Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Favorite Song to Drown Your Sorrows? (or why country makes me cry)

I just went through my CD collection and so have been re-listening to some of my non-electronica faves. Listening to Cornershop's great "When I was born for the 7th time..." I found my old favorite "drown my sorrows in a pint and a game of darts" song, On the Road Back Home Again. THis song is so good it makes me want MORE blues to drink to. And while Cornershop is a fuckin long shot from country (more like indian/brit/electric/hip-hop flavored pop) this song has that special twang, and I wonder if there isn't somethin innate in country that makes us cry, or if crying makes us want some of the country twang.....no trance song ever made me want to lean over the bar and tell the bartender my life story.

Another example if Beck's Mutations...a total departure from Odelay, the whole album screams to be the soundtrack to a film set entirely in a pub, with sad, longing characters spilling their hearts and tearing up into their pints.....also very country/folk influenced.

So what about you guys, anybody else have their own drinking-to-forget theme song?

Originally posted by saigray

I just went through my CD collection and so have been re-listening to some of my non-electronica faves. Listening to Cornershop's great "When I was born for the 7th time..." I found my old favorite "drown my sorrows in a pint and a game of darts" song, On the Road Back Home Again. THis song is so good it makes me want MORE blues to drink to. And while Cornershop is a fuckin long shot from country (more like indian/brit/electric/hip-hop flavored pop) this song has that special twang, and I wonder if there isn't somethin innate in country that makes us cry, or if crying makes us want some of the country twang.....no trance song ever made me want to lean over the bar and tell the bartender my life story.

Another example if Beck's Mutations...a total departure from Odelay, the whole album screams to be the soundtrack to a film set entirely in a pub, with sad, longing characters spilling their hearts and tearing up into their pints.....also very country/folk influenced.

So what about you guys, anybody else have their own drinking-to-forget theme song?

country makes me cry due to sheer irritation......:tongue:

In actuality, there's a couple of trance tracks that makes me want to do the uber-contemplation thing (that's why i love it in the first place.)

But I've oh-so-many tracks for times like that.....short list...

Pantera - Planet Caravan (Ozzy remake too! *thumbs up*)

Andrea Bocelli - Sogno

Bent - Swollen

A Walk in Belfast (I believe it's by the Dublin youth Harp Orchestra? Gotta check the name)

Bedrock - Beautiul Strange

Sasha - Xpander (LIKE YOU COULDN'T TELL)

Karsh Kale - Longing

Fable - Song for a Siren

Stage One - Space *****uvres

Massive Attack - Unfinished Symphony

Massive Attack - (the whole) Mezzanine (album)

Andreas Johnson - Glorious (Hybrid Remix)

Mandalay - Like Her

Mandalay - Beautiful (7' uncanny mix)

Tilt - I dream

LSG - Jillianity

Orbital - Out There Somewhere? (pt. 2)

Orbital - Adnan's

Orbital - Halcyon + on + on

James Holden - Horizons

James Holden - First Light

SOOOOO GOOOOODDDD......

sigh.....gotta go back and rip through my CD collection again......

I don't necessarily have a certain song.... I kinda just put something Hard on in my car and just drive..... nothing like blowing through empty country roads with the windows down, system up, letting the engine do all the yelling for you......