Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Let's get theological for a second...

Originally posted by malone

Okay, I accept that criticism, as I neglected to say that it was the brain that interprets the stimulation on the hearing organ, as sound. However, this oversight does not invalidate the actual point being made, which was that for sound to occur a "listener"had to be present.

Well actually, it does invalidate the point (which is why I included the definition of the word "sound" in that last post.)

And my argument, thus stated last time, is that whether anyone can hear the sound or not, the sound waves still exists. No one may ever know about it, but that matters precious little because the sound waves still exists (as the definition shows, sound is both the interpretation AND the vibrations themselves).

If you take out the human, then you take out the human interpretation of the sound. The sound itself is not gone (am I beating the dead horse hard enough yet)?

This is what I was refering to as the "human centered" view. Which I applied correctly to what hacker said, as seen in his statement right here:

as i see it, you have, though it may not have

been your original intent, agreed with my notion

that nothing truly exists, and that everything

is perceived by the observer ... without a

listener, no sound; without a viewer,

no vision; and so forth ... so, no observer,

no perception at all ... thus by those

constraints, nothing exists - something

Is because it seems to us that it Is.

That reality and elements thereof is somehow incapable of existence if there were no humans or other beings around to perceive it...this is what I'm arguing against.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by boreese

But what is so bad about being humanistic?

I am a humanist, at least partially so, and do NOT see anything wrong with it. (besides the usual glitches all philosophies have)

hu·man·ism

Date: 1832

a doctrine, attitude, or way of life centered on human interests or values; especially : a philosophy that usually rejects supernaturalism and stresses an individual's dignity and worth and capacity for self-realization through reason

I my case, I do believe in a supernatural being that maybe does exist, or once existed.

it's so interesting that you quoted that - one usually thinks humanism in that 19th-century sense of the word was founded in the renaissance (italian, that is). however, some open minded people called themselves umanisti even before the renaissannce in italy; their focus was on the Man, as opposed to God, who they of course didn't reject, but they tried to divorce Man's destiny and God's mystrarious ways -- and, hence -- they liked Fortuna (who was also called Imperatrix Mundi - The Empress of the world), whic brings us at the beginning of this debate (page 1, LOL)

i'm going to :blown: myself now:laugh: :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by zlatang

Some open minded people called themselves umanisti even before the renaissannce in italy; their focus was on the Man, as opposed to God, who they of course didn't reject, but they tried to divorce Man's destiny and God's mystrarious ways -- and, hence -- they liked Fortuna

BABY! U summed up my whole thing with that! DAMN! ;)

I just hate when people say that God did this and God did that, when a person, or people, did those things. God didn't make me bust my ass in class, I did it myself, SO WTF!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by dzadza

What if they're different labels for the same thing? As long as you're not in control of things that happen to you, it doesn't really matter how you call it.

hmm i miss this thread as well.....god=luck? as i said not in the christina doctrine, alas. the way of the virtue is always painful in christianity (hence a certain s&m elements in it). as for the beliefs in the far east, i'm not competent to estimate. however, what you say is not unknown to muslim religion i believe, because they believe in destiny (if i remember well)....:D

BABY! U summed up my whole thing with that! DAMN! ;)

I just hate when people say that God did this and God did that, when a person, or people, did those things. God didn't make me bust my ass in class, I did it myself, SO WTF!!!!!!!!!

what a rebel you are...lol..yes i was in my philosophical mode that night....+ i'm reading about these wretched umanisti for school...

Originally posted by zlatang

what a rebel you are...lol..yes i was in my philosophical mode that night....+ i'm reading about these wretched umanisti for school...

Aiight, better example, when one--no one spicificik--does K, or coke :tongue:, one may argue that the devil makes the person do so, while I argue that the person just wanted to get HIGH, OK!

Just like one decides not to do so, and no "God" decides that, OK!

;)

Aiight, better example, when one--no one spicificik--does K, or coke :tongue:, one may argue that the devil makes the person do so, while I argue that the person just wanted to get HIGH, OK!

Just like one decides not to do so, and no "God" decides that, OK!

;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i don't know who you were referring to....about the coke&K...:rolleyes: