Clubplanet Nightlife Community

WTF - Bush is backing out of the ABM treaty!

kramadas

Sorry, I guess I'm in a very political mood today...but WTF...Bush is scarpping the ABM treaty! And Russia is saying its gonna put multiple warheads on its latest missiles!!!

Initially (since I'm not that much into politics) I really didn't have an opinion of Bush, but what I'm finding out is getting worse and worse.

I guess I can be characterized as a liberal!

http://www.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/12/12/rec.bush.abm.treaty/index.html

Originally posted by Kuro

Launching antiballistic missile initiatives was one of his campaign promises. It shouldn't be a surprise.

I wasn't following the campaign too closely - I guess I got this sudden interest in politics only recently! :D

Now I feel like a fool! :eek:

Originally posted by vicman

yeah, i think republicans tend to focus more attention on armed forces and stuff like that....bush sr. made it a point in his campaign and we know reagan and nixon also followed the same pattern.

There's nothing wrong with putting money into the armed forces. But an ABM system is not the way to go. Especially when you consider that some of our servicemen with families have to rely on food stamps in order to feed their children.

Originally posted by raver_mania

Sorry, I guess I'm in a very political mood today...but WTF...Bush is scarpping the ABM treaty! And Russia is saying its gonna put multiple warheads on its latest missiles!!!

Initially (since I'm not that much into politics) I really didn't have an opinion of Bush, but what I'm finding out is getting worse and worse.

I guess I can be characterized as a liberal!

http://www.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/12/12/rec.bush.abm.treaty/index.html

I knew that was coming! And don't worry - I'm I raving left wing liberal myself and a pacifist to boot!

Originally posted by Kuro

There's nothing wrong with putting money into the armed forces. But an ABM system is not the way to go. Especially when you consider that some of our servicemen with families have to rely on food stamps in order to feed their children.

Moreover, *climbs on the school of foreign service soapbox* using an ABM system will destroy the current balance of power. Not that Bush would *know* what balance of power is because he only got through school because his daddy said he should, but hey, i mean, as long as there's pigskin and pickup trucks I guess it's all good right?

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

Moreover, *climbs on the school of foreign service soapbox* using an ABM system will destroy the current balance of power. Not that Bush would *know* what balance of power is because he only got through school because his daddy said he should, but hey, i mean, as long as there's pigskin and pickup trucks I guess it's all good right?

But long before we even get to the point of balance of power issues we have to deploy an effective, working ABM system which I don't expect to see. They'll be working on it for years to defend against missiles that "rogue nations" don't even have yet while U-Hauls filled with fertilizer, fuel oil, and dynamite are going off all over the place. I thought that after the attack the whole ABM thing would be forgotten in place of more pressing threats. Guess not.

First, I don't agree with what Bush is doing. Concentrating on the reduction of the world's nuclear weapon stockpiles and nonproliferation of exiting weapons of mass destruction (or even not-so-mass-destruction) really should be a the first priority in this realm.

However, from a political point of view, let's not forget that this "son of star wars" was started under the Clinton administration. I think both parties are to blame for pushing it to this point. Of course, you can then trace the heritage back to Reagan and the original "star wars" idea.

BTW, I'm a registered independent. I don fully agree with the platforms of any political party and would rather not be labeled as belonging to one. Yeah, I'm probably a freakin' liberal too, but my thoughts and opinions are my own for no one else to claim.