Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Louie Devito: A Different Point of View

liquidchaz

I was just noticing how much people criticize Louie Devito and his infamous NYC Underground Party CDs. Now I understand why people believe that he's a total poser for exploiting other people's music... now I agree with you... but I think Louie Devito inevitably makes the whole dance scene even better... let me explain...

On his CD's, LD usually takes the most played commercial club successes of the year and then releases them widely to the general music listening public. He basically exploits and sells the hell out of songs we liked YEAR(S) ago. But what he's doing is taking the whole electronic dance groove to new masses of people. In a lot of ways, he's commericalizing the scene. Now I believe this is GOOD...

By introducing more and more people to the art of DJing, remixing, and producing... it forces the people at the top (ie: JP, PVD, Oakenfold, Tiesto, Vicious, etc etc.) to NOT GET LAZY. It forces more competition. It forces the best to become even better.

Cause I mean... there's probably some computer literate 15 year old kid who's gonna listen to the Moon, Massive or Thunderpuss for the first time when NYC 4 is released and say "I can do a remix of that... only better!"

And again, don't take this the wrong way... but sometimes it's good to give the people on top a run for their money. For example... I LOVE Johnny Vicious... but how many more songs of the same style can he milk out of Lula? Same thing with Derb... how many times can he use that same instrument? I think of how many top remixers reuse the same instruments and hit-making formula over and over again.

So, in summary. I think commericalizing dance music will, in the long run, turn out better music. NYC, Chicago, London, etc... they'll always be on top of the cutting edge of music... but the standard for "cutting edge" needs to be raised.

Just my two cents.

-Chaz

I think you put your point out very well said. Nice job.

-HOWEVER-

When you hear some punk-ass who thinks they are the shit driving down the road with their speakers blaring a song that was clearing hot a year and a half ago, doesn't it kinda bother you?

I mean, I kinda think it takes away from what the song was to the real clubbers that enjoyed it when it was popular in the club.

I think commercializing the music is like trying to take away the line that separates the difference between actual clubbers who enjoy the the club and its music and the posers that listen to anything the radio will play yet swear they love the music.

For example, a genre out of club music - take like NOFX or something - they refuse to be publicized, appear on MTV, etc.. because they feel that takes away from what they are as a band. Therefore, the real NOFX fans are the ones that really ARE NOFX fans, not just some kids who heard the catchy tune on the radio and all of a sudden are an instant fan.

Ehh.. I dunno, I've always had a lot of thoughts about popularizing things and whatnot.. no one is right or wrong in this issue - it's just a matter of what it means to you and how you view it. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Liquidchaz is talking (err...writing) about what our country is founded upon - a free market economy based on capitalism.

The belief being that competition forces everyone to keep working and striving to come out with better goods & services makes better products for us as consumers. This ensures that no one gets complacent.

And thank god complacency doesn't last in the clubbing scene.

Originally posted by codica3

When you hear some punk-ass who thinks they are the shit driving down the road with their speakers blaring a song that was clearing hot a year and a half ago, doesn't it kinda bother you?

I mean, I kinda think it takes away from what the song was to the real clubbers that enjoyed it when it was popular in the club.

I think commercializing the music is like trying to take away the line that separates the difference between actual clubbers who enjoy the the club and its music and the posers that listen to anything the radio will play yet swear they love the music.

For example, a genre out of club music - take like NOFX or something - they refuse to be publicized, appear on MTV, etc.. because they feel that takes away from what they are as a band. Therefore, the real NOFX fans are the ones that really ARE NOFX fans, not just some kids who heard the catchy tune on the radio and all of a sudden are an instant fan.

Ehh.. I dunno, I've always had a lot of thoughts about popularizing things and whatnot.. no one is right or wrong in this issue - it's just a matter of what it means to you and how you view it. :cool: :cool: :cool:

I hear yah. no doubt ;)

These nyc underground cd's kill these songs that i use to love like the radio where i cant stand songs anymore. Like take for instance let me love you tonight by Da buzz i use to love this song, now they play it a million times on z100 and i cant stad the song anymore. This is exactly what devito does with his cds.

good call liquidchaz... i never thought of it that way... but the only thing that i dont like is... your saying "the songs we listened to YEAR(s) ago." ... but i dont stop listening to GOOD songs just bcuz they r old.. i still listen to my old stuff. Thats y is gets ppl pissed off... now we see ppl who dony know jack sh*t about house rockin it and the song starts to get annoying after the 100th time i hear it... just like "derb" ... i got this song VERY early bcuz i recored one of "dj boris'" sets on KTU... i was the first one out of all my friend to hear "derb" and i LOVED the song.. but once the radio stations like KTU and Z100 got it.. they played it ever half hour... it got very annoying!

but i see where ure coming from... i respect ure opnion... well said...:D :D

Originally posted by djtonydraper

YAH HE ENCOURAGES ME TO TRY MY BEST AND PUT MY ALL ITNO MY WORK THAT WAY ONE DAY ONE OF MY TRAXX CAN FINALLY END UP ON A NYC UNDERGROUND CD

First of all, I never said he would "encourage" anyone. I said he'd compete with you... which is exactly what he's doing. AND, I dunno bout you, but as a remixer/DJ, I think the underground CD's would promote me to a whole new group of people. NYC UG Party doesn't need to affect a DJ's credibility. If your good, your good. :cool:

Ok seriously Louie Devito is one of the hard working Djs out there and in my opionion, great. Hes drop dead gorgeous hes got a fast car ( no im not a gold digger :P) lol Hes really sweet too. I've meet him a few times. All of his cds are pretty decent and even if they are commercial and taken off other ppls work you gotta give the guy credit . Hes working making the big bucks and boy is he enjoying everyminute of it. And I would be too :) :)