Clubplanet Nightlife Community

My friend Edgar V./ letter to Luis Puig

bdwgroove

Excellent letter Bruce. I agree with you on 80% of what you have said. Being on Edgar's side however makes you see this one sided. No matter how unbiased you try to be. One day you might be in a position where you are responsible for the life's of over 100 people and their families and you might just understand my side of this situation. I will try to clarify this one last time so that there is no doubt and you will not see me post on this subject ever again.

Lately the name Space has become a very valuable commodity. We are constantly being bombarded by promoters from all over the world. They tempt us with their offers of bigger and better festivals and clubs in far away lands. Of course the catch is always to use the name Space to draw in the crowds. They have even gone as far as trademarking our name and logo in various major cities in South America such as Venezuela and Colombia. South America does not respect US trademark rights. They (the promoters) take advantage of this situation. They hold raves and parties in obscure little cities and towns as well as large ones. To add validity to these events they use the name "CLUB SPACE." Not in small print but big and large as if it were a Club Space event. Such were the flyers that were used to market the event in which Edgar spun. But what would a Space event be without Space DJs and personnel? They can't buy the rights to use the name of the club so they buy the DJs in order to help validate their events. Who cares if these events are a piece of crap and do not represent what we at Space (over 100 employees) have worked so much to achieve? So what if the event sucks and it does not represent our life's work? Who cares if some kid dies at a "trivial" unsupervised Club Space rave in South America and Space gets the blame for it? So what if this helps to close Space down and my employees are out of jobs?

Guess who is responsible for having an answer to all these and many other questions? Guess who has to step up to the plate and deal with this shit? I could go on forever but I think you are beginning to get the point. The repercussions are endless.

If we entrust someone with the name Space and let them represent our livelihood and that of our families, we expect to be represented properly. If someone takes this trust in vain, they trample on who and what we are. Edgar new very well that these promoters were using our name without our consent. This event like all events was promoted months ahead. Flyers and promotions were made with Space and Edgar's names on it. This was hidden from us and not brought to our attention. If it would have been, Edgar knows very well we would not want any part of it. This by the way is not the first time this happens, we just recently fired one of our head promoters for doing "Space" events in Columbia. We have strict policies on dealing with these type of situations and all our residents and employees are very aware of them. Unauthorized usage of someone's name and brand are a piracy of that person's life. Perhaps someday you will experience it and you will have a different opinion.

In conclusion. I have been part of the nightclub industry for 26 years. I worked at every position including being a DJ for 15 years. I would never use the name of my employers to gain financially without their consent. If there was an event that I was contracted at that used the name of my employer without their consent, I would refuse to perform. I would not break that trust. I would turn around get on a plane and high tail it back home. These are my beliefs. It is what has gotten me this far. I believe in them strong enough to fire my best friend. Even if it kills me inside. Even if the whole world hates me for it. I will stand by my decision. I believe in it as much as I care to write and post in this forum. I write here because it is important to me what every person thinks and feels. If it weren't I would not go thru such great effort to create places where people can dance and be happy. It is the reason why I was a DJ and it is the reason why I exist.

This will be my last post concerning this matter. Time will decide where our relationship with Edgar takes us. For now I think I speak for both of us when I say leave us alone to deal with our situation. We never had a problem before and I am sure we will manage somehow.

Thank you for your post.

LP.

cliff20notes.jpg

:bigfinge: