Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Which type of music is "house"?

OK, I wanted to get some information straight...

Whenever I hear ppl talking about HOUSE that clubs play I get real confused, cuz back in the 80's, there was a type of music that got popular that was called house and/or club music but it was more like freestyle, pop, latino music, rap. now some ppl call techno "house" (at least some of my European friends do).

for me anyway I don't want to go into a club and hear the first type for sure, since i don't like that type of music. no offense to anyone that does, i just don't. I like progressive and psychedelic trance and can tolerate techno...

sorry for the dumb questions, I just want to get it straight, that'sxz all...

if you wanna hear house done right, pick up deep dish's 'yoshiesque 2'. those two discs havent left my cd player since they came out last year. they cover the full range of house from deep vocally (kot - finally) to tech house (humate - choose life -thomas schumacher rmx) to tribal (creamer + k - i wish you were here) and so many other siiick tracks.

or check this out:

http://www.groovetech.com/PhoenixDa...edMediaID=71610

its a set from rob salmon. hes got a couple releases on deep dish's label. and he puts it down proper.

happy listening....

Eh, I agree, but deep dish is still all somewhat progressive. There's definately much more of a range than what people are listing here. Don't forget about funky house at the very least (i.e. Roger Sanchez), chicago hard house (i.e. Bad Boy Bill, Irene) and a lot of that cheesy vocal disco sounding stuff you were talking about earlier is still roaming around. Personally, I'll take funky stuff over progressive/tribal/dark stuff almost anytime. I'm sure there are about a million different delineations of house running around, and maybe I'm just weird, but a lot of what people call house these days (i.e. Creamer + K type stuff), if you look back to 5 years ago, it would have been a lot closer to trance than house. That's just my 2 cents though....

The Term House music was derived in Chicago in the late 70's from the Legendary night club "warehouse" as a post genure to Disco music. Since then in its virgin form, house has died. However you may still hear remenats of this genure if you listen to dj's like Tony Humpries and Frankie Knuckles.