Clubplanet Nightlife Community

dj related

chynado11

who agrees with all the technology being offered to djs or regular people..on mixing or spinning..i agree to an extent but are machines eventually going to take over someone learning the good ole fashioned way of djing and being a TRUE dj??

djs are now looking at computers on their set and other stuff .. i mean ok if i know the dj knows how to actual spin then i guess its ok but those they really have no talent doing it ..but they are doing it cuz they have their laptop gimme a fawking break here!!!!

:bounce:

cd

Originally posted by chynado11

who agrees with all the technology being offered to djs or regular people..on mixing or spinning..i agree to an extent but are machines eventually going to take over someone learning the good ole fashioned way of djing and being a TRUE dj??

djs are now looking at computers on their set and other stuff .. i mean ok if i know the dj knows how to actual spin then i guess its ok but those they really have no talent doing it ..but they are doing it cuz they have their laptop gimme a fawking break here!!!!

cd

No matter what the equipment, it still takes the same set of skills - rhythm, coordination, musical aptitude, everything.

I don't think technology will ever replace the simple world of vinyl and turntables. It will only supplement them. At least until the current generation of DJ's gets old and retires. But I'm telling you, DJ's are VERY attached to vinyl as a medium. It just carries a certain mystique. Having this big old clumsy platter that only really holds one song.

There was an article in some magazine about this exact topic. And every DJ they interviewed said the same thing. Sure, CD's are cool and they may be the wave of the future or whatever, as well as other technologies like MP3's, but they'll have to pry the vinyl out of my hands before they can force me to spin solely on those media.

Originally posted by Kuro

I have yet to hear of anyone playing live and using a computer to beatmatch tracks stored on a computer.

www.pcdj.com

An MP3 turntable for your computer. Brings up an interface that looks a lot like CD decks. You can adjust the pitch using the pitch slider. Match the beats just like you would vinyl or a CD. You can cue it up just like on a CD deck. All you have to do to spin MP3's live is plug your computer's sound card into one of the Line inputs on your mixer, assign it to a channel, and voila.

it seems to me that the technology is really empowering as it permits novices to explore creatively with music while not making a large capital investment.

with the computer you already have, the internet connection you already have, the time you already have, and the purchase of mixing software, a novice can feel the exhiliration of djing for less than $100.

that's an amazing thing. the technology opens up the music community, expands the dialogue, and brings more people to appreciate what others do.

i think it's really an amazing thing and i wonder why there is a rush to classify. certainly those that use vinyl and turntables have talent and skill, but those that use technology also have talent and skill. i guess you can't rush to assume that someone who uses technology is skilled, instead observing what they do and the source of the creativity.

just a thought.

out,

judson

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

www.pcdj.com

An MP3 turntable for your computer. Brings up an interface that looks a lot like CD decks. You can adjust the pitch using the pitch slider. Match the beats just like you would vinyl or a CD. You can cue it up just like on a CD deck. All you have to do to spin MP3's live is plug your computer's sound card into one of the Line inputs on your mixer, assign it to a channel, and voila.

But does anyone actually do this playing live? The only people I know of taking laptops to gigs are the ones using final scratch, which still uses plates on turntables cuz it just feels good to have your hands on some decks.

Originally posted by Kuro

But does anyone actually do this playing live? The only people I know of taking laptops to gigs are the ones using final scratch, which still uses plates on turntables cuz it just feels good to have your hands on some decks.

Go to Xpander: http://www.xpander.nl/index.htm.

Check the story in the right hand column. Scroll near the bottom. John Aquaviva was spinning some MP3's off his laptop at a party in addition to vinyl and CD's.

He was probably using software similar to PCDJ.

interesting but yeah there are djs that bring the shit up in teh booth with them..i couldnt believe it no names mentioned..but i didnt see the other posts..sorry..and shady you must know alot about this..giving out links and stuff..could u be like that tooo...jk..:)

cd

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

Go to Xpander: http://www.xpander.nl/index.htm.

Check the story in the right hand column. Scroll near the bottom. John Aquaviva was spinning some MP3's off his laptop at a party in addition to vinyl and CD's.

He was probably using software similar to PCDJ.

Acquaviva, along with Richie Hawtin, was one of the people test driving the final scratch system. It plays files off a laptop but uses plates that are actually on turntables. When Hawtin and Acquaviva came to Buzz in July I got to see them using it (from a distance).

hmm what i ment by speedin up there scratches. (if ya didnt understad my smokedoutness..) on there mix CD's ... or tapes .. make a simple scratch and walla layer it over the track 20 times faster then it should be hahah and eh that just makes me mad!!!