Clubplanet Nightlife Community

which 3 djs have influenced you the most?

weyes

all right, that's a broad question, so i shall clarify :book: :

i'm not asking about which djs you like best, or who you listen to the most, or who you'd want to father your/bear your children :D . i wanna know who's had the biggest impact on your life; i'm getting spiritual here and whatnot. with whom do you connect on some level you can't define? isn't that what it's all about, after all?

'k, i'll start :) .

1. space girl - although she doesn't spin - but she plays the same circuit, so she counts. she freed me on the dancefloor. she's the one who made me lose my inhibitions. she changed my life by making me know i didn't need anything but myself. (took me a while, and i learned it through dancing!)

2. paul van dyk. so complex, and with such smooth transitions... the same tracks still blow my mind every time. "out there and back," disc 1 - what a great soundtrack on repeat in my discman for my days and nights in nyc. shutting out the shit so i'd have something to dance to on the subway platforms :spin2: .

3. _________. i'm still not sure. i need to have some house someone here, but i don't know who. i haven't really seen any one house dj enough times. i only saw deep dish once; they blew my mind, so they're up there. but paul johnson's got so much soul that i can't leave him out. we'll see, house djs. keep on spinning.

well? what about you? :)

are you KIDDING me? music and spirituality? what a load of crock!

i don't care who's playing. call me guido and cheeseball, but i go SOLELY to pick up chics. ESPECIALLY the scantily cladded ones. and i take off my shirt to show off my hard, prickly, hot and sweaty body.

:tongue:

Sorry can't pick just 3, so I nominate these 5:

Frankie Knuckles - The Man, The Godfather of House - For his seminal efforts that wrought the musical genre that would later be knowm simply as "HOUSE".

David Morales - An icon to this day.

Tony Humphries - A DJ of incredible silkiness in his live mixes, something all DJ's should should strive to achieve, he fathered the style that would later become known as "Jersey Garage". I have had the privilege of standing in the booth and watching him craft one after another seemless mixes of soulful house.

Paul Van Dyk - For in a single night crystalizing two years worth of records I had been collecting and were dispersed throughout my archives. The first time I heard him at Twilo was like a lifting of shutters from my eyes, making my future direction in terms of set design, ebb and flow, clear. Also for his position in many ways as the true global ambassador of the trance sound by championing that sound to receptive audiences across the globe and thereby making it more accepted to add this universal music in the sets of DJ's everywhere.

Carl Cox - The most gracious of DJ's, always ready and happy to interact with his fans. Carl's banging sets of techno edged house continue to delight legions world-wide. His Fact 1 LP continues to be part of my working collection, providing essential cuts like the Pump Panel's "Ego Acid"

so, paul van dyk has made all of our (thiskitten, laraver, and my) lists. is this because the man is so talented and/or because he has some universal appeal, or does it have something to do with his being so well-known...?

(i'll even admit that the first i heard of him was when he was featured - being heavily promoted - on the wall at virgin) :o

I have seen Paul 5 times, 3 in New York and 2 in Miami. Of the five times I saw him 2 of those nights he was truly exceptional, the other two he was good, but not great.

The reason I put him on my list was that the first time I saw him, at Twilo, he brought into focus a lot of music I had been hearing and collecting. The flow of his set and how he added tribal elements, breaks tech elements and then re-energized the room was truly something to watch. The crowd was feeding him energy and vice versa.

That is why I included him.

o, don't get me wrong - i wasn't challenging your choice of paul van dyk; he's awesome and i chose him too, after all. i'm just saying that his fame helps him to make more "top three" lists, just as dj slingnuts at someone's local lounge most likely won't be making anyone's list way across the country.

1 - Junior Vasquez/Danny Teneglia/Jonathan Peters(early early years) - ALL hold a place in my NYC/ music

experience memories - All the elaborate live shows at factory/arena, the drag queens - and those DJs on the

tables .......nights I will never forget.

2 - Rodger Sanchez - from back in the day NYC - house that you just felt all over, vocals, latin flavor etc etc

totally moved me.

3 - Kruder and Dorfmeister - most recently , seeing them live at coachella, got me more into drum and bass,

breaks, love the samples and remixes like depeche modes 'useless' for example. k & d do it for me.

:D