Clubplanet Nightlife Community

You wanna feel the Fabric?

shadygroovedc

Well, I dragged my ass out to Fabric last night. And fuck yeah, I'm glad I did! First off, the place is by far the coolest club venue I have ever seen in my life. The reason is that it's massive, yet extremely intimate. Whoever architected it did an amazing job. The space is bigger than anyone could ever possibly imagine. But it's not just a huge hall with a dancefloor. Instead, it's broken up into three rooms. Rooms one and two are where the main action goes on, and room three is a more downtempo area.

The walls and the high ceilings are all made of brick. The DJ booths sit atop a five foot high brick wall. There is a small stage in each of the two main rooms. The main rooms are no bigger than the front room at the Edge, which gives each room its own identity and a really intimate feel with the DJ right in front of you. But the rooms have the same intelligent lighting system as Buzz (except, without the trusses). They have excellent sound, which gives the music a big room feel. And the ceilings are high, which allows the bass to bounce all around and reverb into your chest. They'v got an insane amount of smoke machines. One in each corner of the room. When all four go on at the same time, the whole room fills with smoke, and with the purple and blue lights they had spinning around, it gave the room a nice, dark, Darth Vader's coming after you feel. Fabric's got the niceness of a 1223, without the pretentiousness. It's got the soundsystem of a Buzz. And it's got a Red-like crowd. Only a lot more people, which makes it that much better.

The music kicks ass on Saturday nights. Room 1 has deep, tech house, and tribal house all night. Kinda like Saeed at Red. Except with killer sound. The opening DJ (can't remember his name, but he was fucking awesome) kept it real deep and never took it too hard. And the crowd loved it. Just goes to show that Americans know jack shit about intelligent music. These Londoners can really appreciate a slow, painful, drawn out set and love every minute of it! My kind of people! The whole place was pretty packed. Not capacity, but I'd say over 1000 people. Maybe even 1500.

Room 2 had a progressive DJ named Dave Mothersole. A no name, but he was still fucking awesome. He could spin at Buzz and fit right in. He started off deep, spinning Weekend World type tunes. Then brought it up and started dropping harder tracks. Buster at 5 type tunes. Hard, but ZERO trance! Not even a hint of it! I loved it. And he kept it right at about 130 BPM. So it still retained the darkness and the deepness that it was meant to have.

Security was so cordial, I thought I had bought a VIP ticket for dinner at the Ritz. From the moment I got in, security was calling me sir, and saying "This way, sir, that way, sir".

The crowd was really cool. Everyone was into the music. No cracked out people. No groping. No super stuck up bitches who think they're too good to give you the time of day. Just a lot of friendly people. Just a totally, well, more progressive vibe. No candy kids. No glowsticks. Not many trainers. Just a bunch of 20-somethings into the deep stuff. And yes, people were dancing their asses off to the deep, 120 BPM grooves.

So Fabric last night gave a big "Fuck you" to the whole American club scene. It was simply people who were smart enough to know what they were getting into. Cause the dancefloor got packed real fast with people grooving to the tech house. A packed dancefloor to deep tribal and deep tech house? Not to mention, in the main room? You'd never see that anywhere in America. Not unless the words "Sasha & Digweed" were on the flyer and the crowd knew they only had to "sit through" the deep stuff for another couple hours. Cause a Fabric Saturday night could never happen in the states, and it's a damn shame. Cause it's pretty fucking cool to jam with a room full of people at 120 BPM.

I forgot you were going over there. There are plenty of people on this side of the pond who like our music deep and tribal and techy and can groove at lower BPMs. They're the people who were digging Burridge and JVM's opening set at Buzz a few weeks ago. Of course, it seemed like the people who were really digging Burridge and JVM the most were you and me, so maybe you're right and I need to go check out some English clubs.

Guest jroo

yeah, and shit, i just want to say fuck it, take me anywhere , and i'll dance my ass off. have a great night, im fucking wasted. i miss you all, glow was the shit, if you got my number, hit me up. peace, party peeps!!!

I loved how in the room to the right after you walk in........you could get right behind the DJ booth and watch what's going on! You could check out the mixing skills up close and personal>>>>>>>and the stages are too much fawking fun to dance on! That place is a trip!

**Did you notice that they serve "rolling rock" as a top-shelf import beer........it was like the trendiest thing ever! Cracked me up......Rolling Rock???? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by joeygk

I loved how in the room to the right after you walk in........you could get right behind the DJ booth and watch what's going on! You could check out the mixing skills up close and personal>>>>>>>and the stages are too much fawking fun to dance on! That place is a trip!

**Did you notice that they serve "rolling rock" as a top-shelf import beer........it was like the trendiest thing ever! Cracked me up......Rolling Rock???? :rolleyes:

Yeah, the DJ booth was money.

And the Rolling Rock did trip me up too. I completely forgot that to the Brits, it's considered an import. I was up at the bar, and I was trying to decide which beer I wanted, and I saw the Rolling Rock, and I just laughed to myself and decided I couldn't order Rolling Rock in such a nice establishment. But I guess, to them, it's a fancy import, and I probably would've looked real trendy had I ordered it.

Originally posted by Kuro

I forgot you were going over there. There are plenty of people on this side of the pond who like our music deep and tribal and techy and can groove at lower BPMs. They're the people who were digging Burridge and JVM's opening set at Buzz a few weeks ago. Of course, it seemed like the people who were really digging Burridge and JVM the most were you and me, so maybe you're right and I need to go check out some English clubs.

I could've dug JVM and Lee Burridge all night long. Exactly at that BPM. No need to blow it up. Keep it deep and let me enjoy the music. And that's exactly what Fabric was. All the people didn't care that the pitch slider never went past zero. They were dancing and having a blast to the deep groovey stuff. It's just so much different from the States. Cause in American clubs, you only get one or the other. You'll get deep grooves, but only as the opening act for a big name. And the crowd gets into it only cause of the anticipation of the big dog. Or, you'll get deep grooves in a small venue, where it's more background music than dance music. At Fabric, you had tech house all night, in a big location, on a good soundsystem, and with a big crowd dancing to it. It was a pretty cool sight.

Shady- where are you? You still in London, what are you typing us messages from the "easy everything?" You should be wasting your pounds on pints not posts..........get out there and party- fewl!

I'm online during coffee breaks. It's now 4:00 PM, and only about an hour more of work to go before I'm done for the day.

I spent too much cash here this past weekend. The rest of the week I'm gonna be living off my expense account for bare essentials like food. No more shopping or partying for me. :(

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

I could've dug JVM and Lee Burridge all night long. Exactly at that BPM. No need to blow it up. Keep it deep and let me enjoy the music. And that's exactly what Fabric was. All the people didn't care that the pitch slider never went past zero. They were dancing and having a blast to the deep groovey stuff. It's just so much different from the States. Cause in American clubs, you only get one or the other. You'll get deep grooves, but only as the opening act for a big name. And the crowd gets into it only cause of the anticipation of the big dog. Or, you'll get deep grooves in a small venue, where it's more background music than dance music. At Fabric, you had tech house all night, in a big location, on a good soundsystem, and with a big crowd dancing to it. It was a pretty cool sight.

Sounds perfect for me. A lot of people may not like it, but I dig tech house. And unless I'm playing techno, when I practice mixing I play at 128 - 130 BPM.

I guess a reason that you probably loved the scene in London wya bettre than anywhere youve been to here in the US is partly due to the reason that all of this club scene with this musci basically started there and they are som eyears ahead of the US in that regard.

I think the longer people hear this type of music, the more they learn to appreciate what the DJ is spinning and what he/she is doing..as such they are more critical and the DJ has to be good on a constant basis.

Anyway, roadtrip to the UK? I'm there. Cheaper to fly there than taking a train to NY. Pack 20 people into a hostel room and live off yorkshire puddings and Lucozade for a week. :D

Gee, you Mexicans sure know how to live it up! Nothin' but five star travelling for you, huh Vic?

it takes years of being frugal to reach my level, but in my opinion, travelling overseas on the ultra cheap side, is the ONLY way...plus that way you have more $$ left for what really matters -----> :roll::screwy::bounce: :goofy: beerchug.gifknuddel.gif

Originally posted by malanee

Hey Shady! We missed you on Saturday! Jimi and I had to take over the decks and it wasn't pretty! Plus, Vic cried like a baby because he missed you so much!

Ummm, yeah... So you're saying I missed out on a massive wreck on the decks, and a fruity Mexican turning on the water works? Well, you may have missed me on Saturday, but if that's the case, I sure didn't miss you guys! ;)

Originally posted by malanee

Hey Shady! We missed you on Saturday! Jimi and I had to take over the decks and it wasn't pretty! Plus, Vic cried like a baby because he missed you so much!

too bad I missed Jimi's set at malanee's and, while guys were picking shady up at Fabric and getting their groove on with shady, on Saturday I had to deal with all of this pestering througout the whole weekend. :D :D

Shady: Please tell me you weren't being a cheap bastard and made it out to the Turnmills for "Superchumbo" Tom Stephan @ the chumbomondo party! I just downloaded his essential mix, and it's stupid-sick.......... funky- twisted- tribal- house at it's best.

Ummm, yeah... So you're saying I missed out on a massive wreck on the decks, and a fruity Mexican turning on the water works? Well, you may have missed me on Saturday, but if that's the case, I sure didn't miss you guys! ;)

I can read between the lines Shady and don't you worry, we won't forget about you! You just come home safe, you hear?

Shady: Please tell me you weren't being a cheap bastard and made it out to the Turnmills for "Superchumbo" Tom Stephan @ the chumbomondo party! I just downloaded his essential mix, and it's stupid-sick.......... funky- twisted- tribal- house at it's best.

Chumbomundo only happens the first week of each month. :( I would've checked it out if it were this week, though.

But, on the "Shady always seems to be even Steven" tip, I picked up a copy of this month's Ministry magazine, and lo and behold, included with the mag was a free double CD mixed by none other than Superchumbo Tom Stephan. And let me tell you, it's two CD's of tribal bliss. Fucking one of the best CD's that haven't been recorded by myself I've ever heard (yet another shameless plug). :D

Chumbomundo only happens the first week of each month. :( I would've checked it out if it were this week, though.

But, on the "Shady always seems to be even Steven" tip, I picked up a copy of this month's Ministry magazine, and lo and behold, included with the mag was a free double CD mixed by none other than Superchumbo Tom Stephan. And let me tell you, it's two CD's of tribal bliss. Fucking one of the best CD's that haven't been recorded by myself I've ever heard (yet another shameless plug). :D

cant wait until that issue of Ministry gets here.