brooklyn NY 11231
btwn butler/douglass
F/G to bergen st
pie hole: 718-260-WAXY
fax line: 718-643-2031
URL [url]http://www.halcyonline.com[/url]
e-mail: [email]shawn@halcyonline.com[/email]

who's down?

sounds interesting . . but I don't like the "feel" of that place for open decks . . . yeah, I'll patronize them for rekkerd purchases (they got great listening stations) . . but other than that . . to . . ahem . . hip . . for me . . .

. . but anyone else who's interested, I suggest you go . .

Originally posted by phuturephunk

sounds interesting . . but I don't like the "feel" of that place for open decks . . . yeah, I'll patronize them for rekkerd purchases (they got great listening stations) . . but other than that . . to . . ahem . . hip . . for me . . .

. . but anyone else who's interested, I suggest you go . .

its a store?

Halcyon sucks!

I'm sorry but I think

they are over prized and expect

you to SHOP while

chillin to some beatz....

Great place on a Sunday morning but

I prefer OPEN DECKS in a dark hole

where there is only booze, dance space and

a loud system...

But to each his own~

it's a record shop, bookstore, magazine shop, and bar all in one; and they often have film screenings, usually on mondays, and now film screenings followed by open turntables at around 8:30...

say what you will about the 'hipster' aspects of it (jeezuz i feel like beating down the next person that complains about anyone who's Not Them is a 'goddamn hipster') do you know of another place that actually has film screenings and open turntables And also happens to be a record shop so at least you can do that if it gets boring?

some people are so quick to criticize before giving anything half a chance.

Originally posted by snoozi8

yeah I was looking up places to spin and that place has tons of parties it was reviewed by Time Out I think they said something about having one of the best sound systems

not just one of the best, THE Best sound system for a bar.

from timeoutny.com :

"There's a host of reasons why folks cherish this one-of-a-kind Carroll Gardens bar–café–record store, not the least of which is its stellar array of underground DJs. But behind the groundbreaking music and fun, laid-back ambience, it's the hardware that really makes the joint jump; rather than the glorified home stereos found at many of the city's bars, this place has a real sound system, designed by David Soto (who did the same for Vinyl) and lovingly maintained by in-house sonic swami Jesse Beyer."

303FTHALC3.jpg

IT RAWKED... totally chill... very tight dj setup - EVENT Monitors! for the dj and excellent sound system in the place overall... no judgements and no bullshit - they even got the scheduling right (people show up for the sign-up time, draw a number from a bag; then ppl choose which slot they want, in order of their number - makes sense!) ... but it's only the first monday of every month... you'll have to wait 4 more weeks to consider it and then not go anyway, folks :D

Yeah, back off da hipsters dudes,...probably the only place that gets packed for alternative electronica on a weeknight and has great vegan cookies, free popcorn with your "hipster" movie and cheap bottles of wine.

And on Saturday I got a working super-8 film camera for $5!! Can't beat that...not even at a tag sale.

Originally posted by saigray

Yeah, back off da hipsters dudes,...probably the only place that gets packed for alternative electronica on a weeknight and has great vegan cookies, free popcorn with your "hipster" movie and cheap bottles of wine.

And on Saturday I got a working super-8 film camera for $5!! Can't beat that...not even at a tag sale.

Ehem...don't we have a little manifesto to write?

and you know it will include reference to Vegan cookies, and second hand vintage movie camera's for making black and white silent avant garde films about your band of looky friends who wander around lower manhattan in retro-tribal gear, lost warriors in the urban landscape!

incidentally, last night was the first time in a LONG time when i was in any new york borough and butted into a conversation with just a few words and had it turn into meeting 4 new friends... if that's what being a 'hipster' is all about then bring on the hipsters!