Clubplanet Nightlife Community

when failure is an option....

so everyone that knows me has heard me bitch and whine and moan about this paper for a conference in france. i have been working hard on this for the last 3 months - and while i haven't exactly had the best work habits, i put in a good deal of time and effort. the conference is in paris, and if my paper got accepted i would get a chance to fly for free there. two of the keynote speakers have been my idols since high school (douglas hofstadter and marvin minsky) and the chance to meet them f2f would be a dream come true.

however my paper will not be ready in time. the deadline is in 12 hours, and i have at least 2 weeks left of work to do. i have never failed at anything academically in my life, but it does not look like it will be possible to finish this on time. my advisor is submitting two of his own papers to this conference so he's been completely MIA.

so the only thread connecting academia and the business world is that you are responsible for your own success - how dedicated and how innovative you are will decide how far you go. i feel terrible not being able to meet the first challange of my academic career. in the time remaining, i will push as hard as i can but realistically it ain't looking pretty.

anyone have any advice on dealing with disappointment?

(besides, of course, going out and finding a girl that looks just like her, banging her and then leaving her)

peaz,

rob

ps as of this afternoon i will have my masters degree!

. . . well . . you're one up on a great majority of people in this world . . You understand what has been lacking in your effort, and you've resigned yourself to the fact that you will fail . .

. . . The key now that you know where you stand, is to understand the flaw (which you do) and correct it, so next time you'll be in top form for success . . .

. . Disappointment is just another type of pain that this world dishes you to build something . . . it's your choice on what you do with that impetus . . .

failure is just as important as success... if not moreso...

and one can never learn their limits if they do not go beyond them and fail...

chalk one up for life on the scoreboard and try again...

FUCK!!!!! we're not submitting. i think i'm going to sleep for a month.

there'll be other conferences, but man i really liked the vibe of this one. i guess i can only grow and learn to be more accountable to myself from this, but realistically this is going to hurt for a while. i devoted so much of my life, and missed out on so much to make this deadline. who would have thought changing the world could be so complicated?

Rob-

First, Congrats on your impending degree! Whoo hoo!

Secondly, everyone needs to deal with lack of academic success and this just happens to be your time and day to do it. Sorry, can't offer much advice because its happening to me. I used to have a lot of problems accepting my failure, but I've come to realize just what you have - I am the one who is mostly the cause of it. If you can figure out what the cause of your problem is (mine is complicated, bad time management, stubborness, lack of motivation, etc). So alas, sleep..... because sleep is good.

:hat:

Originally posted by dub16

Rob-

First, Congrats on your impending degree! Whoo hoo!

Secondly, everyone needs to deal with lack of academic success and this just happens to be your time and day to do it. Sorry, can't offer much advice because its happening to me. I used to have a lot of problems accepting my failure, but I've come to realize just what you have - I am the one who is mostly the cause of it. If you can figure out what the cause of your problem is (mine is complicated, bad time management, stubborness, lack of motivation, etc). So alas, sleep..... because sleep is good.

:hat:

I agree wholeheartedly.

'cept that bit about sleep. What's sleep? :confused: