Clubplanet Nightlife Community

digital camaras

kludgio

those of you who are ahead of me in technology, what's good?

brand: Nikon, Kodak, Olympus, Canon?

megapixels: much useful difference between 2.1 and 3.3?

optical zoom: 3x good enough?

any recommendations for specific models?

what other features have you found particularly useful for average/everyday use, and possibly some amateur digital photography?

thanks in advance :)

Sony.....I have the Mavica FD73 from 3 years ago. It stores images on 3.5" 2HD floppy disks with lots of features: 2x Quick access floppy disk drive, 10x optical zoom lens, 2.5"LCD Color monitor with 84k pixels, 4-Mode program auto exposure, 4 picture effects, 320x240 E_mail picture size, etc. Check out their newer models also with megapixels, or memory stick....I think the floppy ones are the best....

-=*TrancEdkittEn*=-

=^..^=

All depends on how much you're willing to spend. If money is no object go for the Nikon Coolpix 990 or the Canon G1 Powershot. I have the Canon Powershot S110, it's a midrange 2.1 megapixel model, I paid about $420 not including rebate. Great camera and very small and sturdy--built like a tank and it can fit into a shirt pocket. It uses compactflash cards to store pictures. With a 128mb card (best place to buy these cards cheap is Ebay) you can take around 250 pictures at 1600x1200 resolution.

Also, optical zoom comes at a premium. The higher the optical zoom, the higher you can expect to pay. The s110 has 2x optical zoom and up to 5x digital zoom. Again, it all depends on what you're looking for If you're just a casual photographer (just taking pictures of friends and family etc.), a 2.1 megapixel camera with 2-8x zoom should be enough. I took the attached picture with the camera. It really doesn't reflect the quality of the picture because I shrunk it from 1600x1200 to about 600x480, so many pixels were lost in between, but it just gives you an idea of how pictures come out on this camera.

thanks, you guys

deeprock, you really know your stuff. that's a great picture also. i guess 2.1 Mpixels is definitely good enough for my purposes because i don't intend to send 8x11'' photos online, plus i never print those out. money is of concern, but these camaras are presents from my brother, so i think i'm getting the same as your Elph S110 for myself, and maybe the S30 for home. it looks like if you go up in price, you're just paying for extravagant Mpixels which you'd never use. the CD and floppy camaras seem to be expensive just for the memory, but i guess those are convenient for some people's purposes

in the lower ranges, the Sony's, in my opinion are the best; but if you are looking for more expensive stuff (over $500) stick to Nikkon, they are definitely the best out there.

difference between 1.3 and 2.1 is significant, but between 2.1 and 3.3 is less noticeable (at least it seems so to me). i agree that 2.1 is enough for casual home photography.

the cool thing about te Sony's is they can come with really good batteries, and they are loaded with more features and better zoom usually. personally, if you want something in the few hundred dollar range, go for te DSC-P50, its a 2.1 megapixel.

i used to have a website that sold digital cameras, but i've thrown in the towel since then

Been having this camera for 8 months. I love it! 6.0 million pixel file, 3.3 million sensor super ccd, 3x optical, 4.4x smooth digital, on a 128 mb card can shoot video up to 2 minutes. Fits in your pocket! Very compact and you can upload your pics to your computer in seconds! F-A Porsche designed the camera

Look at this pic!

Originally posted by Anesh69

Been having this camera for 8 months. I love it! 6.0 million pixel file, 3.3 million sensor super ccd, 3x optical, 4.4x smooth digital, on a 128 mb card can shoot video up to 2 minutes. Fits in your pocket! Very compact and you can upload your pics to your computer in seconds! F-A Porsche designed the camera

Look at this pic!

wow that's a really sharp picture!

Originally posted by hottienotte

I was gonna pick up the S110..but I went for the S300...i found it for $400 so how could I not pick it up...plus you can record short movie clips with it...a digital camera, plus digital mini-camcorder in one...not bad...picture quality is great....2.1 mega pixels....small, compact, sturdy...id recommend this one over the s110..spend the little extra money if you have too...itll be worth it

obviously it's not worth it because you can't tell the difference. the S110 has all the features you described, including the 2.1 Mpixels. the S300 has 3.1 Mpixels