Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Responsibility for Parties

in light of ruined new years parties and other past events, who would you say is responsible for what aspects of a party?

i think:

- when promoting a party, promoters should always say WHO is throwing the party, and have contact info readily available

- patrons should not trust promotional flyers, message boards, and word of mouth. they should verify either through call or printed documentation (can be flyers) from the persons throwing the party: NOT the promoters

- we all need to have better communication with each other. most people don't mean to shorthand anyone, but the few who do use everyone below them in the hierarchy tree, and that leaves many people pissed off at the person who they had contact with

many people recently had problems with another party a month or so ago, the people promoting it, and the people who threw it. fingers were pointed everywhere. ultimately, the promoters may not have been responsible for things gone wrong, but their reputations are tarnished because they misinformed, misguided, deceived, or withheld warranted information from the exact people who supported them

i'm not pointing fingers at ANYONE here. i have some great friends in various positions in the industry and it's obvious that everyone gets more jerking around than they deserve. i'm just wondering what do other people think about who is responsible for what

Can you be a little more specific here as to what went wrong? Sorry, I'm a lil' lost as to what the party was and what went down.

It's my personal opinion that the promoters should be trustworthy with regards to information about the party and the persons throwing it. Like, if someone asks me who is spinning and how much cover is, I'm not gonna say it's Danny Tenaglia for $5 when it's actually Joe Baggadonuts for $30. I think most promoters are pretty up front about that stuff, the only time when it was any different for me was when I was promoting a party with Taucher as the guest DJ and he didn't show for one reason or another (supposedly he was sick but I am not sure I believe that, another story...). And that kind of thing is even beyond the control of those throwing the party. Where you have to be careful with the promoters is if they're telling you they're going to get you comps, major reductions in cover, whatever whatever that has any possibility of being too good to be true bc he or she doesn't have the pull to make it happen but thinks he/she does. And with that kept in mind and some extra cash in hand in case things don't work out, I think everything should be okay. However, no matter how much information you give a promoter, one or two at least are gonna be dishonest about it, misinform people on purpose, that happens, but the ones like that aren't gonna be responsible or give you the contact info of the head promoter 'cause then you're probably going to end up on that person's list instead of their own.