Clubplanet Nightlife Community

????

chynado11

Do I think it will change? Of course - I expect it will evolve and become a very different beast from the one we know today. Just check out the difference between old skool Chicago House and what we're listening to now!

But, I think I disagree with some on the board about whether or not becoming more mainstream is bad for this genre of music. I'm mainstream and my world has been completely changed by this type of music and scene. Who are we to deny that possibility to someone else? I mean, we can make fun of "fairy trance" all we want - but that's what got me hooked. Oakenfold was a beginning for me.

At any rate, there will always be an underground sound too complicated to be understood by the masses, so those interested in excluding those not intelligent enough to understand the music needn't worry. Personally, I hope everyone gets to hear a set like Danny Howell's played on Labor Day at least once in their lives. Even the ones who will never understand what it means.

My .02 for what it is worth!

:)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the complaint w/ mainstream (for me at least) is the dumbing down factor, just the oversaturation and the inevitable corporateness that comes w/ being mainstream and then everyone jumping ont the wagon because something just because it is popular and trendy.

i am outta 2 cents for the night...time to get my smoke on

cheers

when u look at music...esp the underground scene...what really got you into the underground, what got me into it was that it was different the vibe was a cool relaxed one compared to that of hip hop was more like ass grabbing and booty shaking...being disrespected by men,i mean there are men like that everywhere, but my point is that the overall energy i felt coincided with what i wanted to be a part of, every one for the most part was one with the music, and the underground scene is also very different which caught my attention even more with getting to be more involved..i still got to listen to funky style music, ex hip hop through drum and bass and still be involved in the enviroment that sucked me in...does anyone else feel this way...i know this is off from the music evolving but it has because it has the style of hip hop integrated into forms of jungle , dnb and breaks

and on the pop side of things you have remixes of old skool songs when you were a kid..like depeche mode's feel love deep dish mix, or dt's remix of i feel stereo, but i think that he combines to records together for that one, just the pleasure of hearing the talent of a dj turn a slow song or a song period into a marathonic, ass-shaking, get down on the floor , tore up from the floor up track!!! i love this scene

get back at me

:bounce:

cd

I was just thinkin' about this on the drive to work, and what I realize is that this musis might never become mainstream and the only reason it probably wont is that no radio station will want to put a 3hr or 4 or 5 hr continous set mixed by any DJ with out commercial interruption.

I'll go back to my love for soccer, one of the big reasons its not big here in the US is that TV stations do not want to go 45 straight minutes without commercial interruption, where as the oter sports that are popular here (basketball, baseball, football, hockey, golf) have built in Tv breaks or constant stops for TV stations to put the ads in, that is the way they generate their $$$, radio stations work the same way. It s easier to put 1 Nsync song, 1 Britney song and then take a 5 minute commercial break, 4 or 5 minutes of silly ass comments and then another 2 or 3 songs abefore breaking for commercials.

Electronic or whatever we choose to call all of this that we listen to, is simply not built for that as a commercial break would, in essence, take away the building up of the set, some transitions between tracks, and I suppose other stuff.....

Electronic dance music won't die out because if it did what would they play in the clubs for people to dance to? I love electronic music and I listen to it all the time, but the fact remains that the primary reason for the music we're talking about existing is to be music for people to dance to. It has and will continue to change, evolve, maybe devolve at some point but it's not going anywhere. And I agree with Malanee that there's always going to be something out there that just is too different for the masses. For some reason it seems like techno's the stuff that just doesn't have the mass appeal right now which I don't quite understandb.

Oh, and I relate to what you're saying about this scene vs. the hip-hop scene, Chynado11. I was a hip-hop head from waaaaaayback and when I found this scene the vibe was just so different and so wonderful I was shocked. And the music was fucking wild (and mixed with perfection).

Originally posted by sillyrabbit

I don't think the complaint w/ mainstream (for me at least) is the dumbing down factor, just the oversaturation and the inevitable corporateness that comes w/ being mainstream and then everyone jumping ont the wagon because something just because it is popular and trendy.

i am outta 2 cents for the night...time to get my smoke on

cheers

You nailed it on the head. The dumbing down factor becomes the key when you get something in the mainstream. Then, it becomes mass produced. Why do I hate Oakie so much? Or Fairy Corsten? Cause it's the same formulaic shit over and over. In the commercial world, look at the whole boy band thing. Look at how many carbon copies there are. Listen to two Fairy Corsten songs back to back. I bet I can predict with some accuracy what'll happen. Some sort of arpeggiated chord progression. A long extended organ synth sound. A huge breakdown. A drumroll coming in out of the breakdown. It gets tiresome after a while. To the point where I refuse to listen to it or even let anyone around me listen to it, cause it actually really does begin to just grind on me and get me pissed off.

But that's what I love about electronic dance music as a whole. You've got variety. And it's always evolving. There's nothing wrong with fluffy, as long as it's original. And it seems like these days there's a lot of experimentation with a combination of fluffy and darker sounds. Wish You Were Here manages to combine the fluffy flutey synth lines with some evil tribal sounds. I think that's the direction we're gonna see at least the Progressive trend head. Some combination of sounds. Either housey elements or trancey elements, blended with tribal sounds or the deeper, rolling progressive sounds. Maybe even throw some space age D&B sounds in for good measure. Cause I don't know if you can ever go totally back to where you came from. The sound is cyclical, but not a perfect circle. I think it's more like a spiral. Meaning, it takes elements from previous phases, but it's not quite the same cause it evolves, learning from the past as it moves forward.

Techno, I have no idea. My personal reason for not liking it more is that I can't listen to hours of it at a time. I like some tunes, but sometimes I need something more melodic to change things up.

D&B, you've already got two completely opposite spectrums. The jazzy, atmospheric style that Bukem spins and the more aggressive, in your face style that the American DJ's like Dieslboy spin. D&B heads seem to have a bit of a chip on their shoulder, so I think the aggressive style will be around for a while.

House will always be around, I think. It seems to be a timeless sound. But it'll probably get to the point where House and Progressive will be nearly indistinguishable. There already are a lot of crossover tracks. Sounds Progressive. Sounds House. But can't pinpoint which it is.

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

the

House will always be around, I think. It seems to be a timeless sound. But it'll probably get to the point where House and Progressive will be nearly indistinguishable. There already are a lot of crossover tracks. Sounds Progressive. Sounds House. But can't pinpoint which it is.

house is where it began in chicago...so yeah i think thats always gonna be around...when it sounds house and you cant pinpoint it thats what i said u call gray area music..then of course you have the tribal beats which would be the dark and deep hard sound..also...sasha , diggers and even paul oakenfold was spinning that stuff...even jungle dj soulslinger was at limelight...i know there are more people out there that have something to say lets hear it..this a clubplanet message board..

cd

Originally posted by vicman

im falling asleep........i had to much dessert to eat......:zzz: :zzz:

Me too...another holiday party here! :D:D:D

I first got into the scene with Oakenfold, and those cheesy synth melodies are what got me hooked. The day after I went for my first S&D and I didn't like them as much as Oakey, just coz I thought Oakey's music was more "beautiful". BUt, slowly (or not so slowly), my preferences changed and S&D became number one. My tastes are constantly evolving toward the harder/faster sounds (eg, techno and psy trance), and so when I went to see S&D at Ciprianis (after a one year hiatus), my expectations were not that high (at Twilo, they were very good, but never really BANGED it out). However, I was pleasantly surprised to see their styles had also evolved slightly - they didn't concentrate on the warm-up so much and really played HARD most of the night. Or maybe that was just a one-time deal since they hadn't been back to NYC in a while.

I think next thursday will be a good test.

Originally posted by raver_mania

However, I was pleasantly surprised to see their styles had also evolved slightly - they didn't concentrate on the warm-up so much and really played HARD most of the night. Or maybe that was just a one-time deal since they hadn't been back to NYC in a while.

I think next thursday will be a good test.

Don't forget that the DJ's mood as well as the crowd's mood play a factor in how they play. So it may not necessarily be their style, but more what they're feeling that night.

Don't forget that the DJ's mood as well as the crowd's mood play a factor in how they play. So it may not necessarily be their style, but more what they're feeling that night.

True dat!

BTW, I just heard that Sasha is supposed to play from 1 - 6am?!?! WOw, fuckin, yeeeaah!!!

Originally posted by raver_mania

True dat!

BTW, I just heard that Sasha is supposed to play from 1 - 6am?!?! WOw, fuckin, yeeeaah!!!

Oh yeah. I got the e-mail this morning. This is gonna be one nice winter holiday. I'm taking two weeks of vacation starting Monday, so that means day after Sasha, I will be roaming the streets of DC cracked out and scaring all the corporate stiffs during their morning commutes into the office. Lookin' forward to that.

Oh yeah. I got the e-mail this morning. This is gonna be one nice winter holiday. I'm taking two weeks of vacation starting Monday, so that means day after Sasha, I will be roaming the streets of DC cracked out and scaring all the corporate stiffs during their morning commutes into the office. Lookin' forward to that.

well drop you off in front of the capitol soyou can scare the tourists also

well anyone spot me some $$ for sasha HAHAHA

cd

Don't even tell me you're gonna miss cause of money. Don't eat lunch for the next week. That'll save up enough for a ticket.

shady ur loaded, in fact u swim in ca$h, and the fact that ur chynado11s bitch, y dontcha git her the tix? :D :D :D

welllllll....christmas and the holidays have hurt me...i hate to admit it but i really dont have extra cash like that to throw around...im going to nyc too and just registered for the WMC..so..im broke ..but naw im not asking for charity it was a joke..

haha but shady u can still be my bitch :grin:

cd

Originally posted by chynado11

welllllll....christmas and the holidays have hurt me...i hate to admit it but i really dont have extra cash like that to throw around...im going to nyc too and just registered for the WMC..so..im broke ..but naw im not asking for charity it was a joke..

haha but shady u can still be my bitch :grin:

cd

But the question still remains: ARE YOU GOING TO SASHA???