Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Exclusive Interview: DJ Stryke

lumonicat

CONNECT YOURSELF (Second Encounter) Saturday 1.26

Lumonics Light Museum

A Specific Head Production

10:00p-4a

featuring internationally acclaimed DJ/Producer:

Stryke (Substance Recordings, Platform UK, Hooj Choons UK, Guidance)

Classically trained pianist from the age of four, composer from the age of ten, and DJ from the age of 14, you could say that music is Stryke's passion, and it is. Born and raised in Kingston, Jamaica, Stryke discovered electronic music after moving to the states in the early 80s. He has recorded and remixed for labels such as Hooj Choons, Guidance, Platform, Fluential, and Harlequin, to name a few. He's considered to be one of the top techno DJs, with his tour schedule proving it. Now, with his partners in Substance, a new label and way of thinking is on the horizon. (excerpted from www.signalcommunications.net)

Lumonics is pleased to have DJ Stryke as our special guest this Saturday night. He is leaving soon for club dates in Los Angeles and San Francisco before he returns for the Winter Music Conference. You don't want to miss this event!!

Exclusive Online Interview: Greg "Stryke" Chin:

Place of birth:

Kingston, Jamaica

Current Residence:

Miami, Florida

how did you get your dj name?

it was originally a piano/synthesizer playing nickname a friend of mine gave me in high school. (striking the keys...strike...stryke...etc...) there's also a depeche mode reference to the name.

what inspired you to become a dj?

I was a musician (classical piano) before I was a DJ. I started collecting records when I moved to the states. After seeing 2 of my uncles mix at a party, I thought it was an interesting concept. I decided to try my hand at it and got hooked. I now see it as an extension of my producing.

How would you describe your dj style?

techno, with other genres (depending on how much time I have per set). primal, for the dancefloor, lots of energy.

what is the first music you remember hearing as a child?

"Rhinestone Cowboy" by Glen Campbell! that was actually my first record. I think I was 3 or something... I remember hearing a lady named Mary Grace at our church when I was 3, playing the piano. That's when I first "understood" music. That's what made me want to learn to play the piano.

some events you have dj-ed:

MTV Mastermix, Lolapalooza, Spundae, Zen, parties and raves all over the world...geez...we could be here for a while :)

djs/music artist/groups that are your biggest influence:

Chopin, Beethoven, Vangelis, Depeche Mode, John Beltran...long list here too.

current and upcoming releases:

my new album "Pages From the Blue Diary" on my own label Substance Recordings. I have a remix for Noel Sanger's track "Dissident" coming up on Musicnow Records. I've just finished a song for Josh Wink's Ovum label called "A Perfect Love." My "Hypnotized" track with Oscar G. from MURK is coming out on Hooj Choons this month, as well as 2 Ad Finem projects ("If You Fall" on Azuli in the UK and the Ad Finem EP on Harlequin in about a month and a half) busy busy busy! :)

Tell us about the music you produce.

I was a producer before I was a DJ. My process differs depending on the song. A lot of my stuff is a bit more musical than my DJing style. A lot of stuff starts on the piano, then makes it to the studio. I have no set formula or pattern of writing and producing. I just let it flow. label/affiliation, web site: www.substancerecordings.com!!!!!

best event you ever attended:

the next one ;)

3 favorite songs of all time:

too many! John Beltran - Morning at the Window (I Was in Heaven) Jam Spoon - Stella Depeche Mode - ANYTHING BY THEM! Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata (1st Movement) geez...this could be a huge list too...

what you are listening to in the car these days?

lots of John Beltran stuff, seal (best male voice in the world!), annie lennox (this woman brings the emotion!) where do you hope to be in 5 years? scoring films, married, and maybe a stryke jr. running around.

how do you think music will change in the next 5 years?

who am I to say? lets just hope it goes forward not backwards, as is the trend sometimes.

how would you assess the dance scene these days?

i don't go out too much, so you'll usually only find me at an event if I'm booked to play. I'm pretty much a hermit!

when not spinning or listening to music, I will be:

spending time with family and friends, going out to dinner (yum), catching up on movies, playing xbox, ps2, and dreamcast (it's still a great system).

favorite website:

why...www.substancerecordings.com and www.signalcommunications.net of course!

any other comment:

be safe! thanks :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DJ Sets by:

Stryke

+ Connect Yourself Residents:

Alekz (Specific Head Production)

DAtaStore (Specific Head Production)

Dallas (Specific Head Production)

Dana (Innertainment, DJ Store)

techno - tribal - house - breaks

Massive Visuals all night leading up to the Intergalactic Light Show by Tanner/Billard around 3:30 a.m.

Cover: $12 before 10:30 p.m., $15 after

free parking, $1 re-entry

Call 954.979.3161 for info/reserv. or:

www.lumonics.net (reservations)

Hope we see you!

Peace and Respect from the Lumonics crew

Fort Lauderdale, FL

thanks, nightstar, Stryke is a very down to earth guy and very pleasant to communicate with. so are the people at substance recordings, his new record label. also check out the link to his web site. http://wwwsignalcommunications.net

he is active!!

looking forward to meeting you. i will be by the dj booth working the lighting for a good part of the night, or emptying ashtrays in the smoking room.(:

barry