Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DRESS CODES/ NO GLOWSTICKS (Discrimination for music lovers?) "poll"

DO YOU BELIEVE IN DRESS CODES/NO GLOWSTICKS POLICIES IN CLUBLAND?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. DO YOU BELIEVE IN DRESS CODES/NO GLOWSTICKS POLICIES IN CLUBLAND?

• YES! (Keep those damn ravers out. It's low class)
    • NO! (Music is for EVERYONE.)
    • Who cares (Pass the bean dip and nachos please)

A while back ago I use to wear big ass Jenckos,

have bleached hair, suck on pacifiers and twirl glow sticks..

Well, I grew up and changed.

And though I don't dress that way anymore

I have had the occasional inspiration to dance with

sticks (should the mood strike me)..

I believe that "DANCE MUSIC" is meant

exactly JUST FOR THAT:

DANCING!

So you explain to me how certain clubs

cater to music that was built on getting

sweaty and freaky on the dance floor

and apply strict "Dress Codes" or "No sneakers/No glow sticks"

rules at the door..

What I find even more striking is that certain DJs will

gravitate to these clubs (DJs who's core audience ALL wear sneakers.)

I have nothing against people that want to "dress to impress"

on a dance floor with pounding music and lights..

(Though I'd rather feel comfy and dance ass my ass off.)

But you know what?

Don't push me away from the

door for NOT looking like you.

THIS SCENE WAS BUILT ON UNITY

AND MUSIC WHEN IT STARTED..

What happened?

SO I WAS JUST CURIOUS:

(and everyone is entitled to an opinion

even if you agree or disagree)

DO YOU AGREE WITH DRESS CODES IN CLUBLAND?

OR IS IT A FORM OF DISCRIMINATION?

The only reason is:

I was in the Tunnel one night trippin hard, and this girl grabbed me sat me down, and took 2 glo sticks, and she was moving them in such a sexual/trancy way....man ill never forget it. She hypnotized me with them. Thats the only reason I had to vote no.

Im not a homophobe, but I think men should'nt have glowsticks hehe.

Im 29 now, so Id really like to go to clubs which are 21 & over or 23 & over, but for the younger kids...its fun i guess...i was never into them, except when I was with that girl whoooo.

I used to go to alot of Steven Lewis's parties, so you couldnt wear sneakers. You had to dress to impress.

just my 2centz

I sometimes get caught up in how we were in the early 90s...dress to impress...we wore suits and silk shirts to night clubs and we danced till we dropped in those as well...but that was a different era...it's all about comfort now...be comfortable with who you are and where you are and what you are...ergo if you want to get all baggied out to dance go ahead; if you're more comfortable in slacks and a shirt, then the same goes for you; Let's just make sure neither one discriminates against the other - we all want the same thing: a good time...

I couldnt say it better myself.

brooklynkid, was just my opinion...

If you into glowstix thats your prefrence... No harm in that.

And honestly, if the GOVERNMENT or whoever labels people who like glowstix and suck on a pacifier for being drug-attic rave kiddies, then I would have to disagree.

That would be DISCRIMINATION & PROFILING!! Fuk UM!

peace~

Originally posted by phatman

Let's just make sure neither one discriminates against the other - we all want the same thing: a good time...

Very well said.

I think it all comes down on how management wants their venue portrayed. Underdressed kids with sneakers and glowsticks are usually associated with the rave/drug culture. I wish it wasn't true, but that's how a lot of law enforcement officials think.

Though I don't personally use glowsticks, and I think they're overused without skill... I could care less if they're around. What I do, however, hate is Strings... they're too dangerous, take up too much space, and piss everyone off.

And Dresscodes = Shit.

Wear what you want, it makes the place better. One of my favorite things about LimeLight was that on a given friday night, you never saw very many people who looked the same... You had everything from thugs, to ravers, to preps, goth, psytrance heads, and people with their own look/style.

Dresscodes kill vibe in my opinion...

I'm on the fence about this one. When I go to certain places I don't mind the dress code (no sneakers, etc) because of the atmosphere. Other places I've been I don't care if the person next to me has on sneakers and jeans. When I go out it's all about the music...so long as everyone acts right it's all good in the hood! :D

I think it mainly boils down to the type of establishment you go to...clubs with stricter dress codes think they attract a "certain type of person" but we all know OJ wore a suit too!:laugh:

Originally posted by trancend

seriously though, if i ever get a rave flyer that says "dress to impress" i will completely lose faith in the scene

that makes two of US!!! Well first I would take that flyer and rip it up in front of the promoter handing them out and then I would thrown it up in the air and watch it fall to the ground like confetti...

Originally posted by glowgrlnyc

that makes two of US!!! Well first I would take that flyer and rip it up in front of the promoter handing them out and then I would thrown it up in the air and watch it fall to the ground like confetti...

I'd like to take most promoters and rip them up in the air and watch them fall to the ground like confetti...whole other post though...talk about losing faith in the scene...

Originally posted by trancend

seriously though, if i ever get a rave flyer that says "dress to impress" i will completely lose faith in the scene

Seiously though....it used to be parties every week or every other week....now its like once a fucking month if im lucky.....

::sigh:: (the good old days)

Guest saleen351

If you are over the age of 23 and you use glow sticks wear baggy pants, do that raver crap, drop e pills then you are what we call a LOSER!

I all 4 being comfy when I’m bugging out. YES that means having sneakers on my feet.

What’s up with the “dress to impress” shit. I mean do you have to “dress to impress” just to get passed the door and then once you’re in you can take your shirt off and run around half naked?

FUCK THAT.

And further more there is a fine line between dancing with glowsticks and waving them around like an idiot.

That’s all I have to say about that.

Originally posted by saleen351

If you are over the age of 23 and you use glow sticks wear baggy pants, do that raver crap, drop e pills then you are what we call a LOSER!

ONE LOOSER RIGHT HERE BABE!

But what I find scarier are

the youngins that act OOOLLLDDD!

Never think you are above anything kid.

If an old man wants to ROCKnROLL..

smile and hope you last that long as well

when you reach that age.

(Or before the GLAM society eats your heart away.)

To each his/her own..

anyone ever seen the 70 year old tapdancer

that hangs out at Filter/Vynil/ limelight and

Centro?

Tell him to stop trying to act so young.

:finger:

Originally posted by exit2heaven

Seiously though....it used to be parties every week or every other week....now its like once a fucking month if im lucky.....

::sigh:: (the good old days)

thats what i was thinking....then i just started looking harder, and found good shit:)

Originally posted by mugwump

To each his/her own..

anyone ever seen the 70 year old tapdancer

that hangs out at Filter/Vynil/ limelight and

Centro?

I loved the old guy at LL!!!!! Senile Old fool he was, I'd rather be doing that at 70 than sitting in my home waiting for death to rip me from the world.