Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Please help Memorial Day

djfrosty

Last Memorial Day there was a Hip Hop festival in South Beach. From what I hear from friends, it wasn't exactly the best time to be on the beach. The point of this thread is I am planning a bachelor party around the same time. Does anybody know if this festival is coming to Miami again? I would like to avoid that weekend if possible.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Frosty

Never mind I think I found the answer on my own. Definitely planning it the weekend before. Fuck that, see below.

THE 3RD ANNUAL MIAMI BEACH MEMORIAL DAY BLACK BEACH BASH

Place: Miami,Florida (South Beach)

Date: May 23 - 27

Comments: In 2000, there were 20,000 participants who witnessed the magic of South Beach on Memorial Day Weekend. In 2001, word spread as over 250,000 participants came to the party making it the fastest growing beach party of all time. The year 2002 promises to turn Miami into the party capital of the world.

The city of Miami Beach, can blame themselves; for the fiasco of this past Memorial Day. poor planning, and greed. At some point, perhaps we as community can stop tagging participants in these events. And with that, will come the realization; that we are all here to have fun, while maintaining respect for our fellow citizens and the law. THE 3RD ANNUAL MIAMI BEACH MEMORIAL DAY BLACK BEACH BASH. Will put Miami and Miami Beach in the spotlight once again; hopefully we are wiser this time around.

I blame both the city and the participants for that fiasco. Even my lowly Ford was subject to vandalism as I tried to ease my way onto 5th st near Cristal.

People got rowdy, the city immediately hauled them away, and their buddies got all pissed and decided to trash the place...

The city had it right for The Source Awards though. Excluding a few minor incidents, the whole event went off smoothly. Apply that planning to the Memorial day festival and it's all good...

As for your party Frosty, I'd leave it on Memorial day weekend, only because it's a long weekend. I think it may just be alright.

Okay, I believe the participants contributed to the fiasco. But, it is the city that should truly be held accountable. The Hotel and Motel Association and Convention Bureau, warned city official's months before Memorial Day Weekend, that the occupancy rate at Beach Hotels was already at over 85%. Had the city put a plan in motion, at that time. Some of the incidents of mayhem, would have been reduced. When you have over 250,000 people (the number of people, the city claimed were on the beach that weekend) in one area.You are inevitably, going to have some problems. People were not instantaneously hauled away; until things had already grown out control. Again, things were allowed to reach a critical stage; do to improper planning.

The best thing to come from the Memorial Day incidents was the "Major Events Plan", enacted by the City of Miami Beach. The plan was put in place for the Source Awards. Will be used for New Years Eve this year, and any other event on the beach, were there is anticipation of large crowds of people.

Imo, we as community should try to make "everyone" feel welcome. While insuring their safety and well being; as well as ours.