Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Why Is It So Hard To Find A Good Job?

So true...

When I finally got a decent job, the interviewer and I were marveling at it all... two years ago there would have been a BIDDING WAR for me -- Java skills, numerous internships, high GPA, etc etc. These days I consider myself lucky just to be employed.

For all you computer Geeks out there, the reason you are having a hard time getting a job is because people with computer skills are a dime a dozen in a highly competative market. Just because you know some visual basic or can write some Java or copy some html and call yourselves web designers doesnt mean you are going to get a job. Believe me you have to be the best nowadays

employers are looking for top GPAs specialized certifications like Microsoft and Cisco, you have to have something extra to sell yourselves when you go out and look for a job. Believe me I am one lucky computer Geek.

Mane

Originally posted by mane

For all you computer Geeks out there, the reason you are having a hard time getting a job is because people with computer skills are a dime a dozen in a highly competative market. Just because you know some visual basic or can write some Java or copy some html and call yourselves web designers doesnt mean you are going to get a job. Believe me you have to be the best nowadays

employers are looking for top GPAs specialized certifications like Microsoft and Cisco, you have to have something extra to sell yourselves when you go out and look for a job. Believe me I am one lucky computer Geek.

Mane

It's more than that... tech companies are wisening up and being more selective. It's no longer enough to know how to turn on a computer -- or, for that matter, to have certain certifications. They're looking for people who can THINK, who can do more than write code. I got my job because the person who read my resume recognized my college and knew it was a top-tier liberal arts school. A liberal arts education, science degree, and work experience -- I have an edge over those who took the "major in CS because it's hot" route.

Originally posted by hoke

It's more than that... tech companies are wisening up and being more selective. It's no longer enough to know how to turn on a computer -- or, for that matter, to have certain certifications. They're looking for people who can THINK, who can do more than write code. I got my job because the person who read my resume recognized my college and knew it was a top-tier liberal arts school. A liberal arts education, science degree, and work experience -- I have an edge over those who took the "major in CS because it's hot" route.

.. . agreed, I managed to trump 2 MCSE/BA's for the position that I'm in now . . .The reason? . . It was either Me, who had years of help desk experience (which gave me the liberty of being able to say I've seen almost every crackpot error under the sun) combined with computer usage skills dating back to when I was nine VS. Someone who went to school, learned theory and has never applied it to any real world scenarios . . .

. . . The basic premise is this . . and if you're going into ANY business or IT related field this will aplly : You don't know SHIT until you actually utilize your skills in the real world . . . Engineers and Doctors get a pass, cause the concrete facts that they learn in school can be applied across the board in a hard scientific manner . . . Business and IT are a completely different beast, and all the theory in the world aint gonna mean squat unless you can pull it out of your ass, and FAST, at 3 in the morning so the CIO doesn't find out at the proceeding of business that morning . . .

Originally posted by phuturephunk

...and all the theory in the world aint gonna mean squat unless you can pull it out of your ass, and FAST, at 3 in the morning so the CIO doesn't find out at the proceeding of business that morning . . .

god, do we all know how true that is...

Originally posted by sexxyme

Does that mean I shouldn't major in Computer Graphic Designing?? :confused: I'll never get a job with that, will i?

Do what you love, seriously... in the long run, most people don't end up doing what they majored in anyway. But soooo many girls that I meet in this city are majoring in some form of design. Just be prepared for A LOT of competition :eek:

Originally posted by hoke

Do what you love, seriously... in the long run, most people don't end up doing what they majored in anyway. But soooo many girls that I meet in this city are majoring in some form of design. Just be prepared for A LOT of competition :eek:

Yea you're right, thanks

Originally posted by sexxyme

Yea but it's soooo hard to find one right now..i've been looking for a new job..forever..and no luck..i think im stuck with my old one for now :(

yeah, thats what I hear... maybe thats why i'm procrastinating fixing my resume... lol...