Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Anyone been to Paris/ French clubbing scene

My sister and mom got back from Paris this evening. They're now sleeping but the first thing my sister said to me when I asked her if I would like it was "Andrew, you'd love the clubs and girls." She brought me back some awesome cologne that can only be purchased in France. I'll let you know the names of the clubs/cologne tom. when she wakes up. By the way, if you like to shop plan on bringing a second suitcase just for clothes, handbags, etc that you buy. (My mom and little sister bought soooo much stuff its unreal)

Andrew

I lived in Paris for 1 1/2 years - moved back to NY about a year ago. I am intimately familiar with the Paris club scene. Here's the lowdown:

First and foremost, when you get to Paris, stop by a newsstand and buy a booklet called "Pariscope". This is a weekly event magazine, and has a Timeout section in English that will tell you what's going on in the club scene that week/weekend.

The french scene is all about house and techno, and you will hear DJ's that you have never heard before. It's rare that a "big-name" DJ will go to Paris. Sometimes you'll get someone like Laurent Garnier spinning though, which is cool. Not alot of trance or prog. house in Paris.

The Rex club is by far the best club in Paris (5 blvd. Poissonierie, in the Opera district, 2nd arrondissement) - i have been there probably 30-40 times. usually techno on Fridays (it's a night called Automatik), and on Saturdays it's usually house, sometimes techno, but still a good party. I still get the montly event emails for the rex - let me see if i can find it and i will post it on here for april.

Other "before" clubs include Les Bains (upscale), Folies Pigalle (kinda shady, but cool) and several near the Champs Elysees area. There's a club called Queen on the Champs Elysees as well - cool place, but its a gay club on most nights, so if that ain't your thing (like it ain't mine), don't bother going.

The after hours scene in Paris is fairly sick, lots of options:

First, there's a club called L'enfer that is located in the basement of the Tour Montparnasse (the only tall building in Paris proper). this club is dark as shit, with loud, dark, banging techno. Cool for that time of the night.

There's a boat that's docked on the Seine river (in the 17th arrondissement, I think..) that turns into a Sunday-morning afterhours club. It's called Batofar, and it's awesome, highly recommended.

Lastly, Folies Pigalle also is an afterhours club, but it's located in the red light district of Paris, so it's a bit shady.

Most after-hours clubs are open until around 11 or 12.

Parisian girls:some are hot, some are not. Sometimes it's difficult to get past the initial attitude. One piece of advice - always tell people you're from NY - they love it.

On the non-clubbing front, Paris is a sightseers Disney world. Shopping galore too, best in the world.

Hope this helps - If you need any more info, PM me.

- idrthrbclbng -

Originally posted by joshwa75

ye im goin to Nice,france, this summer. any hot spots. i hear its mostly gay bars and clubs. just a little info would help.

Lowdown on Nice/Cannes/St. Tropez/Monaco area: Probably not your clubbing hotspot if you're into the music, although you might get a good DJ or two.

However, the Cote D'Azur (as this area is called) is totally awesome, lots and lots of good looking women, top-notch food, and one of the most beautiful areas in Europe, if not the world (IMO). bring lots of money, though, because it is not for the faint of wallet - it's a fully upscale affair.

Bottom line: If I was planning a clubbing trip i probably not would not choose this area. There's ALOT of partying going on though (just cheesy music), and I cannot stress enough that this area kicks ass - you're going to have a good time regardless.