Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Download My Mix @ Audiogalaxy

dcsglow

hey finally got it up....um...its still my first one but i want you guys to tear it to shreds, tell me what i did good, bad, and what i can do better on...this applies to fellow DJs only:) but all is welcome to join and listen.

Search for user DCsGLOW, then it should be the first song on there

DJ JM - Defeat the Dark...

or go here...

DJ JM - Defeat the Dark

Originally posted by dcsglow

hey finally got it up....um...its still my first one but i want you guys to tear it to shreds, tell me what i did good, bad, and what i can do better on...this applies to fellow DJs only:) but all is welcome to join and listen.

Search for user DCsGLOW, then it should be the first song on there

DJ JM - Defeat the Dark...

or go here...

DJ JM - Defeat the Dark

How long is it?

I really want to hear. I think we should all do this just to show the progress that we are making and to get tips form the pros. (shady). I don't have a recorder program on my computer yet but I need to get one.

Make sure you add to the how long and what have you been spinning thread.

Originally posted by therunner

How long is it?

I really want to hear. I think we should all do this just to show the progress that we are making and to get tips form the pros. (shady). I don't have a recorder program on my computer yet but I need to get one.

Make sure you add to the how long and what have you been spinning thread.

spoiled brat:mad: lol

TRACKLISTING: 73:00

1. Iio - Rapture (Creamer & K Mix)

2. Iio - Rapture (Armin Van Buuren Mix)

3. Delerium - Underwater (Rank 1 Mix)

4. PPK - Resurrection (Space Club Mix)

5. DJ Tiësto - Lethal Industry (Mauro Picotto Mix)

6. Satoshi Tomiie - Love In Traffic (Creamer & K Mix)

7. Memnon - Eclipse (Luzon Mix)

8. Bedrock - Heaven Scent (POB Mix)

9. Kosheen - Catch (Ferry Corsten Mix)

10. Led Zepplin - Baby I'm Gonna Leave You (Quivver Mix)

11. Trance All-Stars - Lost In Love (ATB Mix)

12. Du Monde - Never Look Back (Full On Vocal Mix)

13. Blank & Jones - Desire (4 Strings Mix)

14. 4 Strings - Take Me Away (Rank 1 Mix)

15. PPK - Resurrection (Robots Outro)

Jimi-Jack, I listened to part of your mix the other night. First off, I expected massive trainwreck after massive trainwreck. Don't get me wrong, your mix wasn't good. :rolleyes: But it surprisingly wasn't as bad as I would've expected from someone only spinning for a few months. I'd have to say it was better than I expected, but you did make some of the exact mistakes I would've expected from someone who hasn't taken any lessons or gotten any pointers.

First off, you need to work on your phrasing. New samples are almost always introduced or taken away on a phrase. That means if you match up the phrases between the two tunes you're mixing, you'll be able to mix in and out without any offensive sound clashes. If you don't have it phrased, even if you have the beats perfectly matched, it'll sound like shit. There were a few mixes you had where you've got the beat matched, but because they're not phrased, the effect you'd have on the dancefloor would be that some poor soul who's rolling nuts would be doing the Nordic Track (1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4...) and all of a sudden, because your phrases aren't matched, you'd cut out the beat on him and he'd end up tripping over his own feet and falling flat on his ass. Phrasing is important. Remember that.

Secondly, faking it like you did on your first mix between the two versions of Rapture won't fool anybody. :D You know what you did. Don't do it again. :D

Some tips. While you're starting out, always keep a count in your head to know where you are in terms of phrases in a tune. After a while, you'll just be able to feel when a new phrase will begin (most people can feel it naturally. e.g., you know how sometimes you're on the dancefloor, and you just know the exact beat where you'll hear a particular sample or a breakdown come in? That's a phrase). Until you can feel it without counting, just know that 8 bars (or 32 beats) will get you one phrase. Sometimes it's 16 bars (64 beats). But if you do 8, that'll be good enough for now. How do you know when to start counting? Well, you can start from the first beat of the record, and count in groups of 32. Or the first beat after a breakdown also starts a new phrase. In your case, with the fairy trance you listen to, that means listen for the snare drumroll. That usually lasts a few bars. Right when the snare drumroll ends and the kick drum kicks back in, that's a new phrase. :D

That's about all I have time for. Not bad for someone starting out. Trust me, once you understand phrasing and are able to do it between every mix, even if you trainwreck, you'll still be able to keep a decent flow in your mix. Ok, I take that back. If you trainwreck hard, it'll suck. But if you have a minor wreck, it's still ok.

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

Just know that 8 bars (or 32 beats) will get you one phrase. Sometimes it's 16 bars (64 beats). But if you do 8, that'll be good enough for now. How do you know when to start counting? Well, you can start from the first beat of the record, and count in groups of 32. Or the first beat after a breakdown also starts a new phrase. In your case, with the fairy trance you listen to, that means listen for the snare drumroll. That usually lasts a few bars. Right when the snare drumroll ends and the kick drum kicks back in, that's a new phrase. :D

That was my AHHA moment in metatracks, when I said, "holy shit!, This is going to be easy" But i found out that i can't count to 32. I fuck it up all the time, but I think oncce I get my beat matching down to 32 beats (instead of three complete rotations threw the entire record) I will be able to catch the Phrasing in time.

Originally posted by therunner

That was my AHHA moment in metatracks, when I said, "holy shit!, This is going to be easy" But i found out that i can't count to 32. I fuck it up all the time, but I think oncce I get my beat matching down to 32 beats (instead of three complete rotations threw the entire record) I will be able to catch the Phrasing in time.

You can break up the counting into groups of four (for each bar). Count: 1-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4, 3-2-3-4, 4-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4, 3-2-3-4, 4-2-3-4 That's 8 bars. And you don't have to count all the way up to 32. Just up to 4.

If you miss the beginning of a new phrase, there'll be a new one coming up after another 32 beats. So don't think you have to rush to match the beat to catch this particular phrase. There are many different phrases in a tune. Which one you choose helps define your style.

You can break up the counting into groups of four (for each bar). Count: 1-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4, 3-2-3-4, 4-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4, 3-2-3-4, 4-2-3-4 That's 8 bars. And you don't have to count all the way up to 32. Just up to 4.

I never even thought of countinf like that. It;s not that I can't count to 32, it's just that I lose where and the hell I am at. I am still trying to master beat matching, before I start to really focus in on phrasing. But as I do beat match I try to do it as the phrases change and as I go through the different bars. But if I don't get it now I don't care, it will all come in time.

Jimi-Jack, I listened to part of your mix the other night. First off, I expected massive trainwreck after massive trainwreck. Don't get me wrong, your mix wasn't good. :rolleyes: But it surprisingly wasn't as bad as I would've expected from someone only spinning for a few months. I'd have to say it was better than I expected, but you did make some of the exact mistakes I would've expected from someone who hasn't taken any lessons or gotten any pointers.

First off, you need to work on your phrasing. New samples are almost always introduced or taken away on a phrase. That means if you match up the phrases between the two tunes you're mixing, you'll be able to mix in and out without any offensive sound clashes. If you don't have it phrased, even if you have the beats perfectly matched, it'll sound like shit. There were a few mixes you had where you've got the beat matched, but because they're not phrased, the effect you'd have on the dancefloor would be that some poor soul who's rolling nuts would be doing the Nordic Track (1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4...) and all of a sudden, because your phrases aren't matched, you'd cut out the beat on him and he'd end up tripping over his own feet and falling flat on his ass. Phrasing is important. Remember that.

Secondly, faking it like you did on your first mix between the two versions of Rapture won't fool anybody. :D You know what you did. Don't do it again. :D

Some tips. While you're starting out, always keep a count in your head to know where you are in terms of phrases in a tune. After a while, you'll just be able to feel when a new phrase will begin (most people can feel it naturally. e.g., you know how sometimes you're on the dancefloor, and you just know the exact beat where you'll hear a particular sample or a breakdown come in? That's a phrase). Until you can feel it without counting, just know that 8 bars (or 32 beats) will get you one phrase. Sometimes it's 16 bars (64 beats). But if you do 8, that'll be good enough for now. How do you know when to start counting? Well, you can start from the first beat of the record, and count in groups of 32. Or the first beat after a breakdown also starts a new phrase. In your case, with the fairy trance you listen to, that means listen for the snare drumroll. That usually lasts a few bars. Right when the snare drumroll ends and the kick drum kicks back in, that's a new phrase. :D

That's about all I have time for. Not bad for someone starting out. Trust me, once you understand phrasing and are able to do it between every mix, even if you trainwreck, you'll still be able to keep a decent flow in your mix. Ok, I take that back. If you trainwreck hard, it'll suck. But if you have a minor wreck, it's still ok.

please tell me you got the re-mixed one???

if you didnt get the (re-mixed) one you need to get that!!! not the other one

Originally posted by dcsglow

please tell me you got the re-mixed one???

if you didnt get the (re-mixed) one you need to get that!!! not the other one

I got whatever was on AG. If you want to push me the right one, I'm logged onto AG all day. Just send it to my user in our group.

Originally posted by vicman

I would really like to check out Jimi's mix, but I'm not about to waste 10hrs downloading a set from Jimi when I could use those 10hrs to download a set from much better dj's than Jimi....for example Tony Draper

FAWKER!!!!!:mad: