sort of pathetic. There's a bit of dishonesty to it. Does that make sense?

Let me use another example. I think people who do volunteer work purely to meet people are just as pathetic. Now, if you want to meet people and you also happen to be passionate about feeding the homeless, then serving in a soup kitchen is a good way to do both things. But don't go there if you really don't give a crap about the cause, you know? That, to me, seems dishonest.

But, in the end, it really doesn't matter. As long I'm with my friends, the DJ is spinning mad tracks, and the Guidos and hoochies keep their hands off me - I'm happy! :cool:

Yaeh, I agree with Malanee its about everything. Its like eating a hot dog and not putting ketchup nor relish in it, 'cause in the end if it was trully about the music we could all stay home and pop Britney Spears tracks at home.

Basically I go to a club 'cause its the whole package I'm after: grinding poor inocent girls :D is one of them, but sure enough you need the music, the people, the decoration, the venue, the liquid refreshments :drunk: , the illegal stuff, the visits to the bathroom :gas::puke: and all of that which I cant, obviously replicate in my home.

Of course this experience also gives me an opportunity to act like ---->:monkey: :screwy: and :goofy:

Originally posted by malanee

For me it IS the partyl Don't get me wrong, I love the music - but going to a club, seeing a DJ live, being f*cked up with my friends and bouncing the entire night, and yes, even hooking up with a cutie occasionally are all part of what I LOVE about this scene! The whole experience is completely cathartic and it nourishes my soul.

preach it girlie

It should be all about the party. Go out, have a good time. If we all sit around and bitch about DJ sets and shit like that, it's time for us to stay home cause for the love of God, it's only a party! It does happen to all of us. I went through that stage a little while ago. But now, fuck it. It's all about the party. At the end of the day, let's face it, even if the DJ is trainwrecking every single tune, it still beats sitting at home slapping the... well, you fill in the blanks...

Oh, yeah, but we should still all bitch about Oakie. Cause he sucks.... :D

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

It should be all about the party. Go out, have a good time. If we all sit around and bitch about DJ sets and shit like that, it's time for us to stay home cause for the love of God, it's only a party! It does happen to all of us. I went through that stage a little while ago. But now, fuck it. It's all about the party. At the end of the day, let's face it, even if the DJ is trainwrecking every single tune, it still beats sitting at home slapping the... well, you fill in the blanks...

Oh, yeah, but we should still all bitch about Oakie. Cause he sucks.... :D

That's what I'm starting to think. I had no pressing need to go to Buzz last week, but a friend of mine who never goes out anywhere wanted to go so there was no way I was going to miss seeing him out at a club. And I wasn't much into Taucher cuz he's just not my style, but I had lots of fun anyway. For once I actually checked out the rest of Nation, wandered around watched the people, went into the front room, enjoyed the sights, etc. OF course the music is still the foundation for me, but I unless I absolutely hate what I'm hearing and can't bear to listen to it I'll try to have a good time no matter regardless.

Originally posted by Kuro

OF course the music is still the foundation for me, but I unless I absolutely hate what I'm hearing and can't bear to listen to it I'll try to have a good time no matter regardless.

Yeah think about a night out at a club as Thanksgiving dinner:

the club is your house

the people are..uh, the people

the music is the turkey

the "refreshments" and "herbs" are the side dishes

the hooking up is the dessert

Originally posted by scratchapella

did you get to hear Feelgood at all? How was he? I keep meaning to go. .. .

Yeah I caught Feelgood. He was playing harder than I expected, though I 'm not sure what I expected exactly. My memories of other Feelgood sets I've heard are hazy because I haven't heard him since late last year and I was definitely fucked up at the time, but I don't remember him playing so hard. A couple of the joints he dropped actually sounded like some of the techno I've been buying lately when I pitch it way down and try to mix it in with prog. Other than that he was spinning progressive. Only track I actually remember is Smoke Machine. Mixing was good.

I didnt see him last week, but saw him the next to last time he was at Buzz, late summer more or less, went with a friend who wanted to listen to some good house music.....well we were surprised, cause house isnt exactly what he played, but we liked it alot...he even dropped like some remix of a new order tune...cant remnember which one

Originally posted by Kuro

That's what I'm starting to think. I had no pressing need to go to Buzz last week, but a friend of mine who never goes out anywhere wanted to go so there was no way I was going to miss seeing him out at a club. And I wasn't much into Taucher cuz he's just not my style, but I had lots of fun anyway. For once I actually checked out the rest of Nation, wandered around watched the people, went into the front room, enjoyed the sights, etc. OF course the music is still the foundation for me, but I unless I absolutely hate what I'm hearing and can't bear to listen to it I'll try to have a good time no matter regardless.

The only thing I can add is I don't think any of us should take this too seriously. Otherwise, it becomes a chore, and no fun. The DJ's, the music, the drugs, whatever. It should never be a burden to go out and have a good time. It's all about going out and partying your ass off with friends. It shouldn't be the DJ that makes or breaks the club. It's the clubber that makes or breaks the club.