Clubplanet Nightlife Community

sasha & digweed review

scratchapella

ok, I'm going to vent bout all the bad stuff first and then tell you how dope it was to finally hear sasha live.

first, the venue sucked. i think they're doing this all over america too. picking a huge ass, concert like, inappropriate venue where the sound sucks and the encourages a rock concert vibe. . . the congress theatre used to be a great place for parties before chicago revived the old crackhouse laws to stop raves within city limits, an old abandoned theater, hundreds of happy kids, and extra blocks of sound set up everywhere. . . . but for some reason, the congress was off that night. it was so crowded on the dancefloor that no one could really dance. . .just bounce, and all the fucked up people just sitting in the extra theatre seats everywhere killed the vibe. . . sound was weak too. . .I stayed in the balcony most of the night (less crowded) and the sound didn't even reach us. . .

missed the jimmy van m's opening set (about an hour and half supposedly good) digweed went on around 9:30, till about 11. missed that too. :mad: short and stupid story, not worth mentioning. but we were able to catch the transition when sasha came on. my first time hearing sasha live. pretty damn good. his mixing was TIGHT. sorry, kids, couldn't trainspot the trance being played. . .though, it got really acid trancey, trance I can dig, halfway through his set. . .finally around 1, digweed and sasha both tagteamed for a while. . .played the old favorites (classics? i dunno) at the end. . .heaven scent, expander:)

then security made extra efforts to have all kicked out by 2 am exactly.

all in all, a good show, finally got to hear sasha live. . .but worth the $41.50 and the extra $32 dollars I dropped that night? I'm not sure. maybe we shouldn't have hyped this up so much . . .?

Hmmm...I might only get back Sat morning, and then I have to work the rest of the day, and all day Sunday :(. So you might get your review in before me, but I'll try post one too!

Wish you had a chance to check out S&D at Twilo, Scratch. Definitely worth the $35!

Hmmm...now I'm considering ...should I try sell my S&D tix and try catch Richie Hawtin at Limelight instead... :D

S&D do not inspire that "feeling" in me anymore; like they would have last year, this time!

Originally posted by scratchapella

but we were able to catch the transition when sasha came on. my first time hearing sasha live. pretty damn good. his mixing was TIGHT. sorry, kids, couldn't trainspot the trance being played. . .though, it got really acid trancey, trance I can dig, halfway through his set. . .finally around 1, digweed and sasha both tagteamed for a while. . .played the old favorites (classics? i dunno) at the end. . .heaven scent, expander:)

that WAS the good news! :laugh:

you're right though, i mainly went to finally hear this duo live. and i did.

Originally posted by raver_mania

S&D do not inspire that "feeling" in me anymore; like they would have last year, this time!

I'm with ya on that. Hate to say it, but I'm over 'em. Maybe it's cause I haven't seen them in a long time. But considering I've been floored by Saeed & Palash, wowed by Anthony Pappa, blown away by Lee Burridge/Jimmy Van M, mesmerized by Deep Dish, and completely shocked by Dave Seaman during that time span. I'd have to say, sorry, S&D, but you're the ex-girlfriend that went away for six months and came crawling back to me ugly and annoying - it's on to bigger and better things, baby! :D

If I was able to make it to NY I think I'd probably opt for Hawtin and Acquaviva instead and keep hoping that Buzz gets one or both of them within the next few months. Not that I don't like both of them, and not that it wouldn't be great to see them together again, but the magic of it was in part due to the Twilo experience as a whole. Then again, people keep saying that they think the NYC show may be different then the other shows around the country since it is NYC. Plus they get to go till 8 or whenever. I'm starting to learn that 2 AM is closing time for lots of places around the country. I used to bitch about Buzz closing too early cuz I went clubbing in New York first, but I will not complain anymore.