Clubplanet Nightlife Community

CS/CE/engineering majors...

any of you get really annoyed when, come finals time, your friends are complaining about writing ten-page papers, memorizing 30 paintings and historical facts, organizing group presentations, and pretty much any useless bullshit that anyone else can do?

i just wish someone would tell some of these people to learn how to program "hello, world" in any language, or flick an "on" switch. something that has useful knowledge, and quit complaining to me like what they have to do is hard

haha that's so right. I was a CS major my until my 2nd semester when I had to take my first CS course. The first 2 courses are supposed to be hardest. I dropped that course. It was tooooo fucken hard. I didn't miss one class and always did the homework until it got to the point where I didn't know what the fuck was going on. I was totally lost. Nothing is as hard as CS.

Originally posted by deanna11

any of you get really annoyed when, come finals time, your friends are complaining about writing ten-page papers, memorizing 30 paintings and historical facts, organizing group presentations, and pretty much any useless bullshit that anyone else can do?

i just wish someone would tell some of these people to learn how to program "hello, world" in any language, or flick an "on" switch. something that has useful knowledge, and quit complaining to me like what they have to do is hard

or better yet...

excuse me miss art major lib. arts type...

can you design this Programmable Array Logic grid of fuses for me?

i just wish someone would tell some of these people to learn how to program "hello, world" in any language

Heh heh

I graduated with a useless Bachelors of Music degree and even I know how to program "hello, world", although, that is about the extent of my programming knowledge at this point. It's going slow, but I'm trying to teach myself and my little brother gave me his programming text books after he graduated. Hopefully I'll be able to program my own music software someday, or better yet, design my own PC game. :)

i just wish someone would tell some of these people to learn how to program "hello, world" in any language

public class Hello{

public static void main(String[] args){

System.out.println("Hello World");

}

}

Sincerely,

Econ Major:D :D:)

Originally posted by thehacker

or better yet...

that reminds me of a project we did at rutgers.... me and a friend bu an FPGA at the layout level (little yellow and green squares of doped silicon) - had 500,000 transistors all in all, and took 8 months :P

ps... no attitude or drama meant by my posts.... i was just tired of liberal arts students whining about intro to logic. CS is difficult in the beginning but then as you get on it gets much easier even though the projects get bigger. you learn to adapt and can pick up new concepts and languages much quicker. especially after taking computer architecture and compilers classes. when you're a freshman and you have to learn to use pointers then it is a really big deal. half of the people that didn't fail intro to cs dropped out and refused to take another computer class again.

peaz,

rob

We all have our own strengths and our own short-comings. I have a BFA and a Masters in Anthropology. I've had to produce 30 paintings... good paintings... in 16 weeks, I've had to memorize 200 pieces of art, why they matter and when/what/who. I've had to write numerous papers back to back.

Guys... ahem....

It all hard! Wake up.

That's why not everyone does it and not everyone goes to college.

Congratulations on the fact that you're doing well and thank you for learning the programming I wish I could learn. As it stands I'll be amazed with myself if I ever learn how to write a basic perl script to perform some as yet unknown function under linux.

No doubt I probably need to buy something you produce instead. And if you're looking to decorate your living room, maybe you'll come to appreciate the work your local artist put into that canvas you like.

so do ya think, maybe you dont need to demean the artists and english majors in order to communicate that programming aint easy?

It's about skill. Writing a game in assembler requires skill. Producing 30 good paintings in 16 weeks requires skill. 90% of college graduates don't have any skill in any area. All majors contribute to this 90%. But, it's easier to obtain a degree without obtaining any skill, say, in liberal arts, than it is in CS.

Originally posted by dzadza

It's about skill.

;;snip;;

But, it's easier to obtain a degree without obtaining any skill, say, in liberal arts, than it is in CS.

I disagree. Skill is also about what comes easiest to us. I don't have the kind of mind which adapts to long nights of coding and debugging. Others don't have the kind of mind which takes to producing a piece of visual art. Others still don't have the capacity to memorize facts and figures essential to comprehending the history of art.

Neither is easier if it isnt your forte. How can we say one is easier than another unlesss we've dont both, and even then what's easier for one is not for another.

I stand by my original observation... its all difficult. Medieval Art History was easily my most grueling course. But thats me.

Originally posted by thehacker

or better yet...

or better yet...

excuse me mister CS/CE/engineering type...

can you put onto canvas any concept that one may have in one's head, which, if done properly, would convey the feelings, emotions, and thoughts of the artist, using only certain media and conforming to a certain theme/style...for me?

Originally posted by petrol

I disagree. Skill is also about what comes easiest to us. I don't have the kind of mind which adapts to long nights of coding and debugging. Others don't have the kind of mind which takes to producing a piece of visual art. Others still don't have the capacity to memorize facts and figures essential to comprehending the history of art.

Neither is easier if it isnt your forte. How can we say one is easier than another unlesss we've dont both, and even then what's easier for one is not for another.

I stand by my original observation... its all difficult. Medieval Art History was easily my most grueling course. But thats me.

You interpreted my post the wrong way. I didn't say one is easier than the other. I said one is easier to go though college with a C+/B- GPA *avoiding* learning anything than the other.