Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Trance Vs. House

noira

Now, don't everyone get their knickers in a knot - this isn't what you think - I was listening to some old sasha essential mixes from the early 90's and it started me thinking about my "house" discussion with soldado last week. And I started thinking about what attracts people to house and trance, and realized that there were some things I hadn't really considered before. So i want to be nosy and ask for some input here...this isn't about which scene is better - whatever makes you happy - I'm just curious.

For those of you who are into the trance scene - PVD, taucher, tiesto, gatecrasher, etc. - how long have you been into electronic music, and have you ALWAYS listened to trance or did you start listening to other stuff first?

For those of you who are into house - Naked, marques wyatt, mark farina, MAW, derrick carter - how long have you been into electronic music, and has it always been house music or did you start with other stuff?

For me - I started off with trance - Oakenfold, PVD, tiesto, etc. In the fall of '99 I saw Digweed at Twilo for the first time, and since then I've been on this "evolution" of what I call the "elusive beat." I really look for eclectic music that is simplistically elegant yet emotionally uplifting. It's not JUST house for me - it's downbeat, intelligent d&b, acid-jazz, tech-house, abstract techno - reggae, just music that is minimal yet lush - I always feel I'm searching for the perfect beat - that just one genre will never really totally satisfy...

I started listening to house back in 1991, then in 94 started getting into the techno/ breakbeat usually played in the late hours at the Edge. Then in 99 got into trance and I loved it and might I add that I enjoy the music both sober & not sober which some peeps can't. I went to a Gatecrasher Party at Space over a year ago completely sober and it was freakin awesome and the ambiance in there was crazy. At Ultra last year I really enjoyed it as well. I enjoy progressive house as well when they play the types of tunes that I like.

It also has been a slow progression for me. In the mid 80's I was into "Chicago House Music". (I hope this doesn't give away my age) :) I saw the evolution of the music but, I was later diverted in the early 90's until '95 where I was re-introduced to the sounds of Trance and progressive house.

I can tell you that I love the music and yes my preference is Trance but I really must admit that I sit and enjoy all forms electronic music. Most of all, I can also do this completely sober and just sit back and relax and listen to the beats. :bounce:

I started with breakbeats in 95 when I used to go to The Edge in Ft. Lauderdale. After that I got into trance but the trance I liked was basically all by one artist: Union Jack. I also liked Terra Ferma and Art of Trance. I later found out that these two artists were none other than members of Union jack but solo. Art of Trance is Simon Berry and Terra Ferma is Claudio Giussani.

Thanks to Sasha and Digweed's album Communicate, I listen now to mostly progressive house(sorry noira but let's just call it that for now, ok?) and new school breakbeats a la Adam Freeland.

I guess that's it in a nutshell.

I definatley perfer house (and by house I mean "deep house" and "tech house"), but I have mad respect for the few artists that spin trance well. It's a dying sound and there are a select few artists who are keeping it alive and fresh. The same goes for techno- the sound would be dead if it wasn't for Sven Vath and Mistress Barbara!

*To answer your question: I started out by listening to cheezy ass dance re-mixes, and some classic techno-tronic. ;) I got my first taste of real dance music back when I was in high school. I went to visit my sister at college and she was dating a guy who smuggled us into the old Soundfactory, before it became Twilo, and I heard Junior Vasquez. I had no idea anything could sound so cool! Amazing. That was it for me, I was converted.

1988-club 1235 (level)

my first encounter with house music. not going to go into detail but through time i've been through all sorts of genre and sub-genres.

96-98 ny house and cheesy shit like tong, jules, oakie, etc.

98-00 trance heavy days

00-01 progressive and west coast

01-02 who cares, whatever makes me move whether it be house, progressive, tech house, or techno.

before 98, u don't even wanna know...lol... ever hear speed garage???

lately ive been feeling that dubby boring house music. shit i can smoke out too and just veg. very minimal, nothing much going on, yet effective.

craig richards, dj dano, and tyler stadius are good examples of that quirky sound.

for me it started in 97 -98 with cheesy stuff, ie. sneaker pimps, the early josh wink stuff. between 99 and 00, i was totally into trance. epic, melodic, hard. then late 2000 into now, house is a big part of my collection. mostly prog. house, tech house etc.... but yet, i still love my trance AND house, and its ok to like both, you dont have to be a fan of just one genre....

There has never really been much of a transition for me. I started partying with the "boys" in the summer of 90 or so. That was my introduction to House (at the Warsaw Ballroom). Back then the big DJs were Frankie Knuckles, Tony Humphries, Danny Tenaglia (he got applause at the end of a set, even back then), Little Louis Vega, etc.... That soul-filled sound is still what I like best today. I have an ear for other stuff too (Prog, Tech, Deep, etc...) but it doesn't do what House does for me. :)