Clubplanet Nightlife Community

harddrive problem (2)

petedrags

okay, on my first post(harddrive problem 1)...i asked you guys if you could help me cuz my shit was fucked up...woudln't let me write on the disc, missing sectors that shit...well now i fixed the problem last night(i scanned my messed up drive for errors and recovery of bad sectors)...it was all fixed...well bout' 5 min afta that...i looked to see how much room i had left on the now fixed drive...before is said 48.8 gigs left...8.96 used...well now it says 34.1 gigs used...20.3 left...how IN THE FUCK DID THAT HAPPEN...any takers?????...thanks ahead

. . Bad sectors are just that, bad sectors . . for some reason the Drive heads cannot read nor write to the sectors in question, so after cleaning it, the computer probably discounted the number of available tracks in order to avoid writing to the bad ones . .

I really do suggest that you go out and get another new drive to hold all of your critical software and use that one to store files on. . cause once you get bad sectors, they have a tendency to multiply . .

.. . also (so I can give you a more complete answer), tell me what you used to scan the drive . .

. . Sometimes, and I stress SOMETIMES, a low level format of the drive can help. . this is a hit an miss situation, and if you miss, it can fry the drive perfectly . . but just give me the info on the scanning software and I maybe can cook you up a better option.

Originally posted by phuturephunk

.. . also (so I can give you a more complete answer), tell me what you used to scan the drive . .

. . Sometimes, and I stress SOMETIMES, a low level format of the drive can help. . this is a hit an miss situation, and if you miss, it can fry the drive perfectly . . but just give me the info on the scanning software and I maybe can cook you up a better option.

what kinda format is low level format and how do u do it?? ive never tried it b4, i do a regular format (take windows out then put it back in...)

my first problem was that i can't write to the disc...meaning the hard drive...it's a cd inside da damn ting...and phuturephunk what do you mean by what type of scan...and phuture if i backup my hard drive(i can write to cd's...and if i have too it'll take like 3 10 packs)...could i reformat the drive and recover the bad sectors...assuming that what you said is true about discounting the bad sectors...i still have to wait a few weeks to do it though if i decide too...this guy who helped me with everyting on my comp(harddrives, cd burners etc...)no offense to you phuturephunk the guy i'm talking about works for a company that makes hard drives for other companies...he just made a multiple peribyte server for another company(it goes byte, megabyte, gigabyte, terabyte, peribyte...) what he says to do i'm gonna do...but tanks...i was hoping for someone to say hey just go here, then there, then there, and it's all fixed...none of this reformatting shits...lata...pe@ce...

with my very limited knowledge of computer hardware, i believe that reformatting your hard drive not only removes EVERYTHING, but it corrects any bad sectors and errors and stuff.....i usually reformat the whole thing every 6 months or so, its a bitch to re-install windows and everything, but the puter loves it and runs so much faster without all the buggy shit thats been building up over time

Originally posted by pipdaddy

with my very limited knowledge of computer hardware, i believe that reformatting your hard drive not only removes EVERYTHING, but it corrects any bad sectors and errors and stuff.....i usually reformat the whole thing every 6 months or so, its a bitch to re-install windows and everything, but the puter loves it and runs so much faster without all the buggy shit thats been building up over time

yea i had to do that shit....fucking suck ass...i had to recover my whole system and reinstall everything and then call hp back to get the product number....what a headache....