Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Dj starting up

avenger98

I love music i have over 300 cds and i have over 200 cds that i burned of all house, club, techno, rap. i want to know how a dj gets started? like what do u buy? how do u know what to buy? like I have no vinyls is there a way to buy like a ton of vinyls cheap like old school and what about mixers whats a good one what other equipment do u need? tyhanks

I've got a lot of old house vinyl from 3-6 years ago that I'm willing to sell cheap.

As far as what you should look for, figure out what kinda music you like. Do you like schranz, house, breaks, trance, tribal, etc.? Or are you looking to throw them all together into eclectic mixes?

It'd probably better to start off with cds to see if you actually like DJing or not, and get a cheap 2 channel mixer. Then just practice, practice, practice. I started out on vinyl, but I kept DJing at home for about 2 years before I started playing out for my friends. Then I'd keep throwing parties and spinning for my friends and finding out how to best work a crowd before I finally started putting some tapes together and handing them out at different clubs.

It depends on what kind of DJ you want to be. If you just want to be a jukebox DJ with a large music collection, go talk to promoters and club owners now since it takes relatively little effort to push play on the cd player. But if you actually want to learn how to mix and how to build a set so that it takes the crowd on a journey, then you're just gonna have to practice and invest some time and dedication in it like you would with any musical instrument.

Originally posted by avenger98

I was just curious as to how does a dj start? Like if you wanted to Dj now how would you get started? I see alot of Dj's using cds I mean true Scratching djs? How do u start whats a good mixer etc price? very curious. Is it hard??

Avenger,

I think it would be in your best interests to READ!!! read as much as you can, real all the dj catalogues of all the different brands, read up on the differences of cd's and turntables. None of us can tell you exactly what type of brand to get to start, or what type of tables to get. That is all a matter of your preference. The more educated you can become about djing, the more people can help you out. I know this sounds very vague, but it will make sense as you get more into it.

To answer your question directly, a DJ starts by buying a mixer, either vinyl turntables or cd players, and some essential cables to plug into your stereo. After that you can experiment and begin to learn how to dj. FYI, there is a mixer out there by Numark called the Shredder. It costs 60-70 bucks and works amazing if you wanna just start out. DJing is not that hard, it just takes pratice, patience, and a passion for music.