Clubplanet Nightlife Community

HELP!!! I need INFO on old-school NY nightlife...

I'm doing a research project on nightlife in New York....its development and rise in popularity...its lowest and highest points....trends, hotspots, famous promoters/club owners, etc....

I'm starting with Studio 54 and following up to the present time....including everything in between....

AND WHO CAN BE OF BETTER HELP THAN YOU GUYS???? :cool:

so....

if you know any websites, books or articles that discuss the history of NY clubs in the last....20-30 years.....PLEASE post them, I need all the help I can get with this!!!

Also if you have any personal stories about experiences in the early 90s (the earlier the better) that could help me with this topic, either post them here or PM me personally

THANK YOU!!! :D

Although they don't cover "EVERYTHING" per say...i would definitely go to like Barnes and nobles or wherever and get..these 2 books...

THE LAST PARTY (bout studio 54 and on)

DISCO BLOODBATH (bout Michael Alig and the days of Limelight's Disco 2000 parties to the murder of angel mendez)

Hope they are useful in yer project.

Originally posted by dolik

thanks bro....I actually just bought Disco Bloodbath today, reading it right now....gonna check out the other one.

if you come out to Roxy tonight i will give u a brief history lesson of my own or try to answer any kinda questions...if yer not goin there..oh well...lol.

Make sure you include:

- Limelight

- NASA

- Palladium

- Tunnel

- The Ritz (used to be Studio 54)

- Club USA

I remember going to those places years ago in the early 90's.

I would suggest getting in contact with the people who worked at the venues. The owners would be the best contacts for you, but you'll probably will have trouble getting in contact with them. You may have an easier time getting in touch with the managers, the DJs, the lighting and sound designers, et cetera...

Contact Scotto at http://www.drop.com or his e-mail scotto@drop.com He has been a lighting designer for years.

Good Luck.

Are you going to publish your project on the internet ?

Originally posted by willandslater

Make sure you include:

- Limelight

- NASA

- Palladium

- Tunnel

- The Ritz (used to be Studio 54)

- Club USA

I remember going to those places years ago in the early 90's.

I would suggest getting in contact with the people who worked at the venues. The owners would be the best contacts for you, but you'll probably will have trouble getting in contact with them. You may have an easier time getting in touch with the managers, the DJs, the lighting and sound designers, et cetera...

Contact Scotto at http://www.drop.com or his e-mail scotto@drop.com He has been a lighting designer for years.

Good Luck.

Are you going to publish your project on the internet ?

basically you took the words out of my mouth, so cannot add more (as far as venues) except I would put arena up there also......however if you want to get a broader perspective (i.e. not just disco/techno though palladium and tunnel were certainly known for more than that) I suggest (a) latin quarter (2) union square (3) copa--obviously more hip hop spots, and can't say I was at all part of that movement--but certainly strong part of new york nitelife history