Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Attn: Computer Geeks with AIM (question)

Occasionally one has difficulty file sharing through the FTP feature that AIM has due to some cheesy firewall stuff.

I recall that one time, someone had posted an answer to this method, using a port number in the file sharing preference of AIM. Was it a universal #, and does anyone know what it is?

-Steve

Hmmm...good question. I wish I knew the answer because the firewall here blocks it occasionally. But, the weird thing is it doesnt block my connection to everyone, just certain people. I would think that it is a specific port that AIM uses to send file transfers. Certain firewalls block certain ports so maybe with some firewalls it works and some it doesn't. I'll do some research and see what I can come up with.

I found this on the AIM website :

Q: I am not able to transfer files with one or more other users.

A: This may be due to the use of a firewall on your network. A firewall is a security device on your network to prevent potentially harmful data from coming in, and to prevent certain other data from going out. Depending on how a firewall is configured, it may prevent AIM file transfer from working. There is nothing AIM can do to get around this, as it is just the feature of the firewall working as it should. However, you may be able to get around the problem by entering a certain port number in AIM's File Transfer preferences. You will need to ask your network administrator if there is such a port that will allow AIM file transfer to work (there may not be).

Also, make sure that you both have the latest version of AIM.

Originally posted by petrol

Are you running your own firewall?

I use Tiny Personal Firewall ( http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny?s=7676834922350876610A2&pg=download ) and have had no problems. It's free for home use and I like its flexibility and easae of use.

I dont know dude...

I have RCN cable..

I networked the apartment through a Linksys Cable router...

Thats all I know =)

Some people I can FTP on, some people I cant (through AIM)

Originally posted by crystalmethod

Occasionally one has difficulty file sharing through the FTP feature that AIM has due to some cheesy firewall stuff.

I recall that one time, someone had posted an answer to this method, using a port number in the file sharing preference of AIM. Was it a universal #, and does anyone know what it is?

-Steve

It all depends if you are Firewalled and what post you are using to let files through. by default aol IM uses port 5190. Right now you are probably fine because you said it was intermitent. It also depends on if you have another FTP client open at the same time. You might experience some problems if you are downloading mp3's from say winMX or ag. FTP's get PMS when they share ports. if you are still having problems Im me and i'll try to walk you through it.