Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Any advice?

Rina900

What's the deal people?? I need advice... anyone here make the move from NYC/NJ area over to Miami?? I'm thinking about moving (maybe in the 4-6 month range), and I want to know what obstacles you had to face, how's the job market, was it easy meeting people, etc. OH and by the way, I have been to Miami b4. You Miami people are welcome to give me some advice too. Thanks =)

well, i didn't move from NYC but i did move from up north (detroit) back in 1994 so...

as far as the job market goes it's pretty much hit or miss IMO. things run around session down here so if you come out of session it's much harder to find a job then it is in session. this year it has been a bit diffrent though because of the

economy(sp?).

as for meeting people, that all depends on what type of person you are. if you're out going then it'll be easier for you. but miami is VERY clicky. everyone has their own little group and sometimes it can be really hard to break in to those groups. all you really have to do though is meet 2 or 3 people and you're set. cause those 2 or 3 people will intro. you to all the rest. if you stay on this board, you'll make plenty of friends before you even get here. then all you have to do is meet up with us at one of our clubplanet meet ups at a club, intro. yourself and you're set! most of the people one here are really cool people! i've met quite a few and don't have any complants yet so...

what do you want to go to school for? we have UM, various art institutes, BCC, FIU, FAU etc...you can pretty much find a school that will meet your needs! we have more then enough of them.

anyway, keep in touch and we'll help you out as much as we can ok.

have a HAPPY NEW YEAR, be safe and see you sometime next year (maybe/hopefully) :)

Well, I can answer this one, being a UM grad, and knowing a lot of people over at FIU.

UM has a lot more prestige, and will open doors for you that FIU cannot. You pay for it though, UM is close to, if not, above 30K a year now. I'm in so much fucking debt. UM also has a far better faculty, and facilities as well.

If your goal is to just get to Miami and get a basic university education, go FIU.

As for the dorm issue....the dorms at UM are hit or miss. Some have semi-private bathrooms and are not too bad. Some are the typical communal bullshit and not worth living in. Little factoid: The tower dorms were designed by an architecht who's previous projects were state prisons. Of course, they all have full-time internet access (switched 100 to multiple OC-3s on the UUNET backbone...transparent Internet2 access as well...) and free local phone and cable..

I lived in the dorms bascially cause I worked on campus, and it was bloody convenient.

The FIU dorms are shite, and not worth living in...

on that i would say UM is def. better but FIU would be the easier to get into. and cheeper to. maybe go to FIU to get your basics out of the way then trasfer to UM for you degree courses. alot of people do that.

i'm not sure about the dorming though as i've never really been to the dorms at either UM or FIU. me personally, i like to have my own space so i'd rather live off campus in an apartment or something. i don't mind having a roommate but dorms are really small and with 2 people it's kinda a tight fit. you don't get much private space or time.

if you have the money then i'd go for the apartment. if not then i guess you don't have much of a choice do you :)

i'm in the graphic arts field rina. i was going to the art institute of fort lauderdale but it was toooooo expencive for what you got (it's a long storymaybe i'll tell it to you sometime if we ever meet).

i'm now going to BCC. it's cheeper and you can do alot more with your degree.

rina... i go to um... major in architecture and minor in business. as of where you choose to go to i could only tell you about um or fiu (because i know plenty of people who go to fiu as well). if you're going to study business, go to fiu. it's much less expensive and has a better business school as well (or so i believe). the dorms in fiu are WAY better than the dorms at um. the smallest dorm at fiu is bigger than the biggest at um. i do like going to um better, but then again that would probably be a biased opinion and would think differently if i went to fiu. hope that helps... marcos.