Clubplanet Nightlife Community

I miss playing in clubs - I need infos for progressive clubs

djfredfade

Hi,

I am in Florida since december 12,2001 and I miss playing in clubs. Actually I used to dj for 4 years and I was resident in Brussels of the Tao afterclub with dj CP (Bedrock rec.) for 1 year and a half, and I was resident of the MP3 bar, the drama night,...

For more than a year I used to play each week-end, and I was known for my music style all accross Belgium.

Now, I decided to follow my wife in Florida, because she used to live here and she missed usa, and because I love her...But did I make the good choice? cause it's seems really difficult to find a club where to play, not because the dj's are better, but just because I think that american clubbers only trust stars who made great records,but you have to know that a good producer is not necessary a good dj.

I don't know what to do, where to go, I need your collaboration....

The only club I find here where I could play, it's the space because the residents play music that I played with cp 6 month ago and I have a total control of this music, nothing is new there but everything can be done.

Thanks a lot, and if I can do something to help you in Europe, contact-me....

Fred-Fade

if i were in your situation, i'd make a demo mix cd (you did bring your records with you, right?) and then burn a lot of copies. i'd design an eye-catching label for the cd with all of my contact info, and i'd create a mini press kit to go into the jewel case.

then, i'd monitor this board, collect promo cards, and read new times, street, et cetera, to see what's going on in the area. i'd make a point to go out to a different club every night of the week and check out as many parties as possible. after i was sick of that (could take years, i suppose), i'd go back, repeatedly, to the parties where the music was closest to what i spin.

then, i'd introduce myself to the promoters, and tell them how much i liked their parties (assuming this is true, of course). for me, it's usually easier to find and really talk to promoters early in the night, so that's when i'd make my move. next week, i'd go back, say hello, and hand them the mix cd. the week after that, i'd be there again, say hey, how's it going, remember me, blah blah blah, did you have a chance to listen to that cd? well, if you ever need a warm-up dj, give me a call. see you next week.

after i got tired of that routine, i'd start talking to club managers at some of the smaller venues about promoting my own event on an off night. if start-up capital was a problem, maybe one of those promoters i met before would be interested in co-promoting an event. if nobody hires me, i'd just hire myself to spin at a party.

hopefully, i'd meet some well-connected people early on in this process, and they'd talk to their friends who own club whatever and, well, you know the rest.

you might also consider asking the same question over at www.djchat.com

good luck.