Clubplanet Nightlife Community

club hoppin across US/ (serious thought)

gabesta9

So whats out there? for a jaded ex-raver such as me? with the rave/ club scene in socal vitually fading (well we corrupted it ourselves, how sad~thats why world class dj's mock our socal scene), major clubs/ massives, you name it, been there done that. Is the party spirit in other cities really that different? Say if were to take a month long trip across the nation, sometime in march 02', in search of that perfect fresh vibe, what kinda driving route should i take from LA to NY (coast to coast)? I hear the norcal/ bay area scene has got a good vibe/ high energy but i've never gone there myself. how about vegas, club utopia? any good events coming up in houston, austin, TX area? i hear the scene is flowin w/ ravers overthere now. Utah perhaps, detriot techno, or what about the house scene in chicago? ATL, and the breakbeats in miami. Do they still have the legendary club twilo in NYC or did they close that shit down already? club buzz in washington? etc..etc..etc..

~ :confused:

i like to look at it as a vision quest, kinda what real promoters do for a livin ( well the truth is, i'm getting laid off of work). but anywho, please post suggestions on venues or events that we freakin etards in LA probably don't know anything about. and i'm seriously considering travelling too, anyone wanna head up w/ me? :letsgo:

whew - broad question - let me see if i can answer this without babbling (yeah, right ;) ).

i'm from new york originally but started my partying days when i came out to l.a. for college. i then moved back to nyc at the age of 21, then back again to l.a. at 23.

i was a raver during my college years and went to both legal and underground parties. i had my share of problems with the underground ones: the cops sometimes had shut down the party after we'd paid for our map but before we'd gotten to the party, the cops would make kids drive home when they were fucked up out of their heads, djs wouldn't show up, other partiers wouldn't show up, all kinds of wack shit would go down because it was unpredictable. but there were lots of good ones, too, and the legal ones were fun when there wasn't any bullshit. overall, the whole scene was pretty good and the vibes were always positive and friendly.

then i returned to new york, where the raves are 18 and up and held in clubs, and the vibes are not so friendly. people are a lot harder. and there's a crew out there called bts (which has been known to stand for so many things i can't even name them all, but a few are: brooklyn terror squad, born to scheme, bomb the system) that goes to parties just to beat up kids, sell fake shit, steal from people, and smoke dust. there's a real split between the candy ravers and what i call the "hard ravers," - those kids that wear ecko and are too fucking cool to smile at anyone. still, i think the music on the east coast rave scene is a lot more sophisticated, and i love having raves in clubs.

but here's the whole turning point in what has turned out to be an epic story (sorry :o ): when i came back to cali at the age of 23, i was all excited to come back to the shiny happy cali rave scene. i had, however, forgotten that raves out here are all ages. i attended nocturnal wonderland, at which 2 kids died and one turned up dead after being missing for a week. when i got there and looked out at the dancefloor, all i saw were kids that looked like zombies. they weren't even dancing - just staring into space. they're too young to be out, playing around so carelessly with drugs. sometimes there needs to be an age limit with things. and when people die at a party, it's time to do a reality check.

that's when i made the switch and started only going to clubs, where the adults go. i really am bothered that clubs in l.a. close so early (4 am? wtf?!?!?), but i guess that's the tradeoff i have to make. in new york they go till 9 and whatnot, and that's definitely a difference in attitude as well as in facts.

last little detail, yes, nyc's twilo closed last spring. i and, i think, most clubgoers never thought it would stick, but giuliani got that place good. and it changed new york more than anyone can really say.

there's my bit - :eek: damn!

dang weyes, you're a vetran to this web site huh? so u went to nocturnal 00' or 01? 01' was wack, probably because it was a f?!cken 5 hr drive from la area in teh middle of some dusty desert near Az, what kinda shit is that? but nocturnal 00 rocked,okie spun the most incredible set (even though a lot of peeps said that it sucked-but i dont care cuz i was so into euro electronica anywayz), but yah i still remember partying on the luscious green grass on a warm nite? have u ever seen oakie's mix abum from perfecto 'another world', there is a stadium( supposely in NYC) with himself throwin his arms to a massive crowd, which event was that? how come our la coliseum on newyears last year didn't get that filled up? shit anywho, yah the socal raves are fading tho, but i still give good light show. its funny how when i go to a 21+ club and bust out some g-sticks n' some photons on strings and clubber are like 'how da f!?k did u do that? glowsticking used to be many peoples passion, those were the good ol' dayz. but yah, people die cuz they either dont' test there pills or some fool try to bring shanks up in the crowd, which is damn insaine, poluted dance floors bout a bitch anywayz. damn e-puddles! ttyl~:mad:

yep, i'm talking about this past year's nocturnal. :mad: i could go on and on about all the shit that was wrong about that party.

a good nocturnal memory for ya - nocturnal '97: two buildings, three areas. "moby's on!" someone yelled, and i, who hadn't heard of the guy, went with my friends to his structure. the areas with all the local djs were pretty packed and jumping. moby's room, however, was close to empty, except for a few of us, wondering where everybody else was. :)