Clubplanet Nightlife Community

21@ Lumonics?

fat0ny

Is there. or will there ever be a 21+ at lumonics? The reason I ask is because the last time I went I was turned off from that whole candy pookie head raver kiddy enviroment. It was the only time was not happy about a girl coming up to me asking if she could blow me up. I dunno if its because im the only kid n0t getting pooked up at "raves". Or maybe its because I just dont like kids : P Anyhow. I think its a great place. with beautiful art and good music. Just wondering if theirs a different crowd out there.

man, i personaly loved the vibe at lumonics it was good and anyone can get in, people who arent lucky like *cough* *cough* cant get into places becasue of the 21+ so i tjhink what lumonics did was good becasue now people who arent 21 or even 18 can go listen to the music they enjoy...my 2 cents

Sunday

I remember reading an interview some months back with one of the top djs in Europe who mentioned that some of the best events there included the younger people who brought an infusion of high energy. That was very new to the dance scene there, and he welcomed it.

That energy has usually comes in the form of druged up 16 and 17 year olds looking for a place to go. Its my experiance that kids for the most part (unfourtunatly) arent into it for the music. Usually underagers look for whats cool and what everyone is doing or whatever is in style. In this case its popping a pill and wearing PLUR shirts just because every one else is doing it. These are the same kids that were listening to Eminem a year ago, Before that were learning how to breakdance because it was in style in middle school. This is the modern Z-Caviricci generation and what pisses me off is when the music I listen to and love so much gets a bad name because of highschool kids that get pooked up and go clubbing. Now im not saying that ALL underagers that go to "raves" or to lumonics for that matter are not there for the music. Bingo (aka Isolation) Is one of the few people I know his age that are into it for the quality of the music... not the quality of the drug. I know that he is allways sober. That I apreciate more than anything. Now, what I AM saying is that that was what i experienced the last time I went to lumonics. A crowd full of little kids out for a night full of drugs that make you feel the connectedness in the universe and then want to give me a massage. Im not saying its a bad thing for everyone.. just for me... I have a problem with it. and I beleive i'm entitled to my oppinion. If people cant love the music while being sober then they shouldent be listening to the shit in the first place. I dunno how many people i've known that listen to my music and say: "damn.. how can you listen to this repetitive shit". Then they pop a "bean" (as somone refered to it the other night) and go clubbing and all of a sudden cant wait to get their hands on my old Tiesto cd. *sigh* all I wanted to know was Is there or will there ever be a 21+ at lumonics. From the tone of the previous posts i dont see it happening.

this is an interesting dilemma. I personally have never been, in favor of clubs being 21 and over. maybe because, I grew up in the northeast and started going to clubs at 18 years old. I truly believe that allowing 18 and over people into clubs, adds an additional element of energy. which is sometimes lost in 21 and over clubs. the aspect of drug use can be found, in all age categories. I have seen adults passed out, puking, etc in quite a few clubs here. we won’t get into the numerous, people asking me for a “hook upâ€. I think the stigma of drug use, seems to be perpetuated when, it comes to the younger partiers. there are many young partiers, who are very into music, and should be allowed to experience it. I think it boils down to, controlling the environment. i.e. tighter security, etc. imo age is number; maturity is a state of mind. just my two pennies..

True. but i do think there is a serious lack of maturity in miami. While everyone else is just trying to be themselves. miami people are trying to be hard.. or whatever. i remember going to new york ant talking to some really really cool young people.. but the difference is they were more aware up north.. they had a grasp on their culture and who and what they were.. they lack that down here. its like they are who power 96 tells them they are. or mtv. its not just music.. but especially music. after all.. it is the backbone of our culture. that is who we are.. our music. So you can see how i get pissed off when i mention the "kiddies" giving us a bad name.

Originally posted by fat0ny

True. but i do think there is a serious lack of maturity in miami. While everyone else is just trying to be themselves. miami people are trying to be hard.. or whatever. i remember going to new york ant talking to some really really cool young people.. but the difference is they were more aware up north.. they had a grasp on their culture and who and what they were.. they lack that down here. its like they are who power 96 tells them they are. or mtv. its not just music.. but especially music. after all.. it is the backbone of our culture. that is who we are.. our music. So you can see how i get pissed off when i mention the "kiddies" giving us a bad name.

I agree with you 100%. it sucks that some kids, have to miss out, because of the immaturity of their peers. that's the sad reality of this all . if I were under 21 ; in love with music and living in Miami. I would probably go crazy..

Heheh you said Z-Cavarrici.

It's Miami that fucked itself over for the 18+ crowd. Where you get responsibility in other areas of the country, it seems like every Miami male under 21 has this insane desire to lower their Honda, put on some Power 96 trance, and do boatloads of drugs.

Lumonics may draw a few 'undesirables', but what venue doesn't? crobar has it's pretentious morons in the VIP, Space has it's steroid-monkeys, and so forth...if anything Lumonics is run by some of the nicest people I've met, and draws similar folk to it's shows.

Do what I do, when someone asks you for a roll, whip out the Fuji.

I've spun at Lumonics twice already and let me tell you that the majority of the kids that go ARE there for the music and the vibe. The place is very cool and I think that it's just seeing kids that may turn off an older crowd. Why? I have no idea. There are many 18 and over clubs in Broward that the majority of the kids are fucked up, but at Lumonics it's not ALL like that. The staff truly make it seem like home......it's very comfortable....it's kinds like a Cheers: Where everybody knows your name.....so don't knock it til you try it.......Lumonics has been bringing in known DJ's for a while and will most likely continue to do so as it is increasing in popularity. Personally I have noticed more people going recently. Stryke spun there not too long ago as well........I'm looking forward to going back......

I got mah sony : )

I know. I think people think that ive been attacking lumonics, or atleast made myself sound like that when that really wasent my intention. I liked the place alot. I liked the idea of it.. alot. I liked the art alot. I think you can tell by my pictures of the place. I am also glad that there is a place to go for kids that like the music. my original problem was with the culture itself. but i dont think i did a good job at making that clear enough. i mean.. shit.. power 96 played good music 7 years ago. but it got the touch of death from the mass crowd and usually that comes from the demand of the younger crowd. and thats only because they are marketable, especially since their so easy to manipulate.. i would hate to see that happen to lumonics.

fat0ny >your points were very clear. :)

hopefully Lumonics ; will continue to set the trend. for what an 18 and over venue should be . then perhaps this will foster a change; that will allow more young clubbers. to enjoy the music they love.

fat0ny, I have not been offended by anything you said, and the whole tone of this conversation has been valuable.

I have gotten back to this discussion late after a couple of weekend events at Lumonics. When Lumonics was a Light and Sound Theatre with some occasional live performances, the audience was almost always 18 + with mostly 21 and up. The evening also would end around 11pm. Now the nights mostly start at that time, and the people that go are often teen-agers who have been in various states of desperation for a place where they are treated courteously and where they can hear good music and dance. They are also at an age of experimentation with everything. Sometimes I do wish they would do it somewhere else.:) Especially when it seems people aren't into the music or the vibe. Over the years, we would bring in schools and camps for matinees and the clean-up was a lot easier....:eek:

It appears Lumonics is going to move to 18 and up on certain nights. It might become the usual policy with some occasional all age events."Older" people will feel more comfortable and when we opened Lumonics with the dance space, we never thought that all these younger people would come out the way they do.

We are planning an event called Devotion on Sat. April 6th with Austin Leeds and Thomas Penton. Thomas Penton is designing the flyer and it should be on the Lumonics web site in a couple of days. That will be 18 and up night.

I hope I get to meet all of you whenever you come to Lumonics. Thank you for your thoughtfulness. And Meng, we want you back again.